Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Head Pro

Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

I've read and read and read. Asked different people (good knowledgeable people) and I'm still not sure people seem to have different ideas and I find the way it's written a bit confusing.

(a) Do you take your stance both side of the path, mark nearest point where the ball would be dropped and then calculate which is nearest to where the ball lay on the path?

(b) Or do you find the nearest point on the course to where the ball lies, mark it, and then take your stance and take your drop?
    Even if it means the ball will eventually be played from a farther point?

Thanks!
    Vardon: "Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."

Tour Winner

Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

1) Don't lift your ball yet. *
    2) Take a stance on one side of the path where your feet are clear of the path. Place a marker, not nearer the hole (off the path), where it would be if you addressed it with the club you would have used from the path if it wasn't there. Check that the path does not interfere with your intended swing. Mark where the ball lies.
    3) Repeat on the other side of the path.
    4) Determine which mark is nearer your original ball. That is the NPR.

Check the area within 1cl of the mark, that is not nearer the hole on still gives you relief, to see if you will have a better lie than playing from the path.
    If it is OK, then drop your ball.

* If you had lifted your ball and didn't like the prospective drop area, it would cost you another stroke to replace it on the path.

Once you have got familiar with the process, more often than not it will be obvious which is the correct side. So you won't need to go through the double procedure.
    Last edited by rulefan; 17-Jul-2017 at 10:41.

Tour Winner

See diagram which illustrates what rulefan says . NPoR is whichever of the distance 1 and distance 2 is the shortest

NPR on path.jpg
    Handicap Challenge - 18.7 (10 Oct)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Head Pro

Cheers Gents.
    This is exactly how I understood it!
    Is that an R&A sketch - the one they use on Rules of golf is less obvious?

Thankfully that's how I called it during the match and it made a really big difference!
    I lost the hole as a result, but had we done it the other way, I would've won it as my oppo would have had no shot at all (not sad still won 4&3!).

Amazing how people will try persuade you that you are wrong...

Head Pro

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by GreggerKBR View Post
    Cheers Gents.
    This is exactly how I understood it!
    Is that an R&A sketch - the one they use on Rules of golf is less obvious?

Thankfully that's how I called it during the match and it made a really big difference!
    I lost the hole as a result, but had we done it the other way, I would've won it as my oppo would have had no shot at all (not sad still won 4&3!).

Amazing how people will try persuade you that you are wrong...
    No, it's my sketch rather than a R&A one.

To clarify - the red dots show the position of the ball at possible NPoR. Once you have determined which is the actual nearest, you then get the club length within which to drop (which is the quadrant the R&A illustrate on their drawing).

And as the sketch shows reasonably clearly, on the relatively narrow paths on golf courses, due to the "depth" of your stance, it is frequently more likely that the NPoR will be behind you rather than in front.
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Head Pro

Of course, these drawings only show the NPR for right-handed players. They are different for left-handed players.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    Of course, these drawings only show the NPR for right-handed players. They are different for left-handed players.
    Hmmm ....

I agree as regards the R&A drawing - but l think you'll find mine is ambidextrous - as l don't show direction of play, nor the area within which the ball needs to be dropped .

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Hmmm ....

I agree as regards the R&A drawing - but l think you'll find mine is ambidextrous - as l don't show direction of play, nor the area within which the ball needs to be dropped .

Think you should send yours to the R&A!!!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

So understanding all of the above. Today I find myself on a rough stoney track down LHS of fairway. I had pulled my approach to the green left and so I'm on the track - pretty much level with the flag - but with a bunker between ball and flag.

My ball was a couple of feet from the LHS of the track and maybe 4 ft from the RHS of it. So my NPR will be the LHS. Problem is that left of the track there is an overgrown bank about three or four foot deep running to the out of bounds hedge. Very Long grass and weeds cover the bank.

By pushing my backside and body hard into the hedge there is just enough room to mark a NPR at the very edge of the bank. But I can't take a swing for a shot towards the green - never mind the flag. If I dropped at the NPR the ball would almost certainly bury deep in the rough or bounce onto the track.

However I tell myself that this is just tough. The fact that I can take an albeit very uncomfortable stance well that's that. I either drop or I play it off the track - or take S&D. Playing S&D was not a good option for a number of reasons so I played it off the track 20yds back down the fairway.

Was my analysis of the situation correct and did I make the correct decision?
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done