Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Long putters

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    2

    Long putters

    It was not surprising that Bernard Langar won the senior British open in those strong winds.
    When you use a normal putter your arms are away from your body so you are exposed to the wind.

    with Langars long putter his hand is not touching his body but his arm is across his chest so it's acting as a very good firm anchor against the wind.

    why don't they ban these putters, then everyone is equal?

  2. #2
    Journeyman Pro Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Long putters

    I don't know why they banned anchoring anyway? What does it matter how you knock the ball in the hole as long as you use a golf club? If anchoring was so much better why wasn't every single player doing it that way when it was allowed?
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • WilsonStaff DX2
    H'cap J/F M/A M/J J/A S/O N/D end yr review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0

  3. #3
    Money List Winner paddyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,056

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I don't know why they banned anchoring anyway? What does it matter how you knock the ball in the hole as long as you use a golf club? If anchoring was so much better why wasn't every single player doing it that way when it was allowed?
    it was being used more and more as the default style for many golfers. not just old geezers with the yips. they still allow kuchar to anchor....

  4. #4
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    it was being used more and more as the default style for many golfers. not just old geezers with the yips. they still allow kuchar to anchor....
    an american friend was saying in the states it was getting to the point where you hardly saw a normal short putter anymore
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

  5. #5
    Assistant Pro Don Barzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    165

    Re: Long putters

    They shouldn't have banned anchoring. As others have said, if it was such a massive advantage it would have been the default style for most people. It wasn't.

    It's a stupid rule IMO, as it can be nigh on impossible to see if someone using a broomhandle is actually making bodily contact with their arm, and if they are, whether it's truly "anchoring" or just a bit of light contact.

    Plus you could make the argument that someone using a short putter with an action that means their upper arms are in contact with the side of their body is, in fact, anchoring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    with Langars long putter his hand is not touching his body but his arm is across his chest so it's acting as a very good firm anchor against the wind.
    Langer is not anchoring. He has said time and again that he isn't and high up officials in the game have agreed. Why are people questioning his integrity? He's never come across as someone who flouts the rules and I've seen occasions where he's called himself up on fouls.
    Last edited by Don Barzini; 10-Aug-2017 at 13:15.

  6. #6
    Journeyman Pro Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    it was being used more and more as the default style for many golfers. not just old geezers with the yips. they still allow kuchar to anchor....
    To his arm though. Surely you can use your arms to hold the thing. Anchoring relates to the mid-section (stomach/chest) surely.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • WilsonStaff DX2
    H'cap J/F M/A M/J J/A S/O N/D end yr review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0

  7. #7
    Head Pro Yant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    279

    Re: Long putters

    Think you're missing the point when you say "if it were that easy everyone would do it".

    The point is that people turn to Anchoring because they can't putt (or can't putt well) with a short putter. Banning anchoring is correct IMO and so should locking the shaft in place against your wrist and arm al la Kuchar. That's also anchoring and should also be banned.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

  8. #8
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    They shouldn't have banned anchoring. As others have said, if it was such a massive advantage it would have been the default style for most people. It wasn't.

    It's a stupid rule IMO, as it can be nigh on impossible to see if someone using a broomhandle is actually making bodily contact with their arm, and if they are, whether it's truly "anchoring" or just a bit of light contact.

    Plus you could make the argument that someone using a short putter with an action that means their upper arms are in contact with the side of their body is, in fact, anchoring.



    Langer is not anchoring. He has said time and again that he isn't and high up officials in the game have agreed. Why are people questioning his integrity? He's never come across as someone who flouts the rules and I've seen occasions where he's called himself up on fouls.
    have a look at footage of any of the top am comps in the US and you will see long putters were the norm, college golf to long putters the norm. its not true to say it wasn't the norm in the US.

    granted not over here.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

  9. #9
    Journeyman Pro Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Think you're missing the point when you say "if it were that easy everyone would do it".

    The point is that people turn to Anchoring because they can't putt (or can't putt well) with a short putter. Banning anchoring is correct IMO and so should locking the shaft in place against your wrist and arm al la Kuchar. That's also anchoring and should also be banned.
    It's just another method of hitting it though, I don't understand the problem. If someone decided they could chip better one handed should that be banned as well? What if someone putted with the right hand all the way down the shaft by the putter head, should that be banned too?

    Edit: I could understand if you said putters over a certain length should be banned - because that pertains to equipment, and thus makes sense to me. Like how driver heads over a certain size are banned, sharpened grooves etc. But I don't see the logic in banning what you do with your clubs.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • WilsonStaff DX2
    H'cap J/F M/A M/J J/A S/O N/D end yr review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Long putters

    Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    It's just another method of hitting it though, I don't understand the problem. If someone decided they could chip better one handed should that be banned as well? What if someone putted with the right hand all the way down the shaft by the putter head, should that be banned too?

    Edit: I could understand if you said putters over a certain length should be banned - because that pertains to equipment, and thus makes sense to me. Like how driver heads over a certain size are banned, sharpened grooves etc. But I don't see the logic in banning what you do with your clubs.


    its more of an issue in the US, plus and its not a golf stroke like you do with any other club. you don't stick your driver shaft in your belly button to hit it do you?
    Last edited by patricks148; 10-Aug-2017 at 15:01.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Pepperell holds off Fisher for maiden win in Qatar

Eddie Pepperell held off fellow Englishman Oliver Fisher to claim his first European Tour victory in the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters.

February 25, 2018

Sergio Garcia Swing Analysis

Here we take an in-depth look at the swing of 2017 Masters Champion Sergio Garcia

February 23, 2018

Tiger Woods To Hit “Four Or Five” Drivers A Day At Honda Classic

The 14-time major winner will surely hit more fairways this week at PGA National, revealing he's only going to hit "four or five" drivers per round

February 22, 2018

Smarter Ways to Lower Scores 2018 powered by Cobra Puma Golf

2 golfers will get the chance to lower their scores the ‘smarter way’ this year via our bigger and better 'Smarter Ways to Lower Scores 2018' project powered by Cobra Puma Golf

February 21, 2018

4 Ways to Improve Your Short Game Strikes

In this video, GM Top 25 coach John Jacobs shows 4 fail-safe chipping methods to help you stop wasting shots around the greens

February 21, 2018