Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

[QUOTE=: "near impossible to get it close here" *Cabrera Bello sticks it about 4 feet away* "Who said that? What a silly thing to say!"

THIS!
    2017 Handicap. Jan - 25.1. April - 19.8. May - 20.0. July - 19.7. “Golf is about how well you accept, respond to, and score with your misses much more than it is a game of your perfect shots.” Dr Bob Rotella “Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” Sam Snead"I know where I am and I know which way I am going. Only winning will satisfy me. You don't think it is possible? It is very possible!" Seve

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Yeah, have to admit I do find Peter and Ken quite amusing in a loveable old codger type way. Ken's enthusiasm for mundane things like a ball rolling into a bunker. Peter correcting himself like yesterday on a Cabrera Bello tee shot on the par 3: "near impossible to get it close here" *Cabrera Bello sticks it about 4 feet away* "Who said that? What a silly thing to say!"
    I quite like them as well, a bit like the lovable Uncle who gets drunk and swears a bit. You know it's wrong but you still like them. Somehow they badly need to bring in some younger voices though. I don't mean 20yr old Youtube geeks but pro's who haven't qualified. Get their own David Howell or Nick Dougherty. Golfers who understand the modern game better. Just as long as they don't bring across Monty, Clarke or Roe.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Why don't the BBC have a dedicated sports channel? Should have used bbc3 for that. Red button is a pain - how many people actually browse to see what's on? I believe BBC should cover all sporting major events - even if only highlights. Give everyone a chance to watch them regardless of financial position.

Quote Originally Posted by davidg2010uk View Post
    Why don't the BBC have a dedicated sports channel? Should have used bbc3 for that. Red button is a pain - how many people actually browse to see what's on? I believe BBC should cover all sporting major events - even if only highlights. Give everyone a chance to watch them regardless of financial position.
    Red button doesn't even work on Freeview I don't think - you'd have to have Sky/Virgin/etc for it to work wouldn't you? Or maybe I'm wrong.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Slazenger Firesteel 5 wood (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Dunlop Tour 60°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersofts
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

They can't afford the rights to them, simple as that. Shame, but that is the commercial world we are in. They only really show sports that are protected or ones, athletics, swimming for example, that the commercial broadcasters do not want.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

I think much will depend on what the BBC do with this opportunity in a number of areas that have been mentioned before:

1. They will be taking the host feed and so have to have a team up to both commentating when they have no control over what is being shown and also a studio team that can fill the gaps during breaks with interesting chat etc. Assuming that the BBC will not have the technology and gadgets that Sky use during gaps, the choice of presenter and guests is vital.

2. The BBC need to show as much coverage as possible and so hiding it in the schedules or only showing the last hour or 2 of each day will not cut it. Quite a few BBC viewers going to be hacked off that their Saturday nigh favourites may be moved.

3. Given the short notice of this deal, I am guessing that the BBC are not going to have a team in situ on the course. May be wrong but would be interested to see how they will deal with this if they are covering the event solely from a studio in the UK.

4. The BBC need to convince that they are not simply doing this to put 2 fingers up to Sky and have a real interest in providing top quality sports coverage.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

AND THE WINNER IS...............

http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

Handicap 14.9

Interesting development. I wonder what the coverage will be like, can't see the Beeb putting on 5-6hrs of golf on Thursday and Friday evenings. As the last Major of the year it usually got fair coverage from Sky in years past. I await this years offering to see if the Beeb can pull the iron out the fire with this.

No Ray Winstone and his "Cockernee patter" to endure every twenty minutes? Whats not to like?

Sky's coverage of The Open was very good indeed so not knocking them.

On Peter Alliss and KB? Always liked them and for me Alliss has been the voice of golf for so long. I think it would be churlish of Aunty to bin him if he didn't want to be binned. I see him as nice old uncle or granddad. Not exactly cutting-edge these days but his body of work accords him (IMHO) respect. But then I did play for The Farts at Forest Pines - so do the math as our American cousins put it.

Hope Beeb does a good job and there is perhaps a chance that more casual viewers might get intrigued when channel-hopping.
    I used to have a signature until it became unfashionable.

I don't think I could name anyone on any sports coverage that annoys me as much as Alliss. Maybe Jamie Redknapp and Graeme Souness.

Ken Brown however is a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Interesting development. I wonder what the coverage will be like, can't see the Beeb putting on 5-6hrs of golf on Thursday and Friday evenings. As the last Major of the year it usually got fair coverage from Sky in years past. I await this years offering to see if the Beeb can pull the iron out the fire with this.
    ThIs year they have already committed to broadcasting the World Athletic Champs over the period so at times the golf will on the red button until the Athletics finish. And the rest will be the same as what they do for the Masters and did before. Live on BBC2 and then later will swap to BBC1