Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Declaring a ball lost…… SPOILER ALERT re Scottish Open

Had a similar thing happen to me on Saturday comp, but from the opposite pov.

Par five, half decent drive, second shot was just about in range with a 3 wood, smacks it straight into a bush to the right of the green so I drop another ball calling provisional. I then hit this just to the back of the green. I tell PP's not to bother looking for original ball as I'd rather play the percentage shot and probably get down in two from where I was and take the bogey.

One of the PP's decide that wasn't going to happen and found my original. I played a pretty jammy shot from behind the bush and put it closer than where my provisional ended up, and walked away with a par... PP wasn't amused
    Handicap 12.6 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    you hit a ball you think has gone OOB ..

you hit a prov.. that one sails OOB

you hit another prov, that Goes OOB too

you hit another prov..this one goes in the hole!!

You get to the green and find your first is in bounds and lying well looking like a straight forward up and down maybe even a chip in, but you've got a 7

Still a stupid rule?
    Far more fitting way of putting it than what I was going to say
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Any rule which states that the outcome of a hole is decided by a race is not a good rule in my opinion.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Winner

Paddyk's example is a good explanation as to why holing out is not necessarily a good way of changing a ball's status from "provisional" to "in play" . On the other hand, Bob does have a bit of a point about "a race".

Could a better way be for the rules to allow a player to declare a ball lost, but only on the occasion of the provisional being holed?

Ps: anyone know why the ability to declare a ball lost was dropped from the rules?
    Handicap Challenge - 10 July 18.0
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Is it not the case that if I didn't declare a provisional I was then taking 3 off the tee and then that ball was immediately in play.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Is it not the case that if I didn't declare a provisional I was then taking 3 off the tee and then that ball was immediately in play.
    Yes.

But the foregoing discussion revolves around the situation of wanting it to be a provisional at the time of hitting it (but wanting it not to be, after it's landed)
    Handicap Challenge - 10 July 18.0
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Head Pro

What would of happened if a member of the crowd had found his original ball, does that then become the ball in play?
    handicap 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by Hosel Fade View Post
    Apologies, didn't read the OP properly. I wasn't aware of this.

Actually, abandoning a ball without searching when your provisional is down the middle is not in the spirit of the game, although everyone does it. The point is that the provisional is only to save time if you really can't find your first, not to give you the choice of which to play. This is why you can't play you provisional if you find that your first ball is in an unplayable lie.
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by irip View Post
    What would of happened if a member of the crowd had found his original ball, does that then become the ball in play?
    yes he's obliged to go and identify it. if it's his then it's in play

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Any rule which states that the outcome of a hole is decided by a race is not a good rule in my opinion.
    Yes, because that is always the outcome!

In fact, has anyone ever seen this be the case?

It's another rule that just requires a bit of common sense from all parties, much like a whole host of the other rules of golf.
    Handicap: 12