Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Seriously Considering Giving Up

28 to 19 in a month...............I was just hitting pure iron shots for fun.

I'll tell you when you hit pure iron shots for fun....never. As your HC comes down you expect more, and it all starts again, down and down and down. Oh then up and up and up.

Empty your head of all that stuff. If you think you are hitting pure irons one week then you wont be the next week. Last october I started a medal round with a treble bogie to finish level par and wining the thing. I didn't pure many shots and it's all about perceptions and expectations as your level of golf improves.

Get out and enjoy yourself, take what comes and in a few months and years you will be playing off 15 or 12 and you will still be wanting to give up, but as if by magic, your HC has come down and that only happens by shooting lower.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week Callaway driver, 3 and 5 wood. Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Srixon Z 745/945 irons Nippon shafts, Vokey 200 series wedges 50 and 58. Odyssey works cruiser putter, Prov1x, HC 5.
    www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
    www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk

Journeyman Pro

OP golf is always goin to be a game of variables in terms of swing motion & shot results

when it all goes south on course it's about managing the emotional responses - looking objectively at the best option to take from a sticky on course situation accepting the medicine & limiting the damage
    importantly not thinking how every on course setback affects the overall results of score & what that may do to the index

have to stay in the present over the very next shot facing you - have a sound psr to set-up consistently well then a trigger to go into motion & execute - take 15 or so seconds to analyze what you can learn from the shot - then enjoy the walk to the next & repeat
    golf most of all is a target game have to have a definite target - so not just 'trying to hit it straight' or trying to avoid trouble - has to be more target focussed than a vague thought - the brain needs objective definitive focus on target in a positive way in order to allow the subconscious to control the motor functions to produce a flowing swing motion

youtube is a great resource - but only if you know exactly what you're looking for in relation to your own swing issues so what's relevant to the very particular set-up/swing issues you might have - just because a youtube video is entitled for example 'stop early extension' or 'how to shallow your transition" doesn't necessarily mean it's entirely relevant to your swing problems whatever they might be
    often times what's playing into folks issues is stemming originally from something that needs a particular workover even before you get to what the main video topic may be about

would stick with the lessons and work with the Pro - if stuff isn't that understandable to you to make a difference when out on course talk that over with the Pro

you practice but what exactly are you practicing and more importantly how are you practicing - and even more important how are you monitoring what you are practicing to know you really are working over the stuff from the lesson tee

remember practice only really makes permanent - whether it helps or improves is very much about what/how you practice and how you monitor what you practice that's real important to making practice sessions of any real benefit

as in everything it's about getting up one more time than you've been knocked down
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Golf is a hobby. If you're not enjoying it, don't play. Take some time off.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Quote Originally Posted by srixon 1 View Post
    It beats everyone up at times. You just have to try and play through it.
    This. Strip it back to what it is, a hobby to relax.

The last 3 years my golf has been shocking, but I wouldn't have been without it. 5 hours of crap golf but surrounded with great banter, good mates away from the other crap ... yes please.

I got to 7 in 2014, won 3 majors and now I'm off13 after 30+ 0.1 increases on the bounce and amend of year review. She can be cruel.
    H/C 13... ish
    www.farleighfox.co.uk

Club Champion

Thanks for all of the responses. The question 'why do you play?' Has come up a lot. After thinking about it, yes I do play for fun. So I know I shouldn't let it get to me. But on the other hand, I play to be competitive and every time I enter a comp my aim is to at least make buffer. I understand that sometimes I'll miss out and I accept that. But what I'm having trouble accepting is how I can go from being so close to a good round. Such as 3/4 35 pointers with 3/4 NRS per round, to not being able to even make a half decent connection.

I'm in the semi final of a club knockout tournament in 2 weeks time, also playing in that institution of civil engineers thing against Their Scotland, Ireland, and England teams, and it's just all seem to have fallen apart at the wrong time 😂

Also, the village idiots were ignored. Every golf club has their fair share of clowns and I guess this forum is no different 👍🏻

What Woods and Irons have you got?
    What flex are they?
    What size shoes do you take?
    What putter have you got?

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ndw7 View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. The question 'why do you play?' Has come up a lot. After thinking about it, yes I do play for fun. So I know I shouldn't let it get to me. But on the other hand, I play to be competitive and every time I enter a comp my aim is to at least make buffer. I understand that sometimes I'll miss out and I accept that. But what I'm having trouble accepting is how I can go from being so close to a good round. Such as 3/4 35 pointers with 3/4 NRS per round, to not being able to even make a half decent connection.

I'm in the semi final of a club knockout tournament in 2 weeks time, also playing in that institution of civil engineers thing against Their Scotland, Ireland, and England teams, and it's just all seem to have fallen apart at the wrong time 

Also, the village idiots were ignored. Every golf club has their fair share of clowns and I guess this forum is no different 
    Also play off 20 and one of the things to try and do is cut out stupid decision making. Bad shots happen stupid decisions we can avoid. Sometimes you just have to take the punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    Golf is not for everyone and it can get to you in a bad way, if I played off 20 I would definetly give it up.
    Didn't you have to go down from 28 to reach your current level of super star or did you just wake up one day and find you were a scratch golfer?
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

So you've been shooting 30+ points, and you've got through to the semi of the club knockout, and you're seriously thinking of giving up after two dodgy rounds...

Are being serious or just attention seeking? There's stats out there that show how many times you are expected to beat your handicap in any given year. In the early years, as you are coming down, you'll beat it maybe half a dozen times. In later years you'll buffer more and maybe beat it two or three times, staying pretty much level.
    Give it big humpties

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    So you've been shooting 30+ points, and you've got through to the semi of the club knockout, and you're seriously thinking of giving up after two dodgy rounds...

Are being serious or just attention seeking? There's stats out there that show how many times you are expected to beat your handicap in any given year. In the early years, as you are coming down, you'll beat it maybe half a dozen times. In later years you'll buffer more and maybe beat it two or three times, staying pretty much level.
    Definitely not attention seeking. Yes I WAS scoring well recently, and I understand that I won't always beat my handicap, and that's fine. As long as I get around the course, score half decently then I don't really mind. But I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere at the moment. My last 2 rounds were embarrassing and I just feel like I've taken 2 steps forward and 10 steps back and it's making me think why am I putting all this effort in.