Page 76 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    For those with a Virgin box, channel 991 is BBC RB No waiting for the little ring of something as it tries to find it via the red bullont.
    Top tip... Many thanks...

I've only had the boxes a year and didn't know I could do this...
    Perhaps I ought do a non-bloke thing...
    And, read the instructions...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    How far away are we from coverage being on via YouTube only? How would commentary work then? Would it be host provider only?

As people have mentioned that is how under 25's view content now and that appeals to advertisers.

I'm slightly surprised that the likes of Finch and Crossfield have not been tried by a broadcaster in order to bring through some of the new generation.
    Doubt coverage will ever just go one one medium in the future, but fully expect YouTube to be used as one channel to access it very soon.

Crossfield was involved in that 30 minute golf program on Sky that didn't go down that well on here. I think recently he has been having a go at Sky a bit so suspect too many bridges burnt there. I think his medium is YouTube doing his vlogs and reviews which I think he does very well (but appreciate other opinions exist), and if you try and change that to fit into the constraints of golf coverage on TV it just will not work. As he has opinions, some of which are not overly complementary to golf/golfers, which, rightly or wrongly, are not overly encouraged on TV coverage.
    Last edited by Hacker Khan; 13-Aug-2017 at 11:54.

Club Champion

What time does the shambles start on the red button today?

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Last nights coverage that I watched on Sky 980 was a vast improvement. The coverage had a much better flow to it compared to Thursday and Friday's disjointed efforts and the lack of adverts was a bonus. I don't think the Rose on the range interview warranted a second showing though. Looking forward to tonight's coverage now.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

If YouTube is going to play a big part of golf / sport coverage in the future, where is the revenue going to come from? From what I have seen, you sometimes have to watch an advert at the start and then it seems advert free, but I don't recall ever watching anything on YouTube for more than an hour.
    Are those who watch on YouTube content with the quality / small screen or can you connect it up to your big screen?
    Kodi looks OK to me but it doesn't seem guaranteed that the feed will work. I got it mainly for the Golf Channel but it was so hit and miss I never turn it on now. It also goes blank when they have adverts in the US (and they have a lot). To be honest I would rather see the ads than listen to the same music every time.
    No signature any more as they are now frowned upon. But I do play with these...Ping G30 10.5 TFC 419D reg TM M1 3 wood HL regTM RBZ 4 hybridPing G30 5 - U wedgeCleveland CG16 52 & 58 Black Pearl Tour ZipEvnroll ER5 Hatchback 33"Skycaddie LinxStewart X7 Lithium Remote Dream Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    If YouTube is going to play a big part of golf / sport coverage in the future, where is the revenue going to come from? From what I have seen, you sometimes have to watch an advert at the start and then it seems advert free, but I don't recall ever watching anything on YouTube for more than an hour.
    Are those who watch on YouTube content with the quality / small screen or can you connect it up to your big screen?
    Kodi looks OK to me but it doesn't seem guaranteed that the feed will work. I got it mainly for the Golf Channel but it was so hit and miss I never turn it on now. It also goes blank when they have adverts in the US (and they have a lot). To be honest I would rather see the ads than listen to the same music every time.
    last 2 cl finals have been free on YouTube. quality has been excellent using the app on my Freesat box.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    last 2 cl finals have been free on YouTube. quality has been excellent using the app on my Freesat box.
    I think I have it on my smart tv (I need to check).
    How do the broadcasters make money though?
    No signature any more as they are now frowned upon. But I do play with these...Ping G30 10.5 TFC 419D reg TM M1 3 wood HL regTM RBZ 4 hybridPing G30 5 - U wedgeCleveland CG16 52 & 58 Black Pearl Tour ZipEvnroll ER5 Hatchback 33"Skycaddie LinxStewart X7 Lithium Remote Dream Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    I think I have it on my smart tv (I need to check).
    How do the broadcasters make money though?
    Adverts - most You Tube videos or streaming from official broadcasters start with a 2 or 5 min video that must be watched - companies pay millions for that.

Money List Winner

Most TVs nowadays allow you to access YouTube and other social media channels by the click of a button.

Soon, if not already, a TV will be seen as a way to access all these as opposed to just a way to see scheduled programs made by TV companies.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Adverts - most You Tube videos or streaming from official broadcasters start with a 2 or 5 min video that must be watched - companies pay millions for that.
    Plus it would not be difficult for You Tube to stick adverts in during the broadcast if they wanted to. They could even run the adverts on half the screen whilst showing the live action on the other half.