Thread: Is CSS flawed?

Ryder Cup Winner

Re: Is CSS flawed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko_G View Post
    We finally agree on something!

we've agreed on a lot, just disagreed on more

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    What if I want to go up and get a shot back?

My point is more that if I want to maintain a handicap, and not be affected by the scores of other players, i am better off putting in supplementary cards than entering competitions.

It is crazy that if one person enters a supplementary, he is measured against SSS, but if one person enters a comp, he is measured against CSS, his own score?
    CSS, being a measure of how well or badly the entire group is playing, can obviously not be applied to one player playing a supplementary. That is why supplementaries - and small field CSS calculations - have to be judged against SSS. That doesn't make it crazy.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    CSS, being a measure of how well or badly the entire group is playing, can obviously not be applied to one player playing a supplementary. That is why supplementaries - and small field CSS calculations - have to be judged against SSS. That doesn't make it crazy.
    Yes it does. I agree totally that the whole handicap system is flawed and always maintained that it is biased towards the higher handicap however that's not really what is being done here.

Having done the course rating course I can see how flawed the whole system is from start to finish. The system isn't just crazy, it's totally bonkers!
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    What if I want to go up and get a shot back?

My point is more that if I want to maintain a handicap, and not be affected by the scores of other players, i am better off putting in supplementary cards than entering competitions.

It is crazy that if one person enters a supplementary, he is measured against SSS, but if one person enters a comp, he is measured against CSS, his own score?
    Glad I'm not alone on this.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey7 View Post
    The whole point of handicaps is to enable players to compete against one another, to do that they have to be a refelction of one players ability relative to anyone elses Handicaps were not devised to identify our playing ability against the course.
    you get your handicap playing the course though when you put your three cards in initially.
    Theres no css to determine how hard the conditions are
    I tend to agree others scores should not determine my hcap.
    If I play am and conditions are bad but improve for others pm their scores do affect my hcap that's not right.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    you get your handicap playing the course though when you put your three cards in initially.
    Theres no css to determine how hard the conditions are
    I tend to agree others scores should not determine my hcap.
    If I play am and conditions are bad but improve for others pm their scores do affect my hcap that's not right.
    So if there is no CSS and you always find yourself playing in dreadful conditions for a length of time but your playing ability does not change, your handicap is likely to keep going up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jates12 View Post
    Our Par is 68, our SSS is 67 and our CSS is always 67. It means that you have to play 2 under your HC to get a cut. It is quite frustrating but knowing that its always there its what I try and play too. Ive only ever seen it at 68 once or twice in the 3 years ive played there and never 69.

There is always someone in with a 64 or 42 points regardless of conditions
    Rubbish!!

Sure, you need to play 2 under Par to get a cut, but that's NOT 2 under your handicap!

And there's certainly likely to be at least 1 who has 'one of those' rounds! Btw. (Nett) 64 is not 42 points!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

I think the reason he struggles to play to handicap at is home course, is more than likely the set up during the summer months.
    It's always windy there, sometimes it's that strong I've hit driver then pw on par 5's. And the corse set up doesn't take into account for the high winds.
    Knee deep rough not far from the edge of the fairway, rock hard fairways making them play narrow. Rock hard greens, impossible to hold them with the wind behind.
    And the worst conditioned bunkers known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    So he used the system, why is he complaining?
    He isn't.
    Taylormade M1 9˝°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    Rubbish!!

Sure, you need to play 2 under Par to get a cut, but that's NOT 2 under your handicap!

And there's certainly likely to be at least 1 who has 'one of those' rounds! Btw. (Nett) 64 is not 42 points!
    Youve not read the whole thread have you? this has been discussed and im aware of this now, but thanks for reiterating the point. I never said 64 was 42 points. You have assumed i meant this, they were two random figures.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5° - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50°, 54° & 58° all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk