Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Medal Winner

Seriously Considering Giving Up

Basically exactly as it says on the tin. This game is driving me mad. I started off on 28. Was taking lessons and came down to 19 within a month or so. A few bad rounds and I've found myself stuck on 20 handicap for around a year now.

Over the past few weeks I have been feeling so confident about my game I was basically just waiting for the good round to come where I'd score 40 points and I was finding the game very excited. 35 points in a qualifying round to represent the Welsh ICE team, followed by 34 points at the ashburnham, 35 points on a Saturday comp and the next day only made me more excited about my game. I just felt like I was getting so close.
    Fast forward to last weekend and my round was so poor I was embarrassed putting my card in. Even though I managed a 2 on our 14th so at least that's something at least.

I had a lesson this past week and towards the end I was just hitting pure iron shots for fun. Once again, I was really excited about what was to come and was looking forward to this weekend.

Got on the first tee, decent drive. Then a flat out top. I managed to NR 5 of the first 6 holes. I literally found myself standing over the ball thinking "I have no idea what I'm doing."

I'm seriously lost so much motivation over the past 2 weeks and I have no idea what to do. I think this game may have just beaten me.

Re: Seriously Considering Giving Up

Stop until you feel like playing again, do something else for a few weekends, it's meant to be fun.

I haven't played since March and I'm not missing it.

It beats everyone up at times. You just have to try and play through it.

Been through that and came out the other side with a 3 shot cut and £200 in my pocket.

Take a break, you will soon miss it.

I will tell you one thing, very few of us stand over the ball and know what we are doing.

A good golf swing is subconscious so we shouldn't know how to do it really as that's conscious thought.

Club Champion

I can relate to how you feel, lessons every two weeks playing and practicing almost every day and 2 weeks ago finally start playing some decent golf with gross 87 and 85 in a comps that got me 4.1 cut on my handicap to get me to 16.6. My last two social rounds was 97 and 95 and I felt like I never hold a golf club. I guess this is beauty of golf. Give yourself a couple of day rest and come back fresh with no expectation towards your game

It's important to realise that in this game there will be times when you'll play well and there will be more times when you don't.
    It's when you don't play well that you find out if you love the game or just love playing well....there is a difference
    Jack Nicklaus said that you need to learn how to lose before you can learn how to win...you lose far more than you win and you need to accept that.
    You'll know that you love the game if you play badly but still can't wait for the next round...
    I've been like that most of this year!
    Epic 10°
    Big Bertha 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    Legacy Black V 6-PW
    X 50/12
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball/TT3

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Play more golf with no card in hand...just enjoy the views, the course and the fresh air.... you'll figure the rest out.
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Medal Winner

Quote Originally Posted by adasko View Post
    I can relate to how you feel, lessons every two weeks playing and practicing almost every day and 2 weeks ago finally start playing some decent golf with gross 87 and 85 in a comps that got me 4.1 cut on my handicap to get me to 16.6. My last two social rounds was 97 and 95 and I felt like I never hold a golf club. I guess this is beauty of golf. Give yourself a couple of day rest and come back fresh with no expectation towards your game
    That's exactly it. Lessons every 3 weeks, I don't stop reading, watching videos, or practicing. The pro I have lessons with can't believe my handicap whenever I'm there. Even said the following during my last lesson "well if I can't get you off 20 I should be sacked", "I don't think you appreciate the quality of the shots you hit there." "I genuinely feel that you're giving yourself the best chance or lowering your handicap, I think you'll be down the around 10/12 in a couple of years." And then i go to my course full of excitement and hope, can't find a fairway. When I do I then can't get the ball off the floor. Devestated.

Get use to it or give up.
    It's golf,it's hard.
    You'll have plenty more bad rounds.
    Just when you think you're getting somewhere it tends to give you a kick in the arse.

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ndw7 View Post
    That's exactly it. Lessons every 3 weeks, I don't stop reading, watching videos, or practicing. The pro I have lessons with can't believe my handicap whenever I'm there. Even said the following during my last lesson "well if I can't get you off 20 I should be sacked", "I don't think you appreciate the quality of the shots you hit there." "I genuinely feel that you're giving yourself the best chance or lowering your handicap, I think you'll be down the around 10/12 in a couple of years." And then i go to my course full of excitement and hope, can't find a fairway. When I do I then can't get the ball off the floor. Devestated.
    What work for me is to have a few rounds on my own in a afternoon. Playing with two balls, after having a bad shoot I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong and hit another one from same place. What I noticed when playing on my own that I'm playing with the speed that suite me best not to slow not to fast and without any pressure. After playing today in our Texas scramble in which I played ok ish I've decided to not play golf till thursday/friday and just focus on practicing 2 hours every day on my short game, at the minute all I can think is golf but sometimes too much playing can make more harm than good so is better to take it easy
    Last edited by adasko; 05-Aug-2017 at 18:49.