Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How much progress can you make without lessons?

I forgot to add earlier that I do really enjoy watching YouTube videos, particularly Me And My Golf, as I think their videos are really good. It's not specific to you of course, but they give loads of really good tips that I've tried to incorporate into my game which has helped a lot, particularly with my driving, iron striking, and general course management.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Dunlop Tour 60
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Maybe another question might be "how much progress do you want to make?" I believe we all have innate abilities that can take us quite a way in many things, and some people further than others depending on their physical and mental make up. Each person could then go a step or two further with the technical help that they just don't know.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I forgot to add earlier that I do really enjoy watching YouTube videos, particularly Me And My Golf, as I think their videos are really good. It's not specific to you of course, but they give loads of really good tips that I've tried to incorporate into my game which has helped a lot, particularly with my driving, iron striking, and general course management.

I wasn't playing well for a while and was watching videos and reading magazines for tips but was getting worse and worse. I then stopped and tried to clear my head of all the little things I thought I should be doing and went right back to basics, i.e. Just swing the club while moving forward and I'm back to how I used to be.
    H/C 17

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I wasn't playing well for a while and was watching videos and reading magazines for tips but was getting worse and worse. I then stopped and tried to clear my head of all the little things I thought I should be doing and went right back to basics, i.e. Just swing the club while moving forward and I'm back to how I used to be.
    That's fair enough, I try and only take one thing at a time from them though. With driving it was about tilting the spine angle slightly. With irons it was just about the bottom of your swing arc being an inch past the ball instead of level with the ball. Those sort of things helped me. You are right though that anything more complicated than that might not work for your swing.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Dunlop Tour 60
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

YouTube videos are an unbelievably good source for learning golf. People used to try and do if from books and later VHS tapes.

Find a few guys you like and no doubt they will have covered what you are looking for.

I have subscribed to over 100 people on YouTube. Their new videos come up daily. My feed is basically like an on demand news, reviews, tips and course v-logs channel. there is too many to watch but plenty to keep me occupied.
    Mizuno mp850 Fujikura vista tour pro x big blue bad boy from GM & Mizuno powers that be! or Titleist 910 (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24 hybrid
    Titleist 915 27 hybrid
    Titleist 714ap2 6-gap
    Vokey sm4 56 wedge or winter sm6 14bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60 wedge or old trusty MD 60* 8bounce
    Bullseye putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Learning from friends is no guarantee you are learning the right thing.
    what NOT to do is mainly what i pick up from my pals!

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Maybe another question might be "how much progress do you want to make?" I believe we all have innate abilities that can take us quite a way in many things, and some people further than others depending on their physical and mental make up. Each person could then go a step or two further with the technical help that they just don't know.
    i'm not mega precious about being ace at golf. i never go the range or anything. i do love it though. playing, having a laugh, being on the course and having a beer etc. it's awesome.

Q-School Graduate

Very much like learning to drive there is a correct way to do everything but this has to be tailored to your strength and weaknesses.
    No two people are the same so basics for you may not be the same as me..
    Have a couple of lessons and make up your own mind if you improve or not.
    Most golfers don't know their own swing so would be careful taking tips from them.
    Your pro is trained to spot your faults so use his knowledge .
    good luck.

Club Champion

You can only go so far on your own, it is really quite frightening the difference between what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing. Modern technology makes a big difference, video and trackman etc really help to pinpoint faults.

If possible, get your swing video'd and it will help you see your faults.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Ploughing through lessons isn't the answer either though. Its important for the player to have the opportunity to digest what information a coach has given them and find their own way to make that work.
    This is a very good and important point.

I try and watch videos of the issue the pro has identified from as many different sources as possible as everyone understands things in different ways. One feeling won't work for one person which is brilliant for someone else, all when dealing with the same issue.
    Handicap: 12