Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Before you follow the advice above, you should remember not to pick up your ball until you have determined just what all the possible outcomes you may have by dropping the ball elsewhere.
    If you decide the potential outcomes are worse than just chipping the ball from the path and you wish you had chosen to do that, it will cost you a penalty stroke to put it back again.

  2. #22
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding the nature of the nearest point of relief. It does not matter whether you can physically take a stance or make a stroke because of something else like a tree or a bush (see the answer to the Decision rulefan reference above). Imagine there is nothing else on the course other than the obstruction or abnormal condition you are taking relief from - no tree, no bush, no rock, no immovable obstruction, no slope so steep you couldn't hope to stand on it etc. The NPR is literally the nearest point on that empty landscape at which there would be complete relief and you must drop within a club length of it. Blink twice and restore all the reality of trees, bushes, park benches etc. etc. It makes no difference if there is something that makes the NPR is unreachable or, for that matter, that there is nowhere within a club length you can drop or play from.

    In your situation, the hedge and whether you could play a shot from it are irrelevant to establishing your NPR. You imagine the shot you would have played had there been no path and, using the same club and stance, establish the point where that shot would be free from interference by the path.
    OK - in which case I got it wrong as my NPR in my situation is then NOT immediately adjacent to the track with my back jammed into the out of bounds hedge) - but has my NPR at a distance which places my ball half way (let's say) in my stance - with me standing fully off the track as if I was going to chip over the track and over the greenside bunker.

    Now I could have taken that stance but I would have had no backswing due to the proximity of the boundary hedge - but I assume that that is just tough.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 23-Jul-2017 at 14:13.
    to infinity and beyond...

    ...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

  3. #23
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    242

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    OK - in which case I got it wrong as my NPR in my situation is then NOT immediately adjacent to the track with my back jammed into the out of bounds hedge) - but has my NPR at a distance which places my ball half way (let's say) in my stance - with me standing fully off the track as if I was going to chip over the track and over the greenside bunker.

    Now I could have taken that stance but I would have had no backswing due to the proximity of the boundary hedge - but I assume that that is just tough.
    As posted above, the nearest point of relief is for the stroke you would play if the track was not there. The nearest point of relief must provide complete relief from the track for the lie of the ball, area of intended stance and swing. The Rules guarantee that free relief; they do not guarantee that you can make a stroke from that place.

  4. #24
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    As posted above, the nearest point of relief is for the stroke you would play if the track was not there. The nearest point of relief must provide complete relief from the track for the lie of the ball, area of intended stance and swing. The Rules guarantee that free relief; they do not guarantee that you can make a stroke from that place.
    I am abs clear now. Many thanks for that. Many players will end up on that track - I wonder how many play the NPR rule properly. As it happened as I never took relief I didn't get it wrong
    to infinity and beyond...

    ...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

  5. #25
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Many players will end up on that track - I wonder how many play the NPR rule properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    My ball was a couple of feet from the LHS of the track and maybe 4 ft from the RHS of it. So my NPR will be the LHS. Problem is that left of the track there is an overgrown bank about three or four foot deep running to the out of bounds hedge. Very Long grass and weeds cover the bank.
    It might be worth suggesting that the committee mark the area to the left of the path as OOB. Saves any arguments and will probably improve pace of play.

  6. #26
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,667

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    It might be worth suggesting that the committee mark the area to the left of the path as OOB. Saves any arguments and will probably improve pace of play.
    By coincidence, I've just done that very thing - marked off a border between a gravelled area and the boundary fence as OOB so that no-one's NPR can be in it. It's a jungle full of large chunks of sawn off tree trunks. Impossible to play from.

  7. #27
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    By coincidence, I've just done that very thing - marked off a border between a gravelled area and the boundary fence as OOB so that no-one's NPR can be in it. It's a jungle full of large chunks of sawn off tree trunks. Impossible to play from.
    We should do that. I'd leave the track in bounds but as the bank between the track and the OOB hedge is only 3 ft at its widest - and it is covered in deep, jaggy and stingy stuff - it might as well be out of bounds.
    to infinity and beyond...

    ...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

RBC Canadian Open Golf Betting Tips

The PGA Tour are in Canada this week just before the USPGA Championship, check out who we think are going to do well with our RBC Canadian Open Golf Betting Tips

July 26, 2017

Porsche European Open Golf Betting Tips

The European Tour’s first event since a dramatic Open Championship is the Porsche European Open Golf Betting Tips

July 26, 2017

Matt Kuchar looks to push on at Canadian Open

The PGA Tour travels west across the Atlantic to Ontario this week for the RBC Canadian Open. Venezuela’s Jhonattan Vegas defends the title at Glen Abbey GC and Matt Kuchar will look to bounce back strongly after narrowly missing out in The Open Championship at Birkdale.

July 25, 2017

Alexander Levy defends Porsche European Open

After the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale last week, the European Tour travels to Germany for the Porsche European Open. Alexander Levy will be the defending champion at the Green Eagle golf course in Hamburg.

July 25, 2017

The Open 2017: Should the driving range have been out of bounds?

It has had golf fans everywhere talking... Should the driving range have been out of bounds? We look at the crucial rules-related moment in the final round of the Open 2017

July 24, 2017