Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

They also gather your information so that they can target the adverts. They sell that information. In our cases let's say we view golf on YouTube then expect to receive targeted emails that are golf related. Look at a review by Crossfield on Adidas golf shoes and expect to see adverts popping up by companies selling those shoes.

Amazon and Facebook currently do this very effectively.

Live in the UK, don't pay for sky or BT so i'm used to streaming but even I'm finding it hard to find a decent stream of this major, hardly seen any of it Thanks for posting the link to BBC coverage.

Absolutely shockingly hard to watch this tournament.
    In the bag: Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Hybrid: Nike vapor speed 3, 4i: Mizuno tp-9, 5-PW: Nike Vapour Fly, Wedges: 48 Cleveland 588 rtx Putter: Nike ic 10 moi Ball: Lake balls. Club:Durham University Golf Club at Brancepeth Castle Golf Course.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by shivas irons View Post
    I thought yesterday evenings coverage in HD was ok,enjoyed Ken Browns comms but Alliss,James & Madill were hopeless.
    controversial as it is I think Ken Brown is one of my favourite pundits to listen to . Always find him insightful and interesting
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    controversial as it is I think Ken Brown is one of my favourite pundits to listen to . Always find him insightful and interesting
    Not controversial at all. I've said more than once that with/when Sky had golf dominance, Brown would be an ideal addition, particularly in the commentary box, or even on course alongside Radar etc

I think a lot of the controversy on this thread is spilling over from the R&A decision to give Sky the sole rights to live coverage of the Open. Personally I don't see why some compromise couldn't have been reached whereas Sky have full rights to everything as long as the BBC can show the final 3 hours on Saturday & Sunday. Those who love the Sky system can indulge & the rest of us can watch uncluttered without advertisements. Surely that is a blueprint for growing the game where everyone wins? The problem with the many who don't follow Golf week in week out, is that they lose touch & don't know who the up & coming players are, & when they cant identify with favourites, that quickly leads to loss of interest.

I think Golf transcends many sports. Football, Rugby, Tennis, Athletics, Cricket, NFL, Rowing, many participants & followers of these play & enjoy Golf.

Both channels have commentators that we find irritating on occasions. But Sky do cover the worldwide tours very well for those of us hardcore followers. I personally really enjoy watching early season tournaments in Abu Dhabi, etc, when the weather is so awful here, then the West Coast swing, & the build up to the Masters. If you keep the Majors on free to air TV, it gets & keeps followers of other sports & the general public interested. Going to Sky 100% although fantastic coverage, just limits the appeal to Golf enthusiasts & cant really help to sustain interest & grow the game & its ethos.

I wouldn't ever have taken up the game in my youth had Sky been around. I wish it had been, it would have saved me from 45 years of suffering! Not really, its still a great game. Come on folk, enjoy & try to be positive.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Whydowedoit View Post
    I think a lot of the controversy on this thread is spilling over from the R&A decision to give Sky the sole rights to live coverage of the Open. Personally I don't see why some compromise couldn't have been reached whereas Sky have full rights to everything as long as the BBC can show the final 3 hours on Saturday & Sunday. Those who love the Sky system can indulge & the rest of us can watch uncluttered without advertisements. Surely that is a blueprint for growing the game where everyone wins? The problem with the many who don't follow Golf week in week out, is that they lose touch & don't know who the up & coming players are, & when they cant identify with favourites, that quickly leads to loss of interest.

I think Golf transcends many sports. Football, Rugby, Tennis, Athletics, Cricket, NFL, Rowing, many participants & followers of these play & enjoy Golf.

Both channels have commentators that we find irritating on occasions. But Sky do cover the worldwide tours very well for those of us hardcore followers. I personally really enjoy watching early season tournaments in Abu Dhabi, etc, when the weather is so awful here, then the West Coast swing, & the build up to the Masters. If you keep the Majors on free to air TV, it gets & keeps followers of other sports & the general public interested. Going to Sky 100% although fantastic coverage, just limits the appeal to Golf enthusiasts & cant really help to sustain interest & grow the game & its ethos.

I wouldn't ever have taken up the game in my youth had Sky been around. I wish it had been, it would have saved me from 45 years of suffering! Not really, its still a great game. Come on folk, enjoy & try to be positive.
    well said

would be nice to see if all the majors could be on the BBC for the final 2 days.. would be perfect sky can show the rest for those who really want to see in depth

Whilst I have watched all 4 days the last 2 are always the most interesting specially moving day
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Not sure this forum is ready for too many reasoned arguments. Your last paragraph resonates as I'm sure my parents wouldn't have had Sky as a kid as money was always tight as it was and so I wouldn't have got to see Seve, Faldo, etc in their pomp.

I don't think joint coverage works unless the two get a joint bid in and I can't see both BBC and Sky working together to do this and agree a price. Coverage itself is always subjective and there are panel members and commentators on most sports I watch that grate. I try (not always easy) to let the coverage do the talking and let the words wash over me.

So youd have sky pay hundreds of millions for the coverage, support lots of minor tours that make far less commercial sense and then are expected to allow the crown jewels to be shown on free to air tv? Would be business suicide!
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    So youd have sky pay hundreds of millions for the coverage, support lots of minor tours that make far less commercial sense and then are expected to allow the crown jewels to be shown on free to air tv? Would be business suicide!
    Is it not how the Masters is covered ?

Sky have all four days and BBC have the last two days - why can't that be the same for all the majors ?

They don't have one overall deal for golf - there are separate deals . What would be different than three years ago when BBC had the Open , Scottish and Ladies Open plus BMW - was there issues before because Sky didn't have a full monopoly on every single golf event?

With the Masters extending the BBC deal and possibly also looking to look for other broadcasters alongside the BBC coverage and the recent US PGA leaving Sky is it not possible that the bodies don't see Sky having a monopoly as a good thing ?

Setting aside the Beeb v Sky debate I have not bothered tuning in this evening. It's nothing to do with the Beeb's coverage, which, by the way, I have found completely acceptable. Simply I have found the tournament duller than ditch water and I couldn't really give a monkey's chuff who wins.

i know it has history but quite why it does I can't fathom. Give me the TPC at Sawgrass any day over this boring, turgid, snail's pace non-event.

I'll probably tune in about ten to see who wins but couldn't really care.
    I used to have a signature until it became unfashionable.