Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I got wood !...

Q-School Graduate

I got wood !...

Yesterday I managed to pick up a real tidy set of 'King Cobra 3100I/h' irons and a matching 7-wood to go alongside them for what can only be described as 'loose change' from the bottom of my pocket...

Now, as some may know I've recently been struggling with certain club/swing related issues the biggest of which being 'distance' well as of this morning I can now confirm that that issue has been well and truly put to bed as I now see a consistent 140 with the 8i and I've got a sneaky suspicion that I may even have spotted a hint of a draw on several occasions this morning...

Anyway back to the wood thing, does anybody here use a 7-wood or is it the done thing to use a hybrid instead these days, only reason I ask is cos, well, all I can say is 'Wow' what have I been missing for the last few years ?...

As covered earlier it's a '3100I/h' 7-wood in 'stiff flex/steel' that matches the rest of the irons, now having only used a 3-wood previously and hybrids for everything else (which I'm struggling a touch with I mite add) my first tentative swing with it this morning saw a sweet, medium height, penetrating drive with a touch of draw thrown in for good measure and about 160yds, now bare in mind this was first thing this morning and when I say first thing I mean 5:30am, the next several shots produced the same outcome with only slight variations in distance...

I'm now seriously considering this thing for use on our longer par-3's like our 196yd/5th, 185yd/10th and 205yd/7th...

Are any of you gunslingers out there regularly packing a 7-wood, do you prefer it, if not then why not or do you just see better results with an equivalent hybrid, your experiences and any pros/cons 'wood' be most appreciated please...

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

Re: I got wood !...

simply, if it works for you, then put it in your bag, do not be swayed by fashion or other peoples opinions,

You cannot argue with success
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Q-School Graduate

Numerous professionals carry a 7 wood.

Carry what works.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

I am fashionably unfashionable and I have carried a 7 wood for at least the last ten years. It works for me and is great for 160+ yard par 3s in windy conditions for example. Also for most of my second shots on par 5s. I carry an adjustable Nike rescue too and find it is a lot easier and consistent for me to hit than my 5 iron.

As Phil says, if it works for you then go with it. It's scores what counts, guv. Not what the latest trends are.
    I used to have a signature until it became unfashionable.

Q-School Graduate

Without a doubt it's already carved out its place in my bag, not sure what's gonna get relegated as of yet, I carry a 22* hybrid which can be a bit 'hit n miss' at times and I hit it to roughly the same sort of distances but could I reasonably expect the 7w to be a bit longer or is 160/170 about right for it, so far I've hit about 25-30 shots with it and not a single hook/slice/top/fat/thin/sky/shank or duff in sight...

Challenge Tour Pro

7 woods are really great if you get on with the extra shaft length compared to hybrids.

I keep one for use on our 9 hole course because I love the drop and stop I get from it. Sadly these days those I have lost about 20 yards with it so it no longer suits the 190 yard par 3. Fantastic club for getting good distance out of the long grass.

I used to carry both a 5 wood and a 7 wood but found myself virtually always reaching for the 7 so I ditched the 5

be prepared to be called a tart by most of the nw possy, as my personal experience can attest to

an seen as I don't have one anymore... ye big tart

seriously tho, cracking clubs. I found the older versions worked better for me.
    H'cap 14.8

Quote Originally Posted by davemc1 View Post
    I found the older versions worked better for me.

Same here... I reverted to an older model until it fell apart on finding an unexpected root in the rough...

Have nearly always carried a 7 wood as even on the worst of days it's always been a club I can rely on...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Me too for an older model. My Callaway X (8 or so years old) is probably the favourite club in my bag after driver & putter.
    I used to have a signature until it became unfashionable.

Had one in the bag for donkeys years and I would not be without it. Why anyone worries about what other people think about what they have in the bag is silly. As people have said it if works for you go for it.
    Handicap 14.6 I don't believe it !
    In the bag

Driver Ping Rapture 12 deg
    3 wood Ping G25
    5 wood Ping G25
    GW-5i AP2s 710
    Hybrids RBZ -25
    Putter Rife two bar hybrid
    Club www.hazelgrovegolfclub.com