Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

How often per round do you pull the chief

One of the most frequent pieces of advice given to golfers is to leave the driver in the bag and take 3-wood/iron off the tee.

I'm curious to hear how many of us heed this advice or whether the lure of that extra distance at the risk of a wayward shot too much to resist. Or is the driver indeed one of the more reliable clubs in your bag that you've as much chance of hitting a fairway with as any.

For me it's the latter, I pull out the chief on 12 holes during a regular knock around the home track and it's known as being fairly tight. The only times I don't are for the 4 par 3s, or on the couple of short par 4s where driver is too much.
    Cobra ZL 9.5° driver - Motore F1 Stiff
    Cobra S3 15° 3 wood - Stiff
    Nike CPR 18° hybrid - Stiff
    Adams Idea Pro CB1 4-GW - Project X 6.0
    Vokeys 54° & 58°
    Odyssey Versa # 7
    h/c - 18.0>18.1>17.2>17.7>16.8>15.9

Re: How often per round do you pull the chief

Off our normal white competition tees I'll use it 8 times on average, off the blues another 3 times probably.
    The only reason I don't use it on all the other par 4's is that it'd go too far and put me in trouble, ie by cutting across doglegs or into ditches etc
    H'cap: 5
    In the bag:
    Driver: Titleist 915 D2 - 9.5* - Diamana Blue 60 X
    5 Wood - Titleist 913 - 16* - RIP Phenom stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 - 19* - Diamana Blue 70 S
    Irons: Titleist TMB - 4 iron - DG AMT S300
    Titleist AP2 - 5 & 6 - DG AMT S300
    Titleist CB - 7 to PW - DG AMT S300
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 - 50*, 54*, 58* (M or S grind - I forget which)
    Putter: Odyssey Works Tank Versa #1 Wide
    member at: http://www.kedlestonparkgolfclub.co.uk/

I use driver 4 times around my home course. 3 wood on all the other par fours. We have a very tight tree lined course and if youre off line youre pretty much dead. Most holes are a 3 wood and a flick wedge in fairness if you keep it in play.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Callaway XR 10.5° - Projext X 6.0
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Blue
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50,54 & 58 all V-MG
    • Putter - Odyssey Tank Versa No.7
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

5 maybe 7 times around depending on how i'm playing/wind etc. I used to pull it for all par 4's and 5's but realized its not needed. Fairway is better than the rough. Sure I still go in the rough taking something else off the tee, but it is not as deep and generally not as wide.

Just got myself a 3 wood again but that goes consistently 225 yards and straight so that will be my go to club when needed.
    In the Bag:

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 degree Grafalloy blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Callaway X Hot pro hybrid 16 degree
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
    Nike VR S400 56/10
    Odyssey versa #7 BWB

Handicap - 19.5

http://www.mintogolf.co.uk/

Last year would have had driver out on 12/13 holes whereas this year, that's probably nearer 9/10. Trying to be a bit more conservative and play for position this year. There are some holes where gaining an extra 30 yards isnt that beneficial but a miss is pretty penal.

Probably 4 times. 1st, 8th, 11th and 14th. Other par 4's and 5 I'll hit 4-wood.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 5-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Club Champion

Normally every hole apart from par 3's. Got much more confidence with it than with a fairway wood or hybrid so using it doesn't reduce my chances of finding the fairway - its normally the opposite.

18 holes, 5 par 3, 8 par 4, 5 par 3, I use it on everything but the par 3, so 13 times. My driving is the best part of my game.
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->15.2

13 to 16 times, including on the longest par 3 (which plays about 175 yards off the ladies' tees). There are two short par 3s where I can reach the green with a hybrid or iron. And there are three of the par 4 holes where water comes into play with the driver on a good hit, so I sometimes go for the hybrid or a 3-wood there. But actually, whenever I try to hit something other than driver for "safety" or "accuracy", it fails miserably. There is just no other club which gives me that much confidence on the tee. Ball sticking up in the air like a lollipop, huge clubhead, what can possibly go wrong?
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

7 or 8 times. Could be slightly higher or lower depending on wind direction and if im driving well.

We have 5 par 3's. There is also 2 par 4's which only require an iron to get to the corner so it is very rare I use it here. Our first is also only 270 yards long but has OOB on the right, so would normally lay up here and just flick it on with a wedge.

I don't shy away from using the driver, it is actually my best club, just some holes on our course don't suit the driver as you can run out of fairway or it narrows in the landing area
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank