Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96
  1. #1
    Major Champion Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    19,086

    My body's broken....

    I'm not sure if it's just an age thing (I'm in denial) but I feel I am fighting every ache & pain there is to fight currently before any round of golf.

    My current issues are:

    Left arm:

    I can swing OK but if I grab of hold or pick anything up then I get a shooting pain up my left forearm. Wearing the Therapeutic Pressure Band helps it but it's not getting any better! I take a couple of Ibuprofen before round also. I've broken this arm at least 3 times in the past, I'm wondering if it's just a weakness that's now developed although it feels more like tendons?

    Right Shoulder:

    Grimaced on every shot yesterday. On release it was very uncomfortable , feels like a strain but I've not done anything to strain it. Been like this for over 2 weeks now?!

    Gout:

    Working hard changing my diet and drinking habits (tough ask) as the pain I get from the stinging gout attacks in the knuckle of my right big toe are excruciating! I'm starting to notice that I am limping from about our 16th fairway back in, not so much attacks, more a case of sensitivity, the right foot starts to feel very tender.

    Vision:

    I succumbed to reading glasses a few years back, now I wear them all the time early morning catching up on here and with work, so I'm on the phone or computer for a good few hours (too many HID says) every day. Now in the morning after reading early doors and then driving to the club (5 minutes), I find my vision is very blurred at distance and it takes anything from 30 minutes to a couple of hours for the full focus to return. I can see the ball OK on the 1st tee but it's not a clear vision down the fairway until a good few holes have been played then it's perfect short & long.

    Lower back pain:

    Whether I'm driving or sitting down for a length of time getting back up or out of the car/van becomes a bit of an effort, I'm just locking up quite quickly and need to roll and stretch my back when getting back upright. I can also find this same locking up effect when simply walking the dog, the lower back starts to tighten up and I have to stop and roll my body to ease the discomfort.

    Cramp:

    Getting cramp in my calves at night in bed, the pain and initial attack is horrendous. I have loads of water/squash for hours during the day and night so it's not dehydration. My calves feel quite hard all the time now for some reason, so the slightest thing and the cramp kicks in?

    Premature....(we'll give this one a miss)

    Anyone else noticing massive changes to their body or did when reaching a particular age, this isn't or hasn't been something that's crept in over a few years or months, I feel this has just hit me all at once?

    I see 70, 80 year old plus seniors out on the course so I feel my problems are or shouldn't be anything to concern myself with or complain about, but I was extremely fit when in the forces and afterwards for many years when I left, I know fitness is the hardest thing to gain and easiest to lose, but I feel broken and it can't be a lack of exercise?
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

    Hcp: 16.5

  2. #2
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,553

    Re: My body's broken....

    Vitamin deficiency?

  3. #3
    Grand Slam Winner Smiffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gods waiting room.....
    Posts
    21,197

    Re: My body's broken....

    I get absolutely knackered nowadays Robin. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was able to walk (carrying as well!) 36 holes a day, 6 days on the trot on our trips up to Scotland.
    These days, 36 for one day does me in and I'd much rather play 18 decent holes than 36 mediocre ones.
    I played 18 last Sunday at Calcot Park with Johnny Dee, Slasher and Gordon, followed that up with 18 at Sundridge Park on Tuesday with Richart, Leftie and Topoftheflops, and was really struggling on the closing holes.
    With me, it's my legs and feet. I used to have fairly decent upper leg muscles and could cope, but I have lost a lot of muscle mass over the last 5 years or so and it really does show late in a round.
    Just part of getting old I guess................. and being bloody lazy.
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

  4. #4
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Worcester Park
    Posts
    5,576

    Re: My body's broken....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I'm not sure if it's just an age thing (I'm in denial) but I feel I am fighting every ache & pain there is to fight currently before any round of golf.

    My current issues are:

    Left arm:

    I can swing OK but if I grab of hold or pick anything up then I get a shooting pain up my left forearm. Wearing the Therapeutic Pressure Band helps it but it's not getting any better! I take a couple of Ibuprofen before round also. I've broken this arm at least 3 times in the past, I'm wondering if it's just a weakness that's now developed although it feels more like tendons?

    Right Shoulder:

    Grimaced on every shot yesterday. On release it was very uncomfortable , feels like a strain but I've not done anything to strain it. Been like this for over 2 weeks now?!

    Gout:

    Working hard changing my diet and drinking habits (tough ask) as the pain I get from the stinging gout attacks in the knuckle of my right big toe are excruciating! I'm starting to notice that I am limping from about our 16th fairway back in, not so much attacks, more a case of sensitivity, the right foot starts to feel very tender.

    Vision:

    I succumbed to reading glasses a few years back, now I wear them all the time early morning catching up on here and with work, so I'm on the phone or computer for a good few hours (too many HID says) every day. Now in the morning after reading early doors and then driving to the club (5 minutes), I find my vision is very blurred at distance and it takes anything from 30 minutes to a couple of hours for the full focus to return. I can see the ball OK on the 1st tee but it's not a clear vision down the fairway until a good few holes have been played then it's perfect short & long.

    Lower back pain:

    Whether I'm driving or sitting down for a length of time getting back up or out of the car/van becomes a bit of an effort, I'm just locking up quite quickly and need to roll and stretch my back when getting back upright. I can also find this same locking up effect when simply walking the dog, the lower back starts to tighten up and I have to stop and roll my body to ease the discomfort.

    Cramp:

    Getting cramp in my calves at night in bed, the pain and initial attack is horrendous. I have loads of water/squash for hours during the day and night so it's not dehydration. My calves feel quite hard all the time now for some reason, so the slightest thing and the cramp kicks in?

    Premature....(we'll give this one a miss)

    Anyone else noticing massive changes to their body or did when reaching a particular age, this isn't or hasn't been something that's crept in over a few years or months, I feel this has just hit me all at once?

    I see 70, 80 year old plus seniors out on the course so I feel my problems are or shouldn't be anything to concern myself with or complain about, but I was extremely fit when in the forces and afterwards for many years when I left, I know fitness is the hardest thing to gain and easiest to lose, but I feel broken and it can't be a lack of exercise?
    Nice try, but you're still not getting any more shots this afternoon…..

    Know what you mean, I've had an issue with my left shoulder for nearly six months now right hand for about 4 months. Possibly an age thing or side effects from tablets. Have you taken it to your GP mate? I keep meaning to, but like you, see others just getting on with it so find a reason not to.

  5. #5
    Major Champion Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    19,086

    Re: My body's broken....

    Quote Originally Posted by drdel View Post
    Vitamin deficiency?
    My wife has just brought me home some Osteocare Calcium Magnesium Vitamin D, Zinc tablets to take with a main meal. Makes me feel like a knackered old Labrador!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    I get absolutely knackered nowadays Robin. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was able to walk (carrying as well!) 36 holes a day, 6 days on the trot on our trips up to Scotland.
    These days, 36 for one day does me in and I'd much rather play 18 decent holes than 36 mediocre ones.
    I played 18 last Sunday at Calcot Park with Johnny Dee, Slasher and Gordon, followed that up with 18 at Sundridge Park on Tuesday with Richart, Leftie and Topoftheflops, and was really struggling on the closing holes.
    With me, it's my legs and feet. I used to have fairly decent upper leg muscles and could cope, but I have lost a lot of muscle mass over the last 5 years or so and it really does show late in a round.
    Just part of getting old I guess................. and being bloody lazy.
    Must say 36 is taking it's toll on me currently or even back to back 18 holes over 2-days. Going to try and do some kind of light weights with the calcium tablets and build up some muscle, I was really toned in earlier life and even in my 40's, still very strong but can find myself out of breath quickly at times also. Need to do more different kinds of exercise I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    Nice try, but you're still not getting any more shots this afternoon…..

    Know what you mean, I've had an issue with my left shoulder for nearly six months now right hand for about 4 months. Possibly an age thing or side effects from tablets. Have you taken it to your GP mate? I keep meaning to, but like you, see others just getting on with it so find a reason not to.
    I don't do doctors, anyway, if I rang mine I might get to see him in about 4 weeks!
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

    Hcp: 16.5

  6. #6
    Grand Slam Winner Smiffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gods waiting room.....
    Posts
    21,197

    Re: My body's broken....

    Can't remember Robin. Do you smoke?
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

  7. #7
    Tour Winner Maninblack4612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    South Shields
    Posts
    3,112

    Re: My body's broken....

    I'm 70 & take daily Glucosamine, Chondritin, Green Lipped Mussel, Omega 3 & Vitamin D3 tablets. I can swing the club back beyond the horizontal (I try not to!) & although I'm stiff when I get up the morning after golf it goes off quite quickly. Can't remember (touch wood) when I last had a golf related injury. I'm not sure how much these supplements help but I'm scared to stop taking them.

    I find that Naproxen works better than Ibuprofen.
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

  8. #8
    Ryder Cup Winner Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    11,249

    Re: My body's broken....

    Saw a Consultant a couple of weeks back. "You do know we'll be operating on your lower back and neck soon?" Me, "no you won't. I've not finished playing golf yet."

    The pain yesterday afternoon and evening through to the wee small hours was excruciating but worth it for the two excellent rounds at St Andrews. When the morphine can't cover the pain I'll consider the alternative.

    Shear bloody cussedness i guess but after being told in 2005 I'd be in a wheelchair in 5 years I decided it would be a lot longer.
    Give it big humpties

  9. #9
    Major Champion Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    19,086

    Re: My body's broken....

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    Can't remember Robin. Do you smoke?
    Nope, never.
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

    Hcp: 16.5

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    13,446

    Re: My body's broken....

    old age,
    i suffer with Tennis elbow, a dodgy knee ( broken is 7 places playing Rugby), sore shoulder, sore big toe joint ( broken playing cricket) and my feet hurt.

    its only going to get worse.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

    The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Golf To Scrap Viewer Call-Ins On Rules Infringements

Golf's governing bodies have responded to the Lexi Thompson debacle in April

December 11, 2017

Shubhankar Sharma wins Joburg Open

Shubhankar Sharma of India held his nerve to win the weather-delayed Joburg Open at the Randpark Golf Club by three shots from South Africa’s Erik Van Rooyen.

December 11, 2017

Stricker and O’Hair win QBE Shootout

Steve Stricker and Sean O’Hair battled through cold and windy conditions to win the QBE Shootout at Tiburon GC in Florida by two shots from Irish pairing of Shane Lowry and Graeme McDowell.

December 11, 2017

Rory McIlroy To Keep Harry Diamond As Caddie In 2018

The four-time major winner will keep best mate Harry Diamond on the bag in 2018

December 8, 2017

Rory McIlroy’s Hectic 2018 Schedule

The four-time major winner has earmarked seven events to play before the Masters, and that's without the two WGCs...By Sam Tremlett

December 8, 2017