Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Tour Winner

Re: Drop from path - Nearest Point of relief - please help

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Yes indeed, will save a lot of faffing about and uncertainty - and will protect folk walking the path. And yes - hope they do put white OoB stakes in the hedge - and make clear whether or not any 'hedge stakes' are part of the course boundary (is that the same under the rules as an OoB?) so clear whether a drop can be taken from any such stake (if interfering with swing) - or not.
    The white stakes define the OOB and therefore are not obstructions (Movable or Immovable). They may not be moved and relief is not available (unless taken under rule 28).
    Try to make sure they are on the fairway side of the hedge, not in the hedge.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    The white stakes define the OOB and therefore are not obstructions (Movable or Immovable). They may not be moved and relief is not available (unless taken under rule 28).
    Try to make sure they are on the fairway side of the hedge, not in the hedge.
    And here's a couple of snaps to show what we've done. The track is now out of bounds and the white posts define the out of bounds track-side of the new hedge. Previously the track and the little bank up to the hedge were in bounds. The hedge was the course boundary so out of bounds in respect to a course boundary applied.

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpg

We are going to let the rough grow deeper from half way between the fairway and the hedge - to stop rolling and most bouncing balls flying into and through the hedge and onto the track (which is well used). The new hedge will be in bounds. The white stakes clearly define 'out of bounds' track-side of the hedge.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 22-Aug-2017 at 17:16.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

On the subject of NPOR but slightly off topic, we were playing a foursomes comp yesterday and were on the fifth tee when a group playing a mixed foursomes game were approaching the second green that was adjacent. One of the ladies had been left next to a molehill by her partner and was asking if she could get relief and was told yes. She was shown the NPOR but then said 'i'm not dropping there, i'll be in the rough so i'll drop it here'.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    And here's a couple of snaps to show what we've done. The track is now out of bounds and the white posts define the out of bounds track-side of the new hedge. Previously the track and the little bank up to the hedge were in bounds. The hedge was the course boundary so out of bounds in respect to a course boundary applied.

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpg

We are going to let the rough grow deeper from half way between the fairway and the hedge - to stop rolling and most bouncing balls flying into and through the hedge and onto the track (which is well used). The new hedge will be in bounds. The white stakes clearly define 'out of bounds' track-side of the hedge.
    Why isn't the fence used to define the OOB?
    Presumably is is not deemed an integral part of the course and free relief will be available for a ball between the fence and the OOB line.
    I'm a bit concerned about determining the exact line if the player cannot get through the fence to get a line of site betwe
    wen stakes

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Why isn't the fence used to define the OOB?
    Presumably is is not deemed an integral part of the course and free relief will be available for a ball between the fence and the OOB line.
    I'm a bit concerned about determining the exact line if the player cannot get through the fence to get a line of site betwe
    wen stakes
    The fence is temporary while the hedge grows. There is a LR about the fence - can't recall what it is - but I think it is free relief - as we'd get if each of the new hedge shrubs were staked. I don't think they are at the moment. We use the track to get from the green you see (the 2nd) to the 3rd tee - walking back up the rise we've just played over. There is an exit through the fence to the track down by the green and you can get on to the track by the 3rd tee. You can see where the exit from the 2nd green to the track is in the 1st picture (between the two white OoB posts) and you see the notice in the ground telling us to exit from the green to the track in the 2nd.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 22-Aug-2017 at 22:44.

Job done

Head Pro

And remember its always the nearest not Nicest - So if you drop in the rough you dropping in the rough or trees or bush lol So sometimes it better to play it as it lies. Also remember if you're in a puddle on the path - you must take relief from the puddle first (drop on the path) ;-P
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by lukeysafc100 View Post
    And remember its always the nearest not Nicest - So if you drop in the rough you dropping in the rough or trees or bush lol So sometimes it better to play it as it lies. Also remember if you're in a puddle on the path - you must take relief from the puddle first (drop on the path) ;-P
    No, you can choose which condition you take relief from first.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    No, you can choose which condition you take relief from first.
    Indeed. Previously on the hole in question - if you were on the track but closer to the LHS i.e closer to the bank up to the OoB hedge, you had to work out best place to take relief from the track. The nearest point of relief was always the bank - but on the vast majority of situations you wouldn't want to drop there - into deep rough with no relief from the boundary hedge and so no swing. And so unless you decide to play off the track, taking relief from the track at cost of one shot was what you were left with.

1) Going back from the ball position as far as you want keeping ball position on track and the hole in line with each other, would take you out of bounds or dropping on the bank in deep rough and with no back swing. So not an option you'd choose. Might as well take free drop and end up in the same trouble.
    2) Taking stroke and distance would usually mean a long walk back down the fairway to have another go at a long blind and difficult second shot. Not ideal.
    3) Two club lengths not nearer the hole almost always meant that you were dropping on the track (due to the alignment of the track) - so nothing to be gained there.

Last time I was on the track I just played it from there. I suspect that many in the same situation would have felt that there MUST be an option that gives 'fair' free drop relief from the track, or a decent outcome from taking a penalty drop, and they would have convinced their PPs that there was one, but in most cases there just isn't.

What we have done now makes the situation much clearer and much easier to decide what to do.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 23-Aug-2017 at 09:19.

Job done