Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Can you mess with standard scratch?

Thats very useful thanks.

It makes perfect sense playing SSS 70 when whites are much closer to yellows but at the same time I didn't want to stray from convention.

I will run it by the committee and the EGU as well.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    then look to have the other tees assessed separately asap
    I'm not sure if you meant all 18 holes or just the hole affected. You can't just rate one hole as the calculations relate to the 18 holes. Re-rating just one set of tees (white) for 18 holes would take a minimum of 3-4 hours plus a few hours paperwork.

I doubt that the county would be happy to take time out to do an individual assessment of two holes (even if it worked) or one set of tees when
    a) they will be doing a full assessment of all tees (red, yellow, white etc) within the next couple of years anyway
    b) they will be up to their eyes in assessing courses that need doing because of major changes that have been made since last rated
    c) the present rated tees will have been assessed under the old EGU system which is not directly compatible with the new USGA system used by EG.
    I'm not clear on whether the official rating is 70 for the short tees or 71 for the longer tees. But it is possible that the USGA rating could shift the Course Rating (SSS) one stroke up or down. So depending on which have been EGU rated the shorter course could now be 69 or 71 (or the longer 70 or 72). Which would be confusing if only the one set of tees are rated.

My expectation is that EG will take a pragmatic view and allow the 'temporary' situation to continue pro tem.
    Last edited by rulefan; 16-Jul-2017 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    I'm not sure if you meant all 18 holes or just the hole affected. You can't just rate one hole as the calculations relate to the 18 holes. Re-rating just one set of tees (white) for 18 holes would take a minimum of 3-4 hours plus a few hours paperwork.

I doubt that the county would be happy to take time out to do an individual assessment of two holes (even if it worked) or one set of tees when
    a) they will be doing a full assessment of all tees (red, yellow, white etc) within the next couple of years anyway
    b) they will be up to their eyes in assessing courses that need doing because of major changes that have been made since last rated
    c) the present rated tees will have been assessed under the old EGU system which is not directly compatible with the new USGA system used by EG.
    I'm not clear on whether the official rating is 70 for the short tees or 71 for the longer tees. But it is possible that the USGA rating could shift the Course Rating (SSS) one stroke up or down. So depending on which have been EGU rated the shorter course could now be 69 or 71 (or the longer 70 or 72). Which would be confusing if only the one set of tees are rated.

My expectation is that EG will take a pragmatic view and allow the 'temporary' situation to continue pro tem.
    From what sawtooth has said the longer tees are the rated measured course. For some reason at some stage in the past they played of other shorter tees and used white tee being shorter than normal decided to decrease the SSS manually - if it was because of course works it's allowed on a temp basis but it seems that they just have kept doing it regardless of any course work which for me is clearly not allowed. So they should imo only be playing HC Q comps of the measured course ( within 100 yards ) - if they have some other tees that can be used but outside 100 yards they can get them measured as well as possibly an (b tee ) for those holes - it's what the county are doing for us for a hole which has a longer tee on

Tour Winner

I am surprised. Had the original tees been rated under USGA or EGU?
    Certified measurements are one thing but landing areas and obstacles are another. Is the county doing a rating process? If so, under which protocol?