Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Q-School Graduate

Re: Traveling light...

Quote Originally Posted by Region3 View Post
    Presumably, if you were confident with your driver, 5 and 6 iron you'd have 14 too?

I agree that it's pointless (or even detrimental if you're tempted into using them) to have clubs in the bag you're not confident in, but surely the solution is to learn to hit those clubs rather than suggest that 11 is enough when you might have a 40yd gap in the middle of it.

Just my tuppence worth.
    To be honest with you between my 3-wood, 22* and the 8 iron (in various combinations) I've pretty much got the fairways covered, just one or two par-3's which are proving to be a little stubborn 'well' one in particular...

Challenge Tour Pro

I played yesterday with 14 clubs in the bag and every single one of them was used at least once. Might not be the case so much when playing off the yellows though.

I occasionally go round our 9 hole course with just a 5 or 6 iron and a wedge and shoot just a couple over par. Makes me wonder why I even carry a putter.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    I played yesterday with 14 clubs in the bag and every single one of them was used at least once. Might not be the case so much when playing off the yellows though.

I occasionally go round our 9 hole course with just a 5 or 6 iron and a wedge and shoot just a couple over par. Makes me wonder why I even carry a putter.
    I'm beginning to think it may well be a cleaning issue, I like everything to be nice and spangly when I step up on the 1st tee you see but on the flip side of that is I don't much like cleaning so maybe I've got it into me subconscious mind that the less clubs I use during a round means there'll be less cleaning to do at the end...

I like cleaning my golf clubs, change your attitude to cleaning, learn to love it, your handicap will surely drop then!

Tour Rookie

I have a 14 way divider carry bag that fits on my electric Trolley just right.. I hate pulling a club out and have 2 come for the ride so each has its own slot except for driver and 5 wood as they bigger slots at the top I have a brolley in one and other for these 2 clubs

Carry 13 clubs atm I own 16, the stock pw for my set lives in the porch. As does the 5 iron. My 3 wood I haven't seen for 3 months since I lent it to a mate who I just haven't seen for a few months. He was playing in the tribury and wanted a 3 wood so lent him mine lol

If I came to a course and they banned trolleys I'd ditch a few to loose some weight but if I'm electric trollied up might aswell carry them all incase I need em

Always the full compliment. As a trolley user I can get away with it and a load of stuff in the bag as well. If I carry on a summer night I'll still take the full set but manage to streamline the other rubbish. Makes you wonder why I do carry so much other stuff

I'm with the the minimal crowd.

Usually just seven clubs: D, 5w, 4i, 7i, PW, 56deg, Putter.

I have gone around with just the 5i, PW and putter in the past and didn't do all that much worse than usual.

bm

When I am playing at my home course I ususally have the full set, at least during summer when I use the trolley. Whenever I travel abroad or in winter, so basically when I plan to carry my bag most of the time, I slim it down some and take out the 7 wood, the 25° hybrid (or sometimes the 5i, they both go about the same length) and one or two of the irons. So typically it would be something like driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, SW, Putter.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

I have 13 in the bag at the moment. It was 12 for ages but I recently got a couple of wedges, then took the 3 wood out since it never got used. I want to get a new 4/5 wood to replace the old 5 wood, so I'll be staying on 13 clubs for the foreseeable future.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

at my home club i pretty much have to use every club in the bag at least a couple of times per round. i did an experiment a few years ago to see if i did need all 14. I put head covers on all the irons and once i used a club i didn't put it back on the iron. 3 rounds using all of them apart from the 3 iron once game me the answer.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017