Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comp over two days, 2 CSSs or not?

My wife's club has some comps split over 2 days, eg this week, Saturday and Tuesday. (Tues normal Ladies day, and weekend times for those who work for a living!)

Anyway , my Mrs comes home well pleased with her 38 points. Looking forward to the comp closing on Tuesday night so she can see what she has been cut. Just took a call from her to say she got cut one full shot today...

...So, comp still in play on Tuesday and clearly the CSS for Sat has been calculated,

So, looks like its "one comp" but a "CSS for each day"............ a new one on me. Is this usual? ... I can see why it might be logical!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Re: Comp over two days, 2 CSSs or not?

Yes, we play 2 events (Spring Cup & Autumn Cup) each year. Both are treated as two separate rounds for handicap purposes, but the competitions themselves are over both rounds. Normally the handicap cut doesn't affect the second round, ie both rounds are played off the starting handicap of round 1 for the net prize purpose.

Yes, usual and proper way of doing it. We have an alternative medal on the Friday and the medal on the Saturday and each day has its own CSS calculated but it's the one comp.

Yip different css to reflect different conditions on each day. Of course no corresponding adjustment to competition scores to reflect that, or the fact they may have played a different course. I hate the whole concept of alternate day medals.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Thanks for the confirmation...
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Head Pro

Our club champ is 36 hole - 18 holes one day 18 holes the other. Two different CSS. So you get cut each day or up .1 each day. But you play off the same handicap for both days.

However my understanding is CSS is calculated over 18 holes only. So for example a 36 hole will always have two CSS - Whether its played over two's days or one!
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Many a club used to run comps over both days of the weekend, lump all the cards together on Monday morning and close the comp.
    It used to annoy me if I was playing on the cold, windy, rainy day and others played on the calm, sunny day...
    But that's how it was done.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's still done
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Many a club used to run comps over both days of the weekend, lump all the cards together on Monday morning and close the comp.
    It used to annoy me if I was playing on the cold, windy, rainy day and others played on the calm, sunny day...
    But that's how it was done.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's still done
    happens monday to friday in the midweek comp at ours, luck of the draw and worth it to allow more people to play than fixing it to say Wednesday afternoon as plenty do
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

We have a major over the bank holiday. Play two rounds over any three days of the long weekend (you can choice which days you want to play) and CSS is always calculated on each day

Q-School Graduate

It is quite common practice for a comp to be held over more than one day but the player retains their handicap as at the start of the competition for the next round.

However it is necessary for the CSS to be calculated for the first round as the player may play in another comp between rounds and would have to play in that at their revised handicap if it has changed.