Page 24 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Re: USPGA Championship on BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Over 7 mil watched the Athletics last Friday - even when the golf was on the BBC it struggled to reach those levels , so it is clearly popular and prob more popular than golf.

And do you really expect or think that BBC should break the contract they already had in place for the Athletics on how it was broadcasted to show a golf event based in the US ?

Over the weekend you have Farah running for gold again , the 200m finals for both ladies and men plus relays with it all coming to a climax on Sunday - BBC aren't going to dump those across to the red button and rightly so
    Pretty sure I didn't say BBC should dump anything in favour of the golf or dump any contracts (although the BBC are doing a good job on this front, as reported from the media: "...the PGA of America was seduced by the reach of the BBC as a free-to-air terrestrial *provider, as well as by its website and social media capabilities" - I said they could do a better job of promoting it to ensure all interested parties are aware that it's happening, and that it's happening across the multi platform service the BBC has. A 30 second promo here and there wouldn't go amiss. Hard to "reach" people if they don't know where to find it.

As I said before, for me, this is not a BBC vs Sky thing; or even an Athletics vs Golf thing. Having got it, even late in the day, the BBC should be doing their absolute best to maximise it's coverage and potential without compromising other contracts. BBC have 1, 2, 3 and 4 channels available; plus the iplayer and the web service; plus the red button. Yes they have the athletics, but does that stop them making a song and dance about the golf and letting casual observers know where to find it.

You're a golf fan (I think!) - do you think this is the best the BBC can do with what they have? They did after all seduce the PGA of America with their reach...

Tour Rookie

I agree with whoever said it's not the BBC vs SKY and i also agree that the BBC have been appalling at advertising it and should have done more.
    I do however think that the athletics is far more popular than the golf and if i was in charge of the BBC i would absolutely show the athletics over the golf. Every single time hands down not a thought to it. Yes i would prefer the golf but it's not about me or people on this forum.
    I'd fire myself for not promoting it and making everyone aware the golf was on the red button and I'd try to move the schedule to get some live prime time action.
    The bbc are crap at sports (Wimbledon and Olympics aside) and it would have been far better to have SKY show it. But hey ho it's not to be and at least it's accesible if you can be bothered now. Although if it's in fuzzy vision I'd argue whether it was worth showing at all...

Tour Winner

can you get bbc red button online?

Well, with 7million watching the athletics last Friday night, the local athletics clubs better be prepared for a vast uptake in the sport ........ just like the Legacy of London 2012 and Glasgow 2014 ....... oh yes those worked well .... even with all the extra £millions of government money being put into the importance of the Legacy

let's face it we are a nation of couch potatos no sport no matter what it is will gain significant numbers from TV exposure nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by rksquire View Post
    Pretty sure I didn't say BBC should dump anything in favour of the golf or dump any contracts (although the BBC are doing a good job on this front, as reported from the media: "...the PGA of America was seduced by the reach of the BBC as a free-to-air terrestrial *provider, as well as by its website and social media capabilities" - I said they could do a better job of promoting it to ensure all interested parties are aware that it's happening, and that it's happening across the multi platform service the BBC has. A 30 second promo here and there wouldn't go amiss. Hard to "reach" people if they don't know where to find it.

As I said before, for me, this is not a BBC vs Sky thing; or even an Athletics vs Golf thing. Having got it, even late in the day, the BBC should be doing their absolute best to maximise it's coverage and potential without compromising other contracts. BBC have 1, 2, 3 and 4 channels available; plus the iplayer and the web service; plus the red button. Yes they have the athletics, but does that stop them making a song and dance about the golf and letting casual observers know where to find it.

You're a golf fan (I think!) - do you think this is the best the BBC can do with what they have? They did after all seduce the PGA of America with their reach...
    Athletics has BBC1 at the moment , your normal BBC1 schedule in now on BBc2 along with some BBC2 programs - BBc3 is now online only and is full of programs aimed towards the younger generation- BBC4 have the more factual programmes - because they already have one channel blocked out by sport they aren't going to block a second out - they need to cater for everyone not just sport fans - so it's taken over their red button all night long as well as live on iplayer and website

I have seen three adverts so far for the golf during the Athletics, it's on the BBC website , it's advertised daily on their 5live radio show - I know exactly when it's on.

The BBC don't flood the channels with promos and adverts - there isn't time and that's the great thing about the BBC.

I'm just looking forward to Thursday sitting down watching it without adverts or the awful Sky team over blowing the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Athletics has BBC1 at the moment , your normal BBC1 schedule in now on BBc2 along with some BBC2 programs - BBc3 is now online only and is full of programs aimed towards the younger generation- BBC4 have the more factual programmes - because they already have one channel blocked out by sport they aren't going to block a second out - they need to cater for everyone not just sport fans - so it's taken over their red button all night long as well as live on iplayer and website

I have seen three adverts so far for the golf during the Athletics, it's on the BBC website , it's advertised daily on their 5live radio show - I know exactly when it's on.

The BBC don't flood the channels with promos and adverts - there isn't time and that's the great thing about the BBC.

I'm just looking forward to Thursday sitting down watching it without adverts or the awful Sky team over blowing the whole thing
    So they didn't flood the channel promoting the Bolt 100m????? Selective viewing

I'm really glad this is on BBC. BBC is much better than Sky - I would gladly trade no adverts for a slightly worse red button picture.

I just wish The Open was still on BBC

Most of the ads on sky are shown during ad breaks in the host broadcasters coverage. You just get more blank views of the leader board instead on the BBC.

Oh, and Peter Aliss. I wonder when his grand daughters birthday is?

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Most of the ads on sky are shown during ad breaks in the host broadcasters coverage. You just get more blank views of the leader board instead on the BBC.

Oh, and Peter Aliss. I wonder when his grand daughters birthday is?
    Add Cotter to that. Very average commentator. At least the Sky panel with the exception of Livingstone anchoring the show have all been involved in golf at the highest level and with modern players. The BBC team is so out of touch and Alliss needs to be pensioned off now

Q-School Graduate

I think for sure that having more viewers can only but help to promote the sport with more take up or at least more people playing as green fees when the majors are on non sky telly (same can be said of tennis when Wimbledon on and more people playing on the courts).

I am an example of one of those people(about 25 years ago now), that saw a sunningdale tournament iirc on the BBC and thought, that looks a nice walk, fancy a go of that game.

As a result I took up the sport, joined as member, hold golf days for clients(some of whom play the course before hand and probably a third of them only play on my days. And due to seeing golf on telly, my wife and now son playing the game and bringing money into the game at local club level.

Technology is moving forward, therefore for the good of the game then we need as wide as possible spread from normal telly to sky to internet based. We need grass roots to grow to keep our clubs open.

The bbc should do it fairly cheap as its our money(say with cheaper tech, only being allowed to show the lower pairings and its a minority sport, so masses of money should not be thrown at it), sky can put money into it with fancy tech and internet based can do what they like.

I do not see it as a choice between which one should it be on, I think it should be on all of them what should vary should be the kind of coverage and the extra technology/fancy stuff.
    Last edited by DarrenWilliams; 09-Aug-2017 at 15:14.