Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

Good: For those that don't have Sky, watching the top players and seeing more of Eilidh Barbour.

But here are the negatives...

Peter Alliss - he just doesn't seem to have an understanding of the modern game and it bugs me when he says "Well Done." Just comes across totally patronising

Ken on the Course - The BBC are taking what could be really good drop in segment and making it very stupid and it is poorly executed

Ken Brown's drawings - I am dumbstruck that the BBC give him a piece of paper and some crayons to draw things out - remember his drawing of the new greens at Augusta?

Ken Brown - enough said!

I am just thanking that I can record it and mute out their dull commentary
    2017 Handicap. Jan - 25.1. April - 19.8. May - 20.0. July - 19.7. “Golf is about how well you accept, respond to, and score with your misses much more than it is a game of your perfect shots.” Dr Bob Rotella “Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” Sam Snead"I know where I am and I know which way I am going. Only winning will satisfy me. You don't think it is possible? It is very possible!" Seve

This is a chance for the BBC to redeem itself. The problem it has is that we are going to compare it with the full day coverage that Sky offers. Where will the BBC put it for starters? If it is Red Button then only golf die hards will go there, nulifying the idea of spreading the gospel. No one goes on the red button to see what's on? I can't see them clearing out BBC1 or 2 for golf that is neither The Open or The Masters. It just isn't sexy enough.

Perhaps they should look to some of the radio line up. 5 live coverage of golf is excellent.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

People are assuming that because the bbc has it, that more people will automatically watch it. This might not be the case. Just because they will have the opportunity to watch it, doesn't necessarily mean they will.

It will be interesting to see a comparison with the viewing figures of the other majors sky has, or, in the interest of fairness, the US PGA from last year on Sky.
    H/cap 6.7,

Quote Originally Posted by njrose51 View Post

Ken on the Course - The BBC are taking what could be really good drop in segment and making it very stupid and it is poorly executed

Ken Brown's drawings - I am dumbstruck that the BBC give him a piece of paper and some crayons to draw things out - remember his drawing of the new greens at Augusta?

Ken Brown - enough said!
    He was on Fox Sports for the US Open so you may be in luck 😁

Money List Winner

If the BBC modernise their presentation a bit and possibly get rid of Peter Alliss then a good thing. I think for any sport exposure on a terrestrial broadcaster is still better than it being on a subscription service in terms of potential exposure. It is then up to the broadcaster and the game itself to ensure that people will want to watch it.

Money List Winner

Great news, means I can watch it on the 60 inch telly rather than my crappy old iPad via my dad's SkyGo account.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

I don't think this is a great move at all, and I can't see it being a huge success although happy as always to be proven wrong. I imagine this is a one year deal.

The BBC has a wider audience, but that won't (in my opinion) result in great participation - my friends 96 year old granny watched the BBC highlights purely to see how RM was doing; my own Mum is the same; there are people who are interested in sport but not interested in participating - these are the extra viewers that will get drawn in to the coverage over and above Sky.

Ken on the Course - enough already; Peter Alliss - nothing like appealing to an younger audience with a chap who is sorely out of touch with modern social values (sexism);

the BBC already has some sporting commitments (athletics) so this could be relegated to the red button, actually minimizing the potential of multiple feeds and feature groups / feature holes etc.

Things I'd miss - Live from the Range; the Sky Cart; Butch; Shot Centre etc., and also the level of promotion.

The one good thing might be Eilidh Barbour who I thought was excellent and easily filled Hazel's shoes.

Journeyman Pro

Those who criticise Peter Alliss....I think he's hilarious. I do miss his commentary sometimes, but can find Radar equally as funny when on the course.

Personally think the Beeb coverage is stale with Alliss and Ken on the Course the only highlights for me...the Sky coverage is so much better, but then you get what you pay for
    Wabey
    Taylormade M2 Driver | Ping G 3 Wood | Ping G 5 Wood | Mizuno JPX-900 Forged | Mizuno T7 Wedges | Edel E-3 Putter
    Thetford Golf Club, Norfolk
    @MattWabe

Quote Originally Posted by Wabinez View Post
    Those who criticise Peter Alliss....I think he's hilarious. I do miss his commentary sometimes, but can find Radar equally as funny when on the course.

Personally think the Beeb coverage is stale with Alliss and Ken on the Course the only highlights for me...the Sky coverage is so much better, but then you get what you pay for
    Yeah, have to admit I do find Peter and Ken quite amusing in a loveable old codger type way. Ken's enthusiasm for mundane things like a ball rolling into a bunker. Peter correcting himself like yesterday on a Cabrera Bello tee shot on the par 3: "near impossible to get it close here" *Cabrera Bello sticks it about 4 feet away* "Who said that? What a silly thing to say!"
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9