Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Can tees affect your shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Foreplay View Post
    'Aerodynamic head for longer drives'.

Got me wondering if different tees can really make a difference?
    The answer should be no.

Tees (Rule 11)
    A tee is a device designed to raise the ball off the ground. A tee must not:

• be longer than 4 inches (101.6 mm);
    • be designed or manufactured in such a way that it could indicate line of play;
    • unduly influence the movement of the ball; or
    • otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

Q-School Graduate

Yep, once watched a chap play half a round using the long pink tee's for driver off the 'T' nowt strange in that you say, he was using a 19* hybrid and kept whipping the 'T' out from under the ball...

I eventually took pity on him and asked him if he had any other T's he could use to which he answered 'no, it's been a long time since I last played and I've only got these which I've picked up on my way round' so I delved deep into my bag and dug out a good handful of the short red ones and gave'm to him, he was most chuffed...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    You're going to have to explain the science behind that one for me mate 
    It is one of the methods used to teach a player to draw a ball. A ball which is above your feet will tend to have draw spin when hit.

My Pro got me hitting 6 iron shots with a ball tee on the longest tee available when I decided to turn my standard fade shot in to a draw shot.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    It's not an alignment issue as I am not hitting them straight in the wrong direction, they start off straight, then veer horribly to the right.

Have got a lesson booked for Monday morning, am hoping that will sort it out as this is doing my head in!
    It may well be an alignment issue.

I have struggled with alignment recently. Good on the range but not on course. Had a playing lesson and the pro quickly identified I was lining up closed, especially feet, aiming right of target, probably to sub consciously avoid a fade. That actually made it worse according to him as in your head I was adjusting my swing path to try to hit it straight, making me come over the top.

Straightened my alignment and it made a big difference. Just have to learn to do it myself on course now.

So yes, alignment can cause fades and slices, as well as straight shots in the wrong direction.
    In the bag:TM M1 10.5 Driver; TM M2 5 Wood; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 14.1>14.2>14.3

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post

My Pro got me hitting 6 iron shots with a ball tee on the longest tee available when I decided to turn my standard fade shot in to a draw shot.
    You're $hitting me surely? 6 iron off a pink tee as a drill?
    *goes on Ebay to order a bag of pink tees*
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    Er...I think you mean 'performance' rather than 'quality'! And even that is arguable - without defining performance metrics/criteria! They are often designed to travel less distance than 'proper' balls - and generally do that job superbly! It's more likely that it a less responsive core rather than more (or less) spin that achieves the performance design aim!

After several zilion hits and washes however, the quality of the cover is pretty low, which also reduces flight - try hitting a completely smooth ball (or simply a core) and see what happens!
    you keep hitting ctrl+b.

While it certainly won't fully explain the performance difference, one aspect that needs to be considered is that, on the range, there is no self inflicted mental pressure. I have virtually given up using the range for practicing ... I often used to hit the ball so well on the range, only to fail to match it when next on the course. Now I only use it occasionally to warm up before a round.
    Slinfold Golf & Country Club (Handicap 20)

Hacker

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    My problem exactly. Played Sunday, slicing horribly off the tee. Went to the range on Tuesday, driving straight 90% of the time. Played Wednesday, slicing again. Went to range Thursday, hitting it nice and straight. Played yesterday, slicing again. Use a big blue rubber tee at the range, and a pink plastic one on the course.

It's not an alignment issue as I am not hitting them straight in the wrong direction, they start off straight, then veer horribly to the right.

Have got a lesson booked for Monday morning, am hoping that will sort it out as this is doing my head in!
    Let me know how the lesson goes Rudebhoy

Tour Rookie

Very doubtful the tee is the cause of the slice, very doubtful.
    Really don't get the higher tee for a draw and lower tee for a fade etc. A few Mm of a difference in tee height to 99% of golfers will make zero difference. The tee nor the ball wont affect the swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbo View Post
    Very doubtful the tee is the cause of the slice, very doubtful.
    Really don't get the higher tee for a draw and lower tee for a fade etc. A few Mm of a difference in tee height to 99% of golfers will make zero difference. The tee nor the ball wont affect the swing.
    It usually works that way for me , lower the tee to help encourage fade.