Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honours Boards

Question Honours Boards

My club wants to improve/expand the honours boards in the clubhouse - and the committee has asked me to look into it. We'll be adding some new ones, updating the ones we have, and possibly getting rid of some too. Does anybody have any experience of this? I'm particularly curious about how to make sure that future updates all look consistent. Is it necessary to use the same sign-writer every year or do they all use a basket of standard fonts so, when one retires/dies/leaves, you can still carry on without it looking odd.

What do you think about the idea of removing a board for a trophy that has been retired and will no longer be contested? Does your club have boards for defunct competitions on display or do they take them down?

Have you seen any clubs using anything other than the traditional wooden boards?

Any ideas, thoughts, comments or recommendations on honours boards will be very welcome.

Regards,
    Shep

Re: Honours Boards

Am a big fan of the more modern glass boards, think they look a lot better than the dark wood ones that seem to be in the majority of clubhouses
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

I am a big fan of no boards at all. They are just fire wood clogging the place up, making it look old fashioned. Ok for Royal St Georges, where there is one for Open champions, but naff as for a club started yesterday.

Just an opinion.

Oh, and glass looks better than wood. Less flammable.

Medal Winner

Hoylake have one board in the clubhouse which only lists the opens, walker cup etc. nothing for the actual members.

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    I am a big fan of no boards at all. They are just fire wood clogging the place up, making it look old fashioned. Ok for Royal St Georges, where there is one for Open champions, but naff as for a club started yesterday.

Just an opinion.

Oh, and glass looks better than wood. Less flammable.

Get a decent sign writer involved to do the new work and ensure a repeatable style (font etc)

- as for them being ok in old clubs and not in new. About 10 years ago I remember a conversation at my previous club about the absence of an honours board for the Summer Foursomes. As it happens my partner and I won the thing that year. The (proprietary) Club Manger said, if we both paid £250 each they'd put an honours board for that competition. Nice try ,no thanks.
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Head Pro

The new Board Of Directors at our club made the decision following a club house total refurbishment and modernisation to get rid of all the old oak, gold leaf embossed honours boards and they were replaced with see through plastic ones with black writing. The ones in the main lounge were limited to past captains and County Honours. (they also got rid of the large number of photos of past Captains)

It upset quite a few players whose names had been on the wooden boards and the seniors who had paid for quite a few of the honours boards in the first place.

costs our club over a grand a year to have the boards updated in gold lettering, and we dont have that many boards compared to some, always struck me as ludicrously expensive for what it was, especially as the quality (especially alignment) is poor
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

We changed ours from gold letter and wooden boards to a more stylish perspex and black lettering. It looks far more modern

Only board that counts is the Club Championship board all the others don't matter one bit. full stop
    TM Aero Burner Driver Fujikura Pro Xlr8 63 Tour xTM M1 3 wood another Fujikura shaftSrixon Z765 3-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 130 shaftsTM Spider Red Ltd Edition Putter Cleveland RTX-3 wedges 50 54 58 Tour Satin

Quote Originally Posted by HankMarvin View Post
    Only board that counts is the Club Championship board all the others don't matter one bit. full stop
    You dont have an open then?

I would add in the summer pairs knock out and the open to this, and the summer singles knock out. Possibly the 36 hole spring meeting. Thats plenty.