Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Catch 22 really. Likely to be more viewers, probably worse coverage doing nothing to improve the image of golf.

Fingers crossed the BBC up their game but it seems unlikely with golf being so far down their priorities in recent years.

Pretty much sums up my view too

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    The trouble with Alliss is that I associate him with commentating on golf when I was growing up. And I am getting on a bit now. And whilst the odd one or two some commentators are timeless (Peter O'Sullevan for one), I think most have a limited shelf life and eventually fall into self parody or just become out of touch with a modern sporting audience. I admit he may have a certain charm to some, but I feel there is a much greater risk of someone tuning in and thinking it is a broadcast from the 1970s when he is prattling on.
    I prefer Allis , Maureen and co over the whole Sky team bar Dougherty - I find them just a bit less in your face. Murray and Co spent the whole time overreacting- the greatest Open ever etc etc

Clarke was woeful , McGinley was the Irish Monty , Harmon just bores people now

Enjoy Claude in the Skyzone but a lot of that depends on the player they get , thought with Rahm it was great but DJ and Koepka was like trying to drag a smile out of a stone

For me Ken Brown is just superb , radar annoys then hell out of me - a poor man copy of Feherty

The best commentary imo comes from 5live - most of the time I had that on with the Sky pictures with the only issue being the sKy stuff was a couple mins behind of both 5live and the app

Why do so many people dislike BBC's coverage? I don't find a lot wrong with it.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post

I don't dislike their coverage
    Don't mind it at all
    But they had golf, then just gave away what they had, weren't interested as didn't have the funds
    Sky do
    They do a great job

Let's just say that as of next year sky has no majors and no Ryder cup
    The BBC gets all these
    Who'd be happy..??
    Or
    Who sees the bigger picture?

Without the big events on sky, why would they bother or be interested in showing the other minor events, week in, week out...?
    They wouldn't
    Golf coverage as we know it now and take for granted would lessen and disappear
    That would be my worry

P.S. I don't mind Peter Alliss one bit 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I prefer Allis , Maureen and co over the whole Sky team bar Dougherty - I find them just a bit less in your face. Murray and Co spent the whole time overreacting- the greatest Open ever etc etc

Clarke was woeful , McGinley was the Irish Monty , Harmon just bores people now

Enjoy Claude in the Skyzone but a lot of that depends on the player they get , thought with Rahm it was great but DJ and Koepka was like trying to drag a smile out of a stone

For me Ken Brown is just superb , radar annoys then hell out of me - a poor man copy of Feherty

The best commentary imo comes from 5live - most of the time I had that on with the Sky pictures with the only issue being the sKy stuff was a couple mins behind of both 5live and the app
    It's all down to opinions and preferences. I don't agree with much you have said there but the one I take big issue with is the 5 live commentary! I had the misfortune to be relying on it for a while on Sunday driving back from the weege and someone really needs to explain to them how radio works. How close did the ball finish? Aaaargh I was shouting at them - describe what happened, how it finished up - we can't SEE it!!!! Sometimes I wasn't even sure if the ball was on the green or not!
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    It's not the BBC's coverage so much as BBC's attitude to Golf and most other sports, we know they have to please everyone and they're on a limited budget, but they've constantly over the last few years withdrawn from most sports bar 1 or 2.

They gave the Open up a year early and now the USPGA want to try something different the BBC have been handed a bonus.

As for the discussion over presenters etc that's just hot air, people have their favourites regardless of sport.

BBC currently can't compete with Sky financially and Sky currently can't compete with BBC for viewing figures.

What can't be argued with is the fact that Sky's coverage is above and beyond anyone else, the fact they won a BAFTA for their Open coverage at Troon is testament to that.

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    It's all down to opinions and preferences. I don't agree with much you have said there but the one I take big issue with is the 5 live commentary! I had the misfortune to be relying on it for a while on Sunday driving back from the weege and someone really needs to explain to them how radio works. How close did the ball finish? Aaaargh I was shouting at them - describe what happened, how it finished up - we can't SEE it!!!! Sometimes I wasn't even sure if the ball was on the green or not!
    Yeah can't disagree with that point - I'm not sure if it was Carter the one doing it - but then he has always been shocking and is stealing a living from golf

Quote Originally Posted by moogie View Post
    I don't dislike their coverage
    Don't mind it at all
    But they had golf, then just gave away what they had, weren't interested as didn't have the funds
    Sky do
    They do a great job

Let's just say that as of next year sky has no majors and no Ryder cup
    The BBC gets all these
    Who'd be happy..??
    Or
    Who sees the bigger picture?

Without the big events on sky, why would they bother or be interested in showing the other minor events, week in, week out...?
    They wouldn't
    Golf coverage as we know it now and take for granted would lessen and disappear
    That would be my worry

P.S. I don't mind Peter Alliss one bit 👍
    some good points, without majors why would sky bother, same with cricket and the ashes, what happens to domestic and overseas tours
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Great. It'll be on the red button. In fuzzy vision. What's the point? It's 2017, and most if not all the viewers have hd tellies, and some even 4k. So they will transmit in fuzzy. That will really turn people on to golf. Golf, so old fashioned even the picture is from the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Great. It'll be on the red button. In fuzzy vision. What's the point? It's 2017, and most if not all the viewers have hd tellies, and some even 4k. So they will transmit in fuzzy. That will really turn people on to golf. Golf, so old fashioned even the picture is from the 70s.
    Suppose it could be on no channel at all so there will be no pictures at all fuzzy or not fuzzy. And red button for me the picture is just as good as on the main channel - certainly was for Wimbledon. BBC will be broadcasting the World Athletics Champs at the same time so hence the need to use the ref button for a small period until they finish then the golf is on the main channel