Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skipping GI Irons?

I'm new to golf and can barely hit straight off the tee at a driving range never mind a course however I have a quick question which has been nagging me.

Is using game improvement irons not counter productive? I know they are more forgiving and I know they help you hit farther but does that not also mean you are relying on aids to correct your mistakes rather than learn from your mistakes and get better?

I'm wondering would it be better to go for lower handicap irons straight from the get go and learn from my mistakes on those to get better with the end game clubs?

Obviously this is all a long way off for me at present as I'm still only learning and I do plan to ask my coach as well but I'd be interested in people's opinions and experiences. Did anyone else skip the GI irons?

Re: Skipping GI Irons?

Take as much help as you can from the equipment. Have a look at what many Tour players are using, it's not far off a GI club in many cases. To play well with a more classic looking blade you really need to be hitting the ball out of the sweet spot and with consistency. A GI iron will give a bit more assistance on off centre hits and will still travel a reasonable distance. An off centre hit on a blade will not go anywhere near as far.

Don't make life hard for yourself, choose something that you like the looks of and that gives you as much help as it can. The game is hard enough without adding to the stress with the wrong clubs. Ask your Pro what he thinks you should be looking at as he will know what you need based on your swing and ball striking.

Welcome along to the forum, hang around and get involved and you may pick up useful info along the way

Golf is a hard game,why make it harder when starting out?
    Personally I wouldn't be looking at "better player" irons for a while.
    This game isn't much fun if you can't hit the ball in intended direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Take as much help as you can from the equipment. Have a look at what many Tour players are using, it's not far off a GI club in many cases. To play well with a more classic looking blade you really need to be hitting the ball out of the sweet spot and with consistency. A GI iron will give a bit more assistance on off centre hits and will still travel a reasonable distance. An off centre hit on a blade will not go anywhere near as far.

Don't make life hard for yourself, choose something that you like the looks of and that gives you as much help as it can. The game is hard enough without adding to the stress with the wrong clubs. Ask your Pro what he thinks you should be looking at as he will know what you need based on your swing and ball striking.

Welcome along to the forum, hang around and get involved and you may pick up useful info along the way
    Beat me to it 😳

Spot on 👍🏻

It is true you may grow out of big offset irons quickly if you improve your swing.

However there are many GI irons without too much offset.

One tip is ignore the top line, many people fall into the trap of needing to see a thin top line.

Another tip is have more hybrids and less long irons. Even down to a 5 iron replacement is a good idea.

Money List Winner

Regardless of the equipment you are using people tend to learn from their perceived mistakes rather than the actual issue.
    They adjust what they are doing to make the equipment work for them.

Golf, like skiing, is a sport that is best learnt without strength ie technique is everything to start with. Equipment that gives the best chance of delivering positive feedback from correct techique is the best starting point.

Would also point out that many your professionals use GI equipment; they also develop stock shots which is also a little counter to the workability of non-GI equipment!

When you can hit a high draw, low draw low fade and high fade at will, to a specific target, but wish to be able to do it in a more exaggerated manner, bin the GI irons...
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

I started with a super Gi set, the pro told me to bin them at the first lesson! (Maybe it was the second...)

My uncle off 6 got me a set of mid cavities, still use them today!

They got me my first handicap of 17 and got me down to 11.

It's a tough route but I was in my mid 20s with enough cash for lessons and plenty of free time.

If you can't put the time in then it's GI every time. If you can put the time in and your swing gets off to a good start then the more playable end of GI clubs is an option.

Wouldn't recommend my route, was blooming hard work and I got lucky with my time and money I could throw at the game. I was at the club 5 days a week in the summer!

GI all the way mate, as already said, why make the game harder for yourself?

There are some Speedblades for sale on here, wish I'd never sold mine and I'd be all over them if I was buying again.
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Q-School Graduate

Correctly fitted irons is the most important thing, nothing worse than trying yer hardest to get everything rite only to be thwarted by an ill fitting set of clubs, believe me, I know, as many on here will...

Problem is that when yer just getting into the game 'forking out mega dosh' fer a set of custom irons is the last thing on yer mind, understandably...

It shouldn't make a great deal of difference what heads are on the end of the shaft if yer using properly fitted irons 'but' there's no shame in using GI's...

Some of the sweetest irons I've ever hit were 'Mizuno T-zoid pro II' which were a sort of blade/muscle back, beautiful to hit, all smooth and buttery like but 'for me' they just lacked any real distance...

Have a sneaky peak in yer fellow golfers bags if you get the chance, odds on 99.9% of'em will be swinging GI's...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Head Pro

Iv got some old mizuno jpx 800hds which are horrendous to look at about as wide as a house brick but my god they are easy to hit, they come out when my swings gone tits up for whichever reason it chooses