Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How is it possible?

I think I'm playing the wrong sport. I'm a solid 20 handicap just came off an epic golf tour in June, played 19 rounds in 12 days in Scotland including shooting 90 on the Old course and 92 at Carnoustie.

After a 3 week break/recovery I went out to one of my local courses yesterday and for the first 9 holes could not make contact with the club face. Topped everything from driver right down to wedges.

Surely after playing 2000+ shots last month some muscle memory must be retained?
    Fortunately on the back nine I started playing (really bad) golf but at least I was hitting the club face ...

I really feel like throwing in the towel.

MickyC

Tour Rookie

Re: How is it possible?

You get days like that.

Last Saturday I shot 76 gross. Today I shot 91 gross.

Holy wow

It takes me 6 months to do get 19 rounds in
    The Bats:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero
    Titleist 915F 3 Wood
    Cobra KING 2 Iron
    Titleist AP2 716
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Handicap 2017:
    11.6 > 8.0

Assistant Pro

Feeling somewhat the same. Played on Saturday and had a great time playing some great golf (for my 20 handicap) played on Sunday and suddenly my driver had forgotten how to work and ended up killing me off the tee (so much so it's now sat in the naughty cupboard)

The joys of the game.

Yep, me too usually, this was the bucket list trip of a lifetime. Was really hard on the feet, especially the first 2 36 hole days where I really struggled. . After that the body got used to it. The golf game held up pretty well for the most part too. Probably played 3 bad rounds in those 19, 2 great rounds and the rest were pretty average scoring for me 94-97.

Doesn't explain how I couldn't make contact with the club face yesterday....

It happens to pros. One day a 66, the next a 76!

We don't get more consistent, all that happens is the gap between our good and bad round gets smaller! . (as someone said once)
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Mickyc View Post
    I think I'm playing the wrong sport. I'm a solid 20 handicap just came off an epic golf tour in June, played 19 rounds in 12 days in Scotland including shooting 90 on the Old course and 92 at Carnoustie.

After a 3 week break/recovery I went out to one of my local courses yesterday and for the first 9 holes could not make contact with the club face. Topped everything from driver right down to wedges.

Surely after playing 2000+ shots last month some muscle memory must be retained?
    Fortunately on the back nine I started playing (really bad) golf but at least I was hitting the club face ...

I really feel like throwing in the towel.

MickyC
    And you think you have problems, I have just had 2 shots added to my hanicap so now on 16 and I'm still unable to break 100, Failed to score 30 points in any of my last 5 rounds, I would be over the moon if I could shoot a 92 at the moment.

Stick with it, even go back to basics if needed.
    IN THE BAG
    Orka GS5 10* Driver, 3 wood, GS5 19*, 22* & 25* hybrid,
    Orka RS5 4-6 irons, Orka RS3 7-PW irons
    Orka J29v 52* 56* wedges, Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo putter

H/C
    2017 start 13.6, >13.7, >13.8, <13.2, >13.3, >13.4, >13.5, >13.6, >13.7, >13.8, >13.9, >15.9, >16.0, >16.1, >16.2, >16.3, >16.4, >16.5

Head Pro

The thing that most mid/high cappers struggle to accept that the only consistent thing about our game is inconsistency. Don't expect

Q-School Graduate

I know where yer coming from buddy, I played last Thursday in a 'Palladium day' and played my socks off, was nailing everything from driver to 60* wedge, went out this evening and couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, the only hole I nailed was our 4th/par-5 "5 for 3" but the rest were a complete and utter disaster, I lost more balls this evening than I've lost in the 6 months prior to tonight, unbelievable...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 24-Jul-2017 at 22:54.
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Journeyman Pro

trip to a pga pro would sort out the 'topping issue' in a couple of minutes - so wouldn't 'throw in the towel' as it is fixable

muscle memory as such doesn't really exist it's about the brain's neuro-pathways & motor control

but the answer lies in a couple of things the overall skill level the fact that you played a whole bunch of times within a shortish period of time so for that period stuff like balance & co-ordination was being repeated most days

but then a three week total break is goin to mean you definitely unlikely to come back in at the level you experienced playing everyday or every other day - but expectance was that you were then when that is not met the reaction is naturally goin to be of frustration which does noting except amplify the problems - rhythm tempo & balance goes out the window more & more the ball becomes the target so more of a 'hit at' instinct & the outcomes get worse

just take some time to seek out a pro sort out posture & alignment and how to manage low point of the swing & where the weight pressure is during the swing & all with a swing motion that finishes in balance - and you'll be back on the horse in no time at all

no-one really tops the ball through lifting the head up - though it's often times the playing partners assessment with the advice to keep the head down - which has got to be the worst piece of advice given ever in golf - just makes stuff a ton worse

it will be around stuff like the motion of the swing with possible lateral sway off the ball then too much weight pressure on the trail side so you never get back to the leadside good - so when the club comes down it's a tad steep there's a lean back off the ball the low point of the swing arc is a ways too far behind the ball so the club head is then on the up as it moves to the ball so leading edge connects above the equator of the ball

a pro will sort that out in no time at all
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -