Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Member's Tees... still..!?

Time to rant...

Playing yesterday with a few mates at my old club, where two in the group are still members. We were playing off the whites but the yellows are only some 200 yards shorter... course is pretty empty for a Sunday but we had a group of old boys (55+) behind us.

Pace was good so no problems there, but on the 6th one of the guys behind marched over asking if we were green fee payers or members... no hello, no 'nice day for it', no friendliness... I say 2 members and 2 green fees and move on... he then stops me and goes on to say 'good as you wouldn't be allowed off the whites if you had no member with... blah blah..'

Firstly... why does he care... secondly... why does he need to 'police' the course... and thirdly, why does he need to be so bloody rude about it...!

I can't stand these 'golf course police' members in our game... they do my head in...

But onto my point... isn't it time this stupid and seriously out dated rule of members tees and visitor tees is removed and got rid of..? Seriously..? Shouldn't we be playing off the tees which are suited to our skill or handicap..?

I have zero interest in playing an 18 hole course that's under 6,000 yards and par 70 or above... especially if there are tees which lengthen the course...

Bring on the slope system where we can choose our tees and handicaps adjusted accordingly...

Thoughts..?
    Last edited by DCB; 28-Aug-2017 at 20:44.

Re: Member's Tees... still..!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike07 View Post
    Time to rant...

Playing yesterday with a few mates at my old club, where two in the group are still members. We were playing off the whites but the yellows are only some 200 yards shorter... course is pretty empty for a Sunday but we had a group of old boys (55+) behind us.

Pace was good so no problems there, but on the 6th one of the guys behind marched over asking if we were green fee payers or members... no hello, no 'nice day for it', no friendliness... I say 2 members and 2 green fees and move on... he then stops me and goes on to say 'good as you wouldn't be allowed off the whites if you had no member with... blah blah..'

Firstly... why does he care... secondly... why does he need to 'police' the course... and thirdly, why does he need to be so bloody rude about it...!

I can't stand these 'golf course police' members in our game... they do my head in...

But onto my point... isn't it time this stupid and seriously out dated rule of members tees and visitor tees is removed and got rid of..? Seriously..? Shouldn't we be playing off the tees which are suited to our skill or handicap..?

I have zero interest in playing an 18 hole course that's under 6,000 yards and par 70 or above... especially if there are tees which lengthen the course...

Bring on the slope system where we can choose our tees and handicaps adjusted accordingly...

Thoughts..?
    I get the gist although I've played plenty of courses under 6000 off whites that ask more than enough questions so don't necessarily buy into the length equals a challenge point. I do agree though that these on course police are a nuisance and many courses still have them. I would simply ask for their name, say their manner was rude and offensive and as members guests had every right to play off the whites. I like the fact that many courses are becoming more liberal and allow guests (even those not with a member) to play off whatever tees they want.

Shouldn't we be playing off the tees which are suited to our skill or handicap..?
    What handicap range would you suggest for each tee?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Why? Are such courses "below you"? Do you believe that such courses cannot be testing and enjoyable to play?

By the way, the slope system wont automatically bring you the chance to choose which tees you play....a club can still restrict what tees people play off in general play whether they are members or visitors if that is their desire....though I am aware that some clubs already allow players to choose (or will advise) which tees they play off depending upon their ability.

I do sympathise with your sentiment about "members tees" v "visitors tees" but must admit its not something I've ever come across. In my experience when visiting other clubs you are either allowed to play off the whites or you are not, and when I've been told I must play off the yellows I've never then gone out on the course and seen vast numbers of members playing off the whites.
    Ping Rapture 13*Ping G 16.5* 3-woodPing G 19* & 22* hybridsCallaway Apex CF16 5i-AWTitleist Vokey wedgesScotty Futura XCallaway Chrome Soft

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    No idea... impossible to say but having an option would be great. I'm not suggesting tees are restricted by handicap.

You pay, your welcome to play of any of our tees. I go to Saunton regularly and they recommend you play of the whites if your visiting but you can play off the yellows if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    Why? Are such courses "below you"? Do you believe that such courses cannot be testing and enjoyable to play?
    Not sure I was suggesting any course is "below" me..?! Playing a short course usually means driver on maybe 1-3 holes and potentially lots of par 3's... me personally, I'd rather play a longer course which has at least half a dozen par 4's over 400 yards...

Anyway... we divert...

I agree with the OP for all of his post but the below.

I don't see why he felt the need to police that, maybe a 5 ball is worth checking or similar but there is a line and IMO this crosses it.

There may be a rule in place, that's fine, unless he is a course Marshall at the time of it then it's best kept as a complaint towards those allowing it, rather than those violating it.

Thoughts..?
    As for the above I love shorter courses. Big fan of length not being the defining factor in a score.

A tight, tough, 5-6000 yard course really gets me excited, 7000 yards of long clubs doesn't. Golf has lost something special as courses have got longer.

Anyhoo, back on topic, I strongly dislike these event as nobody wins.

The group is disrupted and a nice round soured, the other person is hot and bothered, letting something small get to them.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan

Maybe the teeing areas are small, and thus due to a lot of traffic on them they are reserved for members. Maybe the white tees are reserved for comps.

If, as you say, there's only 200yds difference between whites and yellows, i.e. on average 11.1 yds difference per hole, why the temper tantrum?

Yes the guy was an obnoxious hoik... not sure being over 55 yrs old has any relevance.
    Give it big humpties

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    36-24 red tees

23-12 yellow tees

11 and under whites