Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tour Winner

Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

Before you follow the advice above, you should remember not to pick up your ball until you have determined just what all the possible outcomes you may have by dropping the ball elsewhere.
    If you decide the potential outcomes are worse than just chipping the ball from the path and you wish you had chosen to do that, it will cost you a penalty stroke to put it back again.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding the nature of the nearest point of relief. It does not matter whether you can physically take a stance or make a stroke because of something else like a tree or a bush (see the answer to the Decision rulefan reference above). Imagine there is nothing else on the course other than the obstruction or abnormal condition you are taking relief from - no tree, no bush, no rock, no immovable obstruction, no slope so steep you couldn't hope to stand on it etc. The NPR is literally the nearest point on that empty landscape at which there would be complete relief and you must drop within a club length of it. Blink twice and restore all the reality of trees, bushes, park benches etc. etc. It makes no difference if there is something that makes the NPR is unreachable or, for that matter, that there is nowhere within a club length you can drop or play from.

In your situation, the hedge and whether you could play a shot from it are irrelevant to establishing your NPR. You imagine the shot you would have played had there been no path and, using the same club and stance, establish the point where that shot would be free from interference by the path.
    OK - in which case I got it wrong as my NPR in my situation is then NOT immediately adjacent to the track with my back jammed into the out of bounds hedge) - but has my NPR at a distance which places my ball half way (let's say) in my stance - with me standing fully off the track as if I was going to chip over the track and over the greenside bunker.

Now I could have taken that stance but I would have had no backswing due to the proximity of the boundary hedge - but I assume that that is just tough.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 23-Jul-2017 at 14:13.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    OK - in which case I got it wrong as my NPR in my situation is then NOT immediately adjacent to the track with my back jammed into the out of bounds hedge) - but has my NPR at a distance which places my ball half way (let's say) in my stance - with me standing fully off the track as if I was going to chip over the track and over the greenside bunker.

Now I could have taken that stance but I would have had no backswing due to the proximity of the boundary hedge - but I assume that that is just tough.
    As posted above, the nearest point of relief is for the stroke you would play if the track was not there. The nearest point of relief must provide complete relief from the track for the lie of the ball, area of intended stance and swing. The Rules guarantee that free relief; they do not guarantee that you can make a stroke from that place.

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    As posted above, the nearest point of relief is for the stroke you would play if the track was not there. The nearest point of relief must provide complete relief from the track for the lie of the ball, area of intended stance and swing. The Rules guarantee that free relief; they do not guarantee that you can make a stroke from that place.
    I am abs clear now. Many thanks for that. Many players will end up on that track - I wonder how many play the NPR rule properly. As it happened as I never took relief I didn't get it wrong

Tour Winner

Many players will end up on that track - I wonder how many play the NPR rule properly.
    My ball was a couple of feet from the LHS of the track and maybe 4 ft from the RHS of it. So my NPR will be the LHS. Problem is that left of the track there is an overgrown bank about three or four foot deep running to the out of bounds hedge. Very Long grass and weeds cover the bank.
    It might be worth suggesting that the committee mark the area to the left of the path as OOB. Saves any arguments and will probably improve pace of play.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    It might be worth suggesting that the committee mark the area to the left of the path as OOB. Saves any arguments and will probably improve pace of play.
    By coincidence, I've just done that very thing - marked off a border between a gravelled area and the boundary fence as OOB so that no-one's NPR can be in it. It's a jungle full of large chunks of sawn off tree trunks. Impossible to play from.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    By coincidence, I've just done that very thing - marked off a border between a gravelled area and the boundary fence as OOB so that no-one's NPR can be in it. It's a jungle full of large chunks of sawn off tree trunks. Impossible to play from.
    We should do that. I'd leave the track in bounds but as the bank between the track and the OOB hedge is only 3 ft at its widest - and it is covered in deep, jaggy and stingy stuff - it might as well be out of bounds.