Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Is CSS flawed?

Re: Is CSS flawed?

The system may be flawed but its flawed for everyone. And on a windy day, or a calm day it will affect some more than others. I just don't get all the whinging about the system. If you play regularly you will be competitive because you've all suffered the same flawed system over a period of time and ended up with handicaps that will give a particular set of results over a number of comps.

If you aren't competitive your handicap will rise, and if you are shooting the lights out you will drop.

People talk about handicaps travelling well or not travelling well. Either someone plays at Carnoustie or the local pitch and putt course. Most handicaps travel reasonably well, its just in someone's head if they say it doesn't.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    The system may be flawed but its flawed for everyone. And on a windy day, or a calm day it will affect some more than others. I just don't get all the whinging about the system. If you play regularly you will be competitive because you've all suffered the same flawed system over a period of time and ended up with handicaps that will give a particular set of results over a number of comps.

If you aren't competitive your handicap will rise, and if you are shooting the lights out you will drop.

People talk about handicaps travelling well or not travelling well. Either someone plays at Carnoustie or the local pitch and putt course. Most handicaps travel reasonably well, its just in someone's head if they say it doesn't.
    I've not really considered it before but would you expect a handicap gained on a very short parkland course of about 5700 yards stand up on a 7000 yard links?

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    I've not really considered it before but would you expect a handicap gained on a very short parkland course of about 5700 yards stand up on a 7000 yard links?
    It depends on how you play.

I used to play on a very short course but my handicap was fine on long courses. Accuracy was more a limitation for me than distance. But a short hitter moving from a short to long course might struggle. Likewise a long hitting but wayward player would struggle if they went to a short, tight course from a long, wide-open one.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

i would suggest there is no reason why you couldn't convert from a short parkland to a longer links course, though none i play regularly are no more than 6700, for 7000 you would be playing an elite am comp or in the open.

but like any change it would take some getting used to, such as Run, deep pot Bunkers, wind, tight lies etc.

I started off on a short parkland course of under 6000 yards (css usually 2 under par, and moved to a links course which was maybe 500 yards longer. i struggled to start with ( even though the CSS was two more than par

Incidentally i find small slow greens far easier than massive fast ones
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i would suggest there is no reason why you couldn't convert from a short parkland to a longer links course, though none i play regularly are no more than 6700, for 7000 you would be playing an elite am comp or in the open.

but like any change it would take some getting used to, such as Run, deep pot Bunkers, wind, tight lies etc.

I started off on a short parkland course of under 6000 yards (css usually 2 under par, and moved to a links course which was maybe 500 yards longer. i struggled to start with ( even though the CSS was two more than par

Incidentally i find small slow greens far easier than massive fast ones
    yeah if you can hit a ball it shouldnt matter where you play i guess, altough cant see me ever swapping for links golf.
    COYS

yeah if you can hit a ball it shouldnt matter where you play i guess, altough cant see me ever swapping for links golf.

not many links courses around your way dear boy

The old Pro at Nairn Always said you would always get better swings from guys that learnt on parkland courses, than on tough links. Your swing is often fighting the wind and it tends to make you flat. i know a lot of great links players and lost have flatish swings, the old ones anyway
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    not many links courses around your way dear boy

The old Pro at Nairn Always said you would always get better swings from guys that learnt on parkland courses, than on tough links. Your swing is often fighting the wind and it tends to make you flat. i know a lot of great links players and lost have flatish swings, the old ones anyway
    yeah just watch out for those easy peasy ones with low sss's
    COYS

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    So if there is no CSS and you always find yourself playing in dreadful conditions for a length of time but your playing ability does not change, your handicap is likely to keep going up?
    Well it would need to if I always played in awful conditions.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jates12 View Post
    If you dont relate your score to par do you not have birdies, eagles and bogeys in your games? Everyone relates their game to par. As stated previously, and bringing it back to OP, he is saying that he doesnt like how the CSS on his own track is +1 or never higher so he struggles to play to his HC he can only play to it if the CSS is +3/+4 of the SSS. I was saying that ours was pretty much always the same but thats under the par of the golf course, which means I know i have to nett birdie at least one and nett par the rest to play to HC and that rarely changes; nothing more nothing less. Never once did I say it was indicative of difficulty.
    A course with 18 300 yard par 4s will have a gross par of 72 but the SSS of about 66/67
    A course with 18 400 yard par 4s will have a gross par of 72 but the SSS of about 70.

What does par tell you about the quality of your play?

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    A course with 18 300 yard par 4s will have a gross par of 72 but the SSS of about 66/67
    A course with 18 400 yard par 4s will have a gross par of 72 but the SSS of about 70.

What does par tell you about the quality of your play?
    Not a great deal as the shorter course could be narrow and tree lined with strategic bunkering and water hazards. The longer course could be fairways as wide as the Clyde with huge receptive greens.

The rating of courses doesn't take into consideration that golfers spray the ball about they just look at a set distance that mythical golfers hit the ball. Hazards are taken into account at landing areas.
    Last edited by Jacko_G; 10-Aug-2017 at 18:22.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf