Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Tightening an Adjustable Driver

I have a Callaway driver which allows me to adjust the loft and lie should I wish.

I was playing earlier in the week and it started to make a strange noise when I hit my tee shot.

On examination the head had become loose and as I had the wrench in my bag I could have tightened it but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to.

I know I couldn't alter the setting during a round and the problem happened during the normal course of using the club but could I have used the tool?

In the end I didn't but it would be good to know a definitive position for future reference.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Titleist 910 H 18 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.9

Head Pro

Re: Tightening an Adjustable Driver

Yes you are allowed to tighten it, as long as no adjustments are made. Rule 4.3

Tour Winner

I would say yes you can tighten it under 4-3 - but that it's the note to rule 4-3 that gives the clarity you seek by specifically including "the clubhead becomes loose" in the "substantially damaged" category.

Without that, it might be less clear because the rule keeps referring to "damaged clubs" - and l guess there's an argument to be had as to whether a loose screw counts as "damage"?
    Handicap Challenge - 18.2 (7 Aug)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Head Pro

In this specific case I can't see any room or reason for any argument or debate. There is specific and clear reference to repairing a loose club head. OP - clear as day - you can tighten the head within the rules as it is this that repairs a loose clubhead in your case

P.S Phil Mickelson done exactly this in the Masters several years ago - can't quite remember which year
    Last edited by jusme; 11-Aug-2017 at 05:46.

Tour Winner

If the scews have become loose when they are not intended to, what else is it but damage? Just tighten them.

Q-School Graduate

You can tighten them no problem.
    But you should tell your marker of your intention and ask someone to witness it just to cover your self from any future allegations.
    I know this seems over the top but it's happened to one of our members and rumours started ,always protect yourself.