Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Long putters

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    2

    Long putters

    It was not surprising that Bernard Langar won the senior British open in those strong winds.
    When you use a normal putter your arms are away from your body so you are exposed to the wind.

    with Langars long putter his hand is not touching his body but his arm is across his chest so it's acting as a very good firm anchor against the wind.

    why don't they ban these putters, then everyone is equal?

  2. #2
    Q-School Graduate Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    846

    Re: Long putters

    I don't know why they banned anchoring anyway? What does it matter how you knock the ball in the hole as long as you use a golf club? If anchoring was so much better why wasn't every single player doing it that way when it was allowed?
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Dunlop Tour 60
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

  3. #3
    Money List Winner paddyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I don't know why they banned anchoring anyway? What does it matter how you knock the ball in the hole as long as you use a golf club? If anchoring was so much better why wasn't every single player doing it that way when it was allowed?
    it was being used more and more as the default style for many golfers. not just old geezers with the yips. they still allow kuchar to anchor....

  4. #4
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    12,826

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    it was being used more and more as the default style for many golfers. not just old geezers with the yips. they still allow kuchar to anchor....
    an american friend was saying in the states it was getting to the point where you hardly saw a normal short putter anymore
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

  5. #5

    Re: Long putters

    They shouldn't have banned anchoring. As others have said, if it was such a massive advantage it would have been the default style for most people. It wasn't.

    It's a stupid rule IMO, as it can be nigh on impossible to see if someone using a broomhandle is actually making bodily contact with their arm, and if they are, whether it's truly "anchoring" or just a bit of light contact.

    Plus you could make the argument that someone using a short putter with an action that means their upper arms are in contact with the side of their body is, in fact, anchoring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    with Langars long putter his hand is not touching his body but his arm is across his chest so it's acting as a very good firm anchor against the wind.
    Langer is not anchoring. He has said time and again that he isn't and high up officials in the game have agreed. Why are people questioning his integrity? He's never come across as someone who flouts the rules and I've seen occasions where he's called himself up on fouls.
    Last edited by Don Barzini; 10-Aug-2017 at 13:15.

  6. #6
    Q-School Graduate Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    846

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    it was being used more and more as the default style for many golfers. not just old geezers with the yips. they still allow kuchar to anchor....
    To his arm though. Surely you can use your arms to hold the thing. Anchoring relates to the mid-section (stomach/chest) surely.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Dunlop Tour 60
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

  7. #7
    Assistant Pro Yant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    131

    Re: Long putters

    Think you're missing the point when you say "if it were that easy everyone would do it".

    The point is that people turn to Anchoring because they can't putt (or can't putt well) with a short putter. Banning anchoring is correct IMO and so should locking the shaft in place against your wrist and arm al la Kuchar. That's also anchoring and should also be banned.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

  8. #8
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    12,826

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    They shouldn't have banned anchoring. As others have said, if it was such a massive advantage it would have been the default style for most people. It wasn't.

    It's a stupid rule IMO, as it can be nigh on impossible to see if someone using a broomhandle is actually making bodily contact with their arm, and if they are, whether it's truly "anchoring" or just a bit of light contact.

    Plus you could make the argument that someone using a short putter with an action that means their upper arms are in contact with the side of their body is, in fact, anchoring.



    Langer is not anchoring. He has said time and again that he isn't and high up officials in the game have agreed. Why are people questioning his integrity? He's never come across as someone who flouts the rules and I've seen occasions where he's called himself up on fouls.
    have a look at footage of any of the top am comps in the US and you will see long putters were the norm, college golf to long putters the norm. its not true to say it wasn't the norm in the US.

    granted not over here.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

  9. #9
    Q-School Graduate Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    846

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Think you're missing the point when you say "if it were that easy everyone would do it".

    The point is that people turn to Anchoring because they can't putt (or can't putt well) with a short putter. Banning anchoring is correct IMO and so should locking the shaft in place against your wrist and arm al la Kuchar. That's also anchoring and should also be banned.
    It's just another method of hitting it though, I don't understand the problem. If someone decided they could chip better one handed should that be banned as well? What if someone putted with the right hand all the way down the shaft by the putter head, should that be banned too?

    Edit: I could understand if you said putters over a certain length should be banned - because that pertains to equipment, and thus makes sense to me. Like how driver heads over a certain size are banned, sharpened grooves etc. But I don't see the logic in banning what you do with your clubs.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Dunlop Tour 60
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    12,826

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    It's just another method of hitting it though, I don't understand the problem. If someone decided they could chip better one handed should that be banned as well? What if someone putted with the right hand all the way down the shaft by the putter head, should that be banned too?

    Edit: I could understand if you said putters over a certain length should be banned - because that pertains to equipment, and thus makes sense to me. Like how driver heads over a certain size are banned, sharpened grooves etc. But I don't see the logic in banning what you do with your clubs.


    its more of an issue in the US, plus and its not a golf stroke like you do with any other club. you don't stick your driver shaft in your belly button to hit it do you?
    Last edited by patricks148; 10-Aug-2017 at 15:01.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

A Level Results 2017 Golf Gift Ideas

Is a golfer close to you getting their A Level results today and you want to reward their hard work with a golfing gift? Here are some ideas...

August 17, 2017

Suzann Pettersen OUT of Solheim Cup

In a huge loss for Team Europe, eight-time Solheim Cup player Suzann Pettersen is out of this year's match with a slipped disc injury

August 16, 2017

Wyndham Championship Golf Betting Tips

The final event of the PGA Tour season before the FedExCup Play Offs begin is this week, check out who we think will do well with these Wyndham Championship Golf Betting Tips

August 15, 2017

Paul Lawrie Match Play Golf Betting Tips

The European Tour is in Germany this week and for a different event to the usual strokeplay events, check out who we think will win with these Paul Lawrie Match Play Golf Betting Tips

August 15, 2017

Last chance for FedEx Cup playoffs at Wyndham Championship

Its the final PGA Tour event before the lucrative FedEx Cup playoffs this week. The players have gathered at Sedgefield CC in North Carolina to contest the Wyndham Championship.

August 15, 2017