Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Golf Shoes - Life of DryJoys?

I've stuck with FootJoy for years and years but my last few pairs seem to have a shorter and shorter lifespan.

Given that I'm of advanced, mature years I wouldn't say I'm hard on shoes: I have walking shoes older than my grandkids! I bought my latest pair of DryJoys in October 2015 and now the uppers on both shoes are parting company with the soles in exactly the same position (inside seam, next to big-toe joint). The previous pair did about 2+ years and failed in the same place: the pair before that lasted longer, again the seams parted. Shoes are cleaned and waxed regularly

I know FootJoys now only provide a 12month warranty so I'm not here just to moan or to ask about my consumer rights and all that bull - life's too short.

What I'm keen to know is what life you get from your shoes?
    What make would you recommend for a good standard leather shoe that comes with a wide fit option?

Re: Golf Shoes - Life of DryJoys?

I have to say that I am of the opinion that golf shoes are getting worse and worse. I had a pair of Adidas which I bought from Sports Direct when I started playing for 25 and they lasted me about 7 years, OK the first 5 of those years they were barely used, but the final 2 years they were used at least once a week. I then bought a pair of other Adidas shoes which lasted two years and then backs completely gave in.

And then I decided it was time for new shoes so went for the Adidas Tour Boost 360s, they lasted about 2 weeks and the back of one of them just fell apart. I now have a pair of Nike which are starting to fall away from the sole after about 2 months.

The Nike are very very comfy and would recommend, think I have the Lunar command. But the fact they are starting to peel away at the sole is pretty disappointing.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

When i started playing golf 11 years ago FJ i was lead to believe the best and the first couple of pairs were brilliant, these were LT and lasted a good couple of years each and stayed waterproof in that time. alas every pair since have been poor, not to mention was waterproof as a teabag. then the pro shot at Nairn started stocking Ecco. suited my feet (wide) no end and never had to specify a wide fitting since. have a few pairs of Gortex and 2 pairs of spikless Bio M and a couple of pairs with spikes. the ones i have worn out have lasted 5 years plus.

recommended Ecco esp if you have wide feet. the leather is very good quality and doesn't stretch so the shoes are miles too big after a while.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Tour Rookie

^^^ Thanks for your comments.

I was thinking I'd check out Ecco.

I love FJ Fry Joys. My first pair lasted 6 years and I played loads. This current pair won't see out their 4th and I have played alot less!

Definite decline in the reliability and longevity of FJ Dryjoys based on my own experience.

Ecco have the best reputation of all shoe manufacturers IMO
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

The best golf shoes I've ever had were FJ Greenjoys when I first started playing. Gloriously comfy, totally waterproof, I got 4 years out of them. Every pair since have been a disappointment.

I obviously bought Greenjoys again but they were clearly different and inferior. I then had FJ AQL, poor, three pairs of Stuburts in a year, all failed under warranty, and I am currently in a pair of Puma shoes. They are okay but not special and I am working on getting 2 years out of them.

Considering the high cost of golf shoes now they are not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    I have to say that I am of the opinion that golf shoes are getting worse and worse. I had a pair of Adidas which I bought from Sports Direct when I started playing for 25 and they lasted me about 7 years, OK the first 5 of those years they were barely used, but the final 2 years they were used at least once a week. I then bought a pair of other Adidas shoes which lasted two years and then backs completely gave in.

And then I decided it was time for new shoes so went for the Adidas Tour Boost 360s, they lasted about 2 weeks and the back of one of them just fell apart. I now have a pair of Nike which are starting to fall away from the sole after about 2 months.

The Nike are very very comfy and would recommend, think I have the Lunar command. But the fact they are starting to peel away at the sole is pretty disappointing.
    Same! I'm still wearing a pair of adidas ones I must have had about 8 years now. They're just starting to look a bit battered so I'm on the lookout for a new pair now. But all the stories on here, it seems like you're lucky to get 18 months out of a pair.

They don't make 'em like they used to!
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Dunlop Tour 60
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Head Pro

I have always been a fan of FJ and I know that their size 9 always fits me really well. But I have had a pair of FJ Freestyle for a couple of years and the the webbing has split on the front making them useless in the wet. I haven't given them hard use, I wear boots in the winter and I alternate with Dryjoys during the season.

I have a pair of dry joys in my locker that I still use occasionally (winter). I also have a pair of DNA's- comfiest shoes I have ever worn, but the spike / Clete system is poor. Check out Sketchers. They are getting rave reviews ATM. I have a spineless pair and they are great!

I'm happy to get anything more than a year out of a pair of golf shoes, especially with what we put them through.

I've now got a decent amount of shoes so I rotate them and obviously get much out of them.