Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Are you playing to win / compete or making up the numbers? Pessimistic?

I play for enjoyment first and foremost - that doesnt mean its not nice to win - every time i play i just try and play to my best that day, if its good enough then great - if not then there is another day. Its not my job - i dont rely on winning to support me and my family - its a great social game and it just try to relax and enjoy it.
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

Assistant Pro

Agreed on the enjoyment factor, just thought it was funny to give up before your first shot of the day. Then again I'm seeing so many pessimistic people since I started headspace 👍 its not all doom and gloom.

every time i play im thinking of nothing but winning ,it dosent always work out ,but im trying to win every time i play, it dosent become less enjoyable or that im grumpy if it all go`s pete tong .i play to win ,be it a friendly knock with mates or the club champs.i look at it that every shot is a challenge and i try to win that challenge .
    yeh im competitive and always have been no matter what sport i played ,if im not giving 100% then i just as well not be playing as i cant just knock it around the course and not try my best on every shot.
    common sense is so rare it should be classed as a super power.

Quote Originally Posted by ParParTripleBogey View Post
    In order of importance:

- Strike the ball well
    - Show consistency
    - Buffer
    - Get cut
    - To win

In short, Im not really in it to win. Im in it to get better, enjoy my golf and if I win anything, it's a bonus. I obviously want a cut too but when I start out, my first objective is to try and buffer. And in buffering, it's likely to be because I was striking the ball well (relatively speaking). Im far more accepting of a poor score than I am of poor ball striking. The latter should sort the former over the longer term.

Wild inconsistency is when my golf is least enjoyable so Im focusing or trying to be consistent (even if the scoring is very average) and enjoy it. The other benefits will hopefully follow.
    This is me as well, pretty much word for word 😁

I play to enjoy it every time and despite how it may come across on here, it's something I'm achieving in 2017. If it's a match play I'll want to win, but if I play well and get beaten by a better player then shake hands and move on. Similarly (as happened yesterday) if you play well in a strokeplay event and someone comes in with a better score to pip you, then nothing you can do. Enjoy the fact you had a good day and a cut and try again next week

Handicap comps are just a lottery so I never worry about winning, nice if I do but all I ever want is a handicap cut.

Scratch, yeah, I'm always trying to win. It's hard though!
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Money List Winner

I've always been competitive. So no matter what sport or game it is, my intention is to win.

The beauty of golf though is that "winning" for me is beating my handicap. I love the fact that no matter what anyone else does I still have something I can try to beat.

So when I lose to someone else (with a higher or lower handicap than mine), I really don't care as long as I feel I've played well.
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

I am not a very competitive person. I really don't care that much about winning (even though of course I like it if it happens, but I dont "play to win"). Actually, one of the things that makes golf more attractive to me than other sports is the fact that it feels less "competetive" in the sense that players are usually pretty supportive of each other and genuinely want the others to hit good shots as well.

I try to beat my handicap, but even if I fail to do that, I try to take all the positives from the round that I can.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter

Tour Rookie

Why go out without wanting to win?? That's just nuts. If you dont think about winning you rarely will. Be positive people, it'll do wonders for your game.

Assistant Pro

agreed nett 66,65 need to shoot level to compete :-( once a year maybe

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Handicap comps are just a lottery so I never worry about winning, nice if I do but all I ever want is a handicap cut.

Scratch, yeah, I'm always trying to win. It's hard though!
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 6.?