Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got wood !...

Re: I got wood !...

Currently got a BB 7 wood adjusted to 20° and with a 5 wood shaft in it....
    Goes like a rocket
    Had one in the bag in and off for years...
    Epic 10°
    Fusion 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    CF 16 6-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Hit it, stick it on greens and let others call you whatever they want. If it gets the ball going forward in the right direction what's the issue?

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Hit it, stick it on greens and let others call you whatever they want. If it gets the ball going forward in the right direction what's the issue?
    No issue at all, took it out for its first knock about tonight and it did exactly as I asked of it 'reduced our 196yd-5th to a quivering wreck' a nice easy swing off the tee and the ball just headed straight at it, ended up with a '3' net '2' also got my lowest score so far with the new irons 'gross 86-net 65' off 21...

Whilst I'm here can I pick some brains concerning a 6i issue, the issue is 'I can't hit the bloody thing' any suggestions as to why that might be would be most appreciated...

A little more info on that subject, I can hit my 7/8/9/pw/sw/50* and 60* irons absolutely spot on, my 3-wood, 22* hybrid and now the 7w are all good to go but the bloody 6i has got the beating of me for some reason and it's really beginning to niggle at me...

I carry a 5i but god knows why as I don't use it (dead weight) I carry the 6i but once again 'I don't use it' could this be the issue, a lack of practice with it...

What would you chaps do in my situation, I don't use the 6i, I've no real need for it, I've got other clubs that do the same job, would I be best off just shoving it in the locker and forgetting about it ?...

ps, that's 6 irons in general, not just the new one...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 12-Aug-2017 at 21:10.

Hit your 7 iron and then try and hit your 6 using the exact same set up - stand the same distance from the ball, grip down on the shaft if you have to, ball position the same. You should hit it just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    No issue at all, took it out for its first knock about tonight and it did exactly as I asked of it 'reduced our 196yd-5th to a quivering wreck' a nice easy swing off the tee and the ball just headed straight at it, ended up with a '3' net '2' also got my lowest score so far with the new irons 'gross 86-net 65' off 21...

Whilst I'm here can I pick some brains concerning a 6i issue, the issue is 'I can't hit the bloody thing' any suggestions as to why that might be would be most appreciated...

A little more info on that subject, I can hit my 7/8/9/pw/sw/50* and 60* irons absolutely spot on, my 3-wood, 22* hybrid and now the 7w are all good to go but the bloody 6i has got the beating of me for some reason and it's really beginning to niggle at me...

I carry a 5i but god knows why as I don't use it (dead weight) I carry the 6i but once again 'I don't use it' could this be the issue, a lack of practice with it...

What would you chaps do in my situation, I don't use the 6i, I've no real need for it, I've got other clubs that do the same job, would I be best off just shoving it in the locker and forgetting about it ?...

ps, that's 6 irons in general, not just the new one...
    Buy a 9 wood.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldArmChewer View Post
    Buy a 9 wood.
    Good shout as you are having success with the 7 wood

Alternative you could be something like a Mizuno Fli-Hi 6 iron replacement

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-clubs/jpx/jpx-fli-hi/
    Cobra King F6 10.5* regular
    Cobra King F6 14.5* 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 Wood Project X
    Callaway XR 22* 4hybrid Project X
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 5 Iron Orochi Red Eye
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 6 Iron Orochi Red Eye
    Adams Blue 7-PW regular
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB Black Pearl 48/52/56 Wedges
    Bettinardi Kutcher Model 1 Putter
    Bridgestone, Callaway, Nike, Srixon, TM, Titleist, Vice, Wilson balls
    Motocaddy S1 Lite & bag

Challenge Tour Pro

Most players have what I call a 'transition point' in there clubs for me it used to be the 4 iron and has now become the 5 iron. My reason is simply because I just do not hit the thing often enough.

I used to go to the range regularly and most practice was done with a 5 iron these days range practice is only about twice a year and I only need the 5 iron about once or twice in a round.

So my advice would be to practice with the 6 as a club of choice.

Q-School Graduate

Well I shoved it in the locker this morning with a view to coming back to it at a later date, I just don't need it at the moment !...

This morning I hit a 3w 200yds or so off the 1st tee to within 250yds of the green (short drive for me but being the first swing of the day and all) I then hit the 22* a further 150/160yds which left me with a sub 100yd flop/lob onto the green (pitching wedge) which ended up about 4ft from the pin for a one putt giving me a 4 net 3, one under par...

This 'generally speaking' is how my rounds pan out for the most, long/longish 3w off the tee followed by either the 22* or another 3w which 'generally' leaves me with a sub 150yd shot into the green and as long as I pull that off I'm larfin 'putting aside that is' which can range anywhere from a single long putt to several short'ns depending on the type of day I'm having...

Depending on how I get on I may look into a hybrid fitting and just stick with the short irons, dunno yet, we'll just have to see how it goes fer now !...

Carry this smart hitting into comp rounds and you'll soon have enough winnings to get a lesson and learn to hit the 6 iron properly. FOr me, it's no different as a 7 iron and I treat it exactly the same

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Carry this smart hitting into comp rounds and you'll soon have enough winnings to get a lesson and learn to hit the 6 iron properly. FOr me, it's no different as a 7 iron and I treat it exactly the same
    That's the part that I just don't get as after all it's only a half inch longer and maybe a degree flatter than the 7i but the way I've been hitting it of late you'd have thought it'd come from another cosmos altogether, just don't get it, anyway it's in solitary confinement for the foreseeable future but I may get round to it at a later date, lucky for me I don't rely on it and I hardly ever used it anyway...

ps, been spying hybrid equivalents on eBay this avo...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 13-Aug-2017 at 20:20.