Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipping Help

Assistant Pro

Chipping Help

I am having major problems from about 30yrds from the green up to the green with my chipping, from 50 yards I usually pitch the ball but round the green hopeless, shanking hitting it fat double rappers...is there a simple video on the net that would help me ,I have seen simple ones From J furick..(spelling wrong) and others but I just need simple advice ..ball position etc wedge rolls 1/2 8 iron 1/3 6 iron 1/4 .I have tried clubs specially for chipping but they don't work.
    I know I can go to local pro ,but need a little advice so I can put the time in to remedy my chipping.
    Stats... 71 years old 23 handicap, should be 16/17...keen golfer play 2/3 times per week

Challenge Tour Pro

Tour Rookie

Re: Chipping Help

Also these:

If you know of / like Mark Crossfield:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5sJeHrPMY

If you want to try a slightly different approach called 'Linear Chipping':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOOwv3tWV9g
    Woods: Callaway X-Hot
    Hybrids: Srixon ZH45 3h & 4h
    Irons: Srixon Z545 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 50 and 56, Wilson Staff 60
    Putter: Odyssey Sabretooth
    Ball: Srixon AD333
    Handicap for 2017: 18.6 > 17.6 (GPR) > 18.2 (6 x +0.1)

Q-School Graduate

Chippers or 'Texas wedges' as they're more commonly known are good practice aids, supposed to be used like a putter although a little more 'user input' and they're good for about 30yds (a little more if you get the swing right) I've got a 'Slotline inertia chipper' that I use sometimes if my chipping gets a bit wayward, soon gets you back on track although a little 'bump n run' with an 8 iron does the same job if used in the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Also these:

If you know of / like Mark Crossfield:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5sJeHrPMY

If you want to try a slightly different approach called 'Linear Chipping':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOOwv3tWV9g
    Big advocate of linear pitching and chipping. There is another more recent chipping video from Gary Smith here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpe8iXkMZc

Think of it as a putt. That has helped me the most. Set up to it in all the ways the tip videos describe, so weight forward, hip slightly open if you like, hands a little forward and all that, but then just sroke the ball with the feeling you would have for a longer putt, so just by rocking the shoulder-line. I found that helps to keep the wrists and especially the upper body calm and also to accelerate through the ball even though the movement as a whole is rather slow.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

bobmacs advice of setting up an iron across two range buckets works.

You try and hit the ball under the shaft, magically the ball goes over it! It's a great strike training tip.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    Chippers or 'Texas wedges' as they're more commonly known are good practice aids, supposed to be used like a putter although a little more 'user input' and they're good for about 30yds (a little more if you get the swing right) I've got a 'Slotline inertia chipper' that I use sometimes if my chipping gets a bit wayward, soon gets you back on track although a little 'bump n run' with an 8 iron does the same job if used in the same way...
    I always thought a Texas Wedge was when you putted from off the green, only heard it referenced once though, when Constatina Rocca holed out in the Open after a duffed chip to force a play off against Daly

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post
    I always thought a Texas Wedge was when you putted from off the green, only heard it referenced once though, when Constatina Rocca holed out in the Open after a duffed chip to force a play off against Daly
    Basically it's a lofted putter, around the 45* mark I think...

ps, 35.5* apparently... IMG_1145.jpg
    Last edited by Face breaker; 14-Aug-2017 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    Basically it's a lofted putter, around the 45* mark I think...

ps, 35.5* apparently... IMG_1145.jpg
    You don't really need to buy one of these and use up a slot in the bag when you can just play a putting stroke with your 8 iron to achieve the same effect.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9