Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: The Ping G400 driver

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Ping are claiming head speed increases, only thing that can increase distance with restricted COR.
    the increased ball speed is because its a smaller head than usual. it's longer than the previous models but not noticeable enough for a ping owner to make the swap in my opinion

Assistant Pro

Before trying any new OEM drive get yourself down to a custom club builder. There's bound to be one reasonably near to you. Usually the cost of a fitting is discounted off the clubs you buy.

They will do the same if not sometimes much better analysis you'd get from AG and then build you a driver best suited to you out of a large amount of different heads and shafts. That's not to say the Ping won't suit you, but don't limit yourself to just the big names. Plus a custom built club will often be cheaper than the new offerings of the big names

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    the increased ball speed is because its a smaller head than usual. it's longer than the previous models but not noticeable enough for a ping owner to make the swap in my opinion
    yes agree here .
    most drivers are maxed out for distance and forgiveness and most changes are cosmetic .

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post
    Before trying any new OEM drive get yourself down to a custom club builder. There's bound to be one reasonably near to you. Usually the cost of a fitting is discounted off the clubs you buy.

They will do the same if not sometimes much better analysis you'd get from AG and then build you a driver best suited to you out of a large amount of different heads and shafts. That's not to say the Ping won't suit you, but don't limit yourself to just the big names. Plus a custom built club will often be cheaper than the new offerings of the big names
    i agree with this. alot of people think that custom fitting staff actually know what they're talking about. i know plenty of fitters that i wouldn't let fit me for a golf bag.

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    yes agree here .
    most drivers are maxed out for distance and forgiveness and most changes are cosmetic .
    This is what my coach and I were discussing last week, he said the distance limits were pretty solid and gains only come from correct fit and you optimising your swing. He did say that forgiveness levels are the only real thing that companies can work on now with the max allocated cc in drivers being used. I have a full fitting booked with him for driver and 3 wood after my holidays, they do other manufactures also, nut the g400 did feel really good, so have high hopes.
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1

Tour Winner

My mate has just bought one
    Driver ho
    Ping ho

Had a hit of it (twice) this morning when we played
    I've got to say it's the best feeling ( sound/feel) ping driver in a few years.
    The sound of the G LS TEC was dreadful
    This G400 is a "proper" driver

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Don't believe the hype!

It will not be longer than any other driver that has been fitted correctly for you.
    I disagree.

I was fitted for my SLDR some 4+ years ago and has a shortened [stiff] shaft and has, as was the theme at the time, a higher loft (12.5*).

Now since them my irons have now dropped to regular from stiff, my swing speed and general swing through numerous lessons over that 4 years will have changed substantially, as such, a new fitting will, imo, yield better distances and better dispersion as the fitting will be current and relevant to now, not 4 years ago!
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

Hcp: 16.5

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I disagree.

!
    Really...... that's unlike you
    H/C 13... ish
    www.farleighfox.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I disagree.

I was fitted for my SLDR some 4+ years ago and has a shortened [stiff] shaft and has, as was the theme at the time, a higher loft (12.5*).

Now since them my irons have now dropped to regular from stiff, my swing speed and general swing through numerous lessons over that 4 years will have changed substantially, as such, a new fitting will, imo, yield better distances and better dispersion as the fitting will be current and relevant to now, not 4 years ago!
    But would it be the driver giving you better numbers or the fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Pin-seeker View Post
    But would it be the driver giving you better numbers or the fitting?
    A combination of the 2, the statement was, 'it wouldn't give any more distance if fitted previously correctly', well I was but things change, to both the person and the technology and some drivers are more forgiving, so it's not a black & white statement IMO.
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

Hcp: 16.5