Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Club Champion

Question Are you playing to win / compete or making up the numbers? Pessimistic?

Just wondered as we all have handicaps but made me smile when the questioned popped up and my friend said we had no chance before a ball had been struck.

Was he just being pessimistic or do people genuinely feel they have no chance ever to compete at any level? Surely we all have a good day in us.

2017 is the year of optimistic outlook :-)

Thoughts?
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)**/** 2016: 12.0 > 8.1: **/** 2017: 8.1 > 7.?:**

Re: Are you playing to win / compete or making up the numbers? Pessimistic?

I start out hoping to win, then its to get a cut, then its to buffer, then its to break 80 gross, then its to break 85... probably missing a few full stops but no doubt you get the drift.
    Give it big humpties

Club Champion

Personally I'm not turning up unless I feel I can win, as you said Hobbit. see how the front nine goes if it's bad make it happen on a new nine for me. shoot level par for 9 and still play over your handicap but never ever do I feel before a ball is struck I've got no chance :-)

I shoot mid 80s playing and striking it well most games then the magic happens twice a year :-)
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)**/** 2016: 12.0 > 8.1: **/** 2017: 8.1 > 7.?:**

In order of importance:

- Strike the ball well
    - Show consistency
    - Buffer
    - Get cut
    - To win

In short, Im not really in it to win. Im in it to get better, enjoy my golf and if I win anything, it's a bonus. I obviously want a cut too but when I start out, my first objective is to try and buffer. And in buffering, it's likely to be because I was striking the ball well (relatively speaking). Im far more accepting of a poor score than I am of poor ball striking. The latter should sort the former over the longer term.

Wild inconsistency is when my golf is least enjoyable so Im focusing or trying to be consistent (even if the scoring is very average) and enjoy it. The other benefits will hopefully follow.

I start out to play well.... and then leave the rest to what transpires... you can't legislate for what others do.

....and as I spend all week working, getting out in the open air transcends all of it
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Challenge Tour Pro

I'm not the competitive type so for me it's the taking part that counts and as long as I've given it my best I'm happy...

On the flip side to that is that if I've played like a complete eejutt or I feel that I've been done over then I'm not such a happy bunny...

playing '28 handicappers' who hit just about everything in regulation is extracting the urine a touch and before you ask 'I dunno' is the answer to how they manage to maintain a handicap of 28 without getting cut...

I don't mind that much about winning, at the end of the day I play for fun and its not to support my family. Obviously winning is great but that will take care of itself if i play well. So my main aim is to hit the ball well and not make silly mistakes. Also try and work on what I have been practicing that week.

Obviously trying to get the handicap down, so if that means shooting 37/38 points then that is great, does not need to be a winning score for me to be very happy with my golf!
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Surely as we AMs play a handicap game we all - each and every one of us - have a chance of winning. I go out knowing that to be the case - knowing that it is unlikely given that all other competitors are in the same boat with the same aspirations and same pragmatism. As a minimum I aim to play within the buffer and if possible try and get a couple of good shots in my areas of weakness. Just doing the latter is often sufficient to give me a wee boost.

And so my chipping has been rubbish - and I am/was always a pretty good chipper. But I have kept at it and out of the blue - one round a few rounds ago - I did a couple of crackers - the rest of the game was pretty poor but in my head I was on my way to sorting my chipping.

And three rounds later all is much better - almost grand...and my overall game has pulled together on the back of that confidence boost around my chipping,

Most of the time with me, the game I most want to win is the one I play against my most unreasonable and fretful head. And if I can start winning that one then I know that winning against others will most surely follow.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 07-Aug-2017 at 15:58.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

My mindset is always to play the best shot/golf that i can. Regardless of what that results in, in the end.

This mindset helps to take the pressure off as i don't really think about anything other than that.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Buffer zone or better and I'm happy.