Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is CSS flawed?

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Is CSS flawed?

I would agree with the idea that who is playing has a very strong bearing on the CSS.

Recently at our club I played two days apart in virtually the same weather and course conditions, both comps off whites.

In one comp the CSS was one under the SSS in the other the CSS was 2 over SSS. The difference being was that in the comp where the CSS was 2 over every player was aged 55 or over with a lot of over 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    The argument about extremely dry conditions is simply an extension of the different courses suit different players strengths and weaknesses one. It can apply across 2 courses as much as different conditions on the same one. It's a more general rating issue than a CSS one.
    Indeed except that the course playing firm or soft is exactly the sort of condition change CSS is intended to pick up.

Flipping it, I recently played a comp during our very wet spell which had the effect of making the course play longer. Short hitters struggled but, for me, slightly wayward shots stopped before running into trouble and the greens were so receptive it was like throwing darts. For my game, it was the easiest conditions I've played in all year but CSS went to SSS+3.

Ok you could argue, as per hobbit, that it balances out over the season but isolated examples like that make a mockery of it.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Tour Rookie

Why can't different hcap groups have a different css.?
    apart from the work load everyone would agree that a scratch golfer plays a different game than a 28 capper .
    so why is the css the same for everyone ,as there is already a tier in which we all play cat 1/2/3/4.
    That way any scores in cat 1 will only impact cat 1 players and same for all individual groups.
    Has this ever been tried.
    Is there a minimum field to asses css ?
    Its a genuine question I would like to know as I am off 6 but go from 5 to 6 regularly.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    Why can't different hcap groups have a different css.?
    apart from the work load everyone would agree that a scratch golfer plays a different game than a 28 capper .
    so why is the css the same for everyone ,as there is already a tier in which we all play cat 1/2/3/4.
    That way any scores in cat 1 will only impact cat 1 players and same for all individual groups.
    Has this ever been tried.
    Is there a minimum field to asses css ?
    Its a genuine question I would like to know as I am off 6 but go from 5 to 6 regularly.
    Wouldn't be difficult to administer as the computer works out the CSS anyway. Could easily calculate separate CSS for the classes and see who really sets the CSS or which group gets lower/higher every competition.

Away CSS is another anomaly that I don't really understand. Why should I get an extra 2/3 shots playing the same course, same condition, same weather etc as a member. Playing a course blind isn't that difficult.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Dreadfully flawed in that it often makes Buffer "one better" than I shot!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Tour Rookie

if it could be done I would think 0/9 10/19 20+ would give enough in each category to come up with a group css .
    This would be more realistic .

Ryder Cup Winner

Those that think CSS is flawed as a Cat 1 I assume were fine with it as their handicap dropped as they improved?

If you are frightened to put your handicap on the line at any course in any conditions regardless of what the CSS is then IMO your are taking the game/hobby far to seriously and are potentially playing off to low a handicap anyway.
    Last edited by Val; 08-Aug-2017 at 15:26.

Ryder Cup Winner

Cat 4 players seem to be getting the blame where its not them, their score (for men) is excluded from calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Cat 4 players seem to be getting the blame where its not them, their score (for men) is excluded from calculations.
    Not any more, it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    I think they are now included but even then it doesn't make much difference

If people don't like CSS then I'm not sure the alternative - surely the only way to judge how hard a course is playing is by looking at the scores people are putting in ? Either that or just work out everything against par and then people's HC clearly won't travel well