Page 47 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Don't talk sense, everyone knows uncle Rupert would never have allowed this to happen. And having an impartial coach who happens to coach half the field staring weirdly at the camera or various past captains of Ryder cup teams who never ever say anything in the slightest bit critical about any European player would have lead to much better insight and analysis...
    You really are trolling hard now

BBC put on a shambles and you have to start going on the attack about Sky?
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ParParTripleBogey View Post
    Instead, I was taken back to a time when I watched golf with my gran on a wee TV in her kitchen. Good times I admit, but it shouldn't be like this.
    With the same fuzzy picture too!!

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Fingers crossed the BBC up their game but it seems unlikely with golf being so far down their priorities in recent years.
    Yeah well so much for that. Golden opportunity wasted, BBC.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post
    It's not about SKY vs BEEB, or how good the presenters are for me it's more about the fact that the BEEB have nabbed one of the seasons majors to broadcast, and then done a pretty poor job of scheduling it in and showing in a watchable format. I'm not talking about who shows what feed, or which players or whether it is live, I mean SD on TV. Regardless of how short a time you have to get ready, surely if you are planning to broadcast a major tournament (regardless of sport), you prep to show it in full HD glory on a regular channel at the time it's playing, not tucked away on a red button in low quality, or on an internet feed. It's not like the BEEB haven't pushed programmes aside before when needed.
    Covered 765 posts ago, they were already contracted to show the athletics on the main channels, as like it or not, it is more popular with the BBC audience.

Money List Winner

Interesting thoughts on the US coverage that it looks like the BBC were having to take.

http://golfweek.com/2017/08/10/tv-bl...hen-it-doesnt/

I think that some people are seriously overestimating the lure of televised golf to the majority of the TV viewing public.....

Also, would I be right in thinking that the reason that the BBC got the coverage was that discussions between The PGA and Sky had collapsed over money and viewing options?
    TM M2 - Rogue Black stiff shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM RBZ 18* Hybrid
    Srixon z u45 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Fang Tank

I'm not sure what people expected

3 weeks ago it was first mentioned that Sky wouldn't be showing the US PGA - they lost the contract , it wasn't going to be renewed - just as the time they launched a dedicated golf channel

So with Sky having all live golf broadcasting in the U.K. That meant we were left with the possibility that we would have NO live coverage on the telly - none zip zilch

So for us to be able to watch the US PGA which will all want that means someone else would have to broadcast it - where does that leave it - BT Sport ? That means paying further subscription , ITV or CH4 don't broadcast golf so it's left to the BBC who can broadcast golf

The BBC though don't have a dedicated sports channel , they don't have untold millions to spend on one sport , they have 28 million viewers to consider , they were already contracted to broadcast the World Athletics on their HD channel which left the other HD channel to be used for the other range of programs they normally broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2

So they have said they can broadcast it on the Red Button channel , the website and iplayer all using the host broadcaster pictures all last minute - that was stated from the start the level of broadcasting they would do - do people expect them to drop everything for the golf ? Their regular commentators were no doubt contracted to do other work - even Ken was working for the golf channel so it's all last minute put together so that we could at least get to watch it without having to use illegal stream or having to pay further subscriptions

Yes it wasn't on a HD picture on the Red Button - I had no problems viewing it on my telly , there was also the iplayer which was in HD which I expect most people with HD tellys can get or have ways to get

The commentary team will always split opinions - don't think there will ever be a right answer on which is better

The BBC were never going to be able to through everything at it - they have prob done the best they can with the time and resources available to them without overspending a budget which is already under scrutiny- but it's a damn sight better than not being able to watch it all

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I slept through most of Thursdays BBC coverage the same way I'd sleep though any Thursday night golf on Sky. I'll see if I can stay awake for Sunday night

Quote Originally Posted by TheDiablo View Post
    It's quite amazing how many people don't know this! The 'host broadcaster' film nearly everything and deliver it to the local broadcaster, who then have 2 options

1 - show the main overall feed only and cut away to local studio / ad break as required.

2 - appoint local director and producer teams to filter the content to the local audience.

The first is what the BBC are doing. Sky also do this on some run of the mill PGA events - you can tell as they also take the US commentary on these and cut back to the studio a lot.

The second is what Sky do for every significant PGA event. Players, FedEx, Memorial etc. They also do this for all majors. This means they are able to tailor it to a UK audience who prefer more golf than just putting but also far more European players than would get airtime on the US channel. Do people really not question why we see so much Poulter, Casey etc compared to JB Holmes or Daniel Berger for example.

Unfortunately the beeb have been incredibly lazy and assumed the cheapest option would suffice which is a shame as US coverage is notoriously poor. Coupled with the SD footage it's disappointing, but at least we can still watch it.
    Exactly right. The beeb had their chance but didn't invest. Sounds familiar where golf is concerned.
    H/cap 6.7,

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I'm not sure what people expected

3 weeks ago it was first mentioned that Sky wouldn't be showing the US PGA - they lost the contract , it wasn't going to be renewed - just as the time they launched a dedicated golf channel

So with Sky having all live golf broadcasting in the U.K. That meant we were left with the possibility that we would have NO live coverage on the telly - none zip zilch

So for us to be able to watch the US PGA which will all want that means someone else would have to broadcast it - where does that leave it - BT Sport ? That means paying further subscription , ITV or CH4 don't broadcast golf so it's left to the BBC who can broadcast golf

The BBC though don't have a dedicated sports channel , they don't have untold millions to spend on one sport , they have 28 million viewers to consider , they were already contracted to broadcast the World Athletics on their HD channel which left the other HD channel to be used for the other range of programs they normally broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2

So they have said they can broadcast it on the Red Button channel , the website and iplayer all using the host broadcaster pictures all last minute - that was stated from the start the level of broadcasting they would do - do people expect them to drop everything for the golf ? Their regular commentators were no doubt contracted to do other work - even Ken was working for the golf channel so it's all last minute put together so that we could at least get to watch it without having to use illegal stream or having to pay further subscriptions

Yes it wasn't on a HD picture on the Red Button - I had no problems viewing it on my telly , there was also the iplayer which was in HD which I expect most people with HD tellys can get or have ways to get

The commentary team will always split opinions - don't think there will ever be a right answer on which is better

The BBC were never going to be able to through everything at it - they have prob done the best they can with the time and resources available to them without overspending a budget which is already under scrutiny- but it's a damn sight better than not being able to watch it all
    100% agree

Why do people overly care about the pundits for crying out loud you can see what's going on I mute it half the time on Sky or BBC or the footy and just watch

Better to be able to see than to miss