Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Cigarette Ends...litter?

Now my club has recently asked that smoker members consider their fag ends as they would such as a sweet paper - to be disposed of carefully and with consideration. This means that discarded fags ends are considered to be litter.

Now I have never smoked and whilst I will pick up any rubbish I come across on the course and carry it to the nearest bin (next tee usually) - I cannot - just cannot - pick up fag ends as just the thought of doing so almost makes me wretch. Indeed I do wretch whenever I try and do so.

So what thinks smokers? Fag ends just another sort of litter? And how about smokers doing the decent and right thing and picking up the discarded fag ends of others less considerate and who have been more willing to litter the course.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Re: Cigarette Ends...litter?

I am not a smoker either, and I 100% agree. It is litter and should be put into the bin as all other litter should. I am not one to say what others can and cannot do, but I do find it pretty disgusting when standing on a tee box or even trying to putt and all i can smell is someone else's smoke. There have been times when I have had a cigarette butt on my line on a putt and it is absolutely disgusting.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Fag ends and chewing gum...been in someone else's gob so i wont be picking them up.
    http://www.bangorgolfclubni.co.uk
    TM M2 Driver R11s 5W Cally 1 iron TM MC TP 3-pw Irons wedges and a putting thing.

"i'll quit smoking when you quit whining''

untitled (8).jpg
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Nothing more inconsiderate than dead fag butts left on a green or fringe, or anywhere really on a course.
    In fact, anywhere except the smokers own home or garden.
    Forever trying.

Agree it's a litter issue but is the problem not that the thing is on fire?

In that regard you can't lob it in a bin or pick it up and carry to a bin until you've waited a few minutes to make absolutely sure it's out.

They'd need to start putting ashtrays out beside the bins or a bucket of sand at the least.

I sometimes enjoy a few smokes but hate to see fag ends dropped anywhere, especially on a golf course.
    My golf bag always has a couple of cheap travel ashtrays for me to keep tab ends in until i empty it in a bin.

I have sometimes 'lent' one to others if i see them drop a cigarette, i dont usually get them back - good job they're only cheap!
    In the Bag:
    Calloway XR driver, 3 wood, hybrid
    Mizuno JPX900 hot metal irons & wedges
    Scotty Cameron futura 5w
    srixon AD333

Could be your most uncontroversial post to date... absolutely disgusting and yet so many smokers seem to think they don't count as litter.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Could be your most uncontroversial post to date... absolutely disgusting and yet so many smokers seem to think they don't count as litter.
    And there was me thinking it was controversial. Wonder if, when we see a smoker playing companion chuck a fag end down, we should point out that they are littering
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Q-School Graduate

I help to maintain the garden in front of our clubhouse, it really gets me annoyed with the number of smokers who think the garden is an ashtray.