Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tour Winner Crazyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    3,261

    Football Transfer Madness

    Have City set the new mark? 50 MILLION for a 27 yo FULL BACK!
    and not a very good one at that.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

  2. #2
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Exactly, it's what I said on the other thread.
    Even as a Spurs fan, I've got to admit he's not worth that, but we'll take the cash.
    Walker is quick and great going forward, but he can be off slightly defending.

  3. #3
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,636

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    I suppose they are worth what someone is willing to pay. Can't help thinking it must all go tits up soon as it is not sustainable unless clubs are increasingly willing to accept money from more and more 'questionable' sources. But then again I have been thinking that for a long time.

  4. #4
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S W Scotland
    Posts
    14,250

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Based on the Scotland v England game I would rate Dier's value as nearer 50p than 50m.

    Stupid 'kings new clothes' money, it will all end in tears.

  5. #5
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Football transfers have gone out of control, the prices EPL clubs are willing to pay is mental, that said the rumour was while Pogba cost close to 100million last season, Man U pulled in more than that in merchandising globally, so while on the surface his price tag seemed ridiculous it was good business.

    However, there are only a few club that could pull off that kind of business and for the rest pay anything north of 30 million is a big big gamble.

    Also the prices of the players will keep on increasing, players wage demands will keep on increasing as a result of the fees and wages the teams in the Chinese Super League are willing to pay.
    If you've been smoking something you shouldn't and you see something that walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's probably a dog or a bag of peas.

  6. #6
    Journeyman Pro IanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,001

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Quite mad. I remember as a kid Trevor Francis going for 1 million... my dad laughed his head off at that. Goodness knows what he'd make of it now AND season tickets at some Premier Clubs costing more than your annual golf subs! No thanks
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

  7. #7
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    season tickets at some Premier Clubs costing more than your annual golf subs! No thanks
    There is no way on earth I'd pay a season ticket price to go watch a bunch of over paid prima donna's kick a ball around for 90mins, that written and being somewhat hypocritical, I'll happily watch the football on Sky.

    At least on Sky though I've the option of changing channels, or turning it off and I'm in the comfort of my own home.
    If you've been smoking something you shouldn't and you see something that walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's probably a dog or a bag of peas.

  8. #8
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    13,934

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    Football transfers have gone out of control, the prices EPL clubs are willing to pay is mental, that said the rumour was while Pogba cost close to 100million last season, Man U pulled in more than that in merchandising globally, so while on the surface his price tag seemed ridiculous it was good business.

    However, there are only a few club that could pull off that kind of business and for the rest pay anything north of 30 million is a big big gamble.

    Also the prices of the players will keep on increasing, players wage demands will keep on increasing as a result of the fees and wages the teams in the Chinese Super League are willing to pay.
    I don't get this shirt sale malarkey.

    If Man U normally sell 50 million shirts, with various names on the back.

    If they sign Pogba and still sell 50 million shirts, but just more with his name on, no change.

    However, if they then sell 60 million shirts due to him bringing in another 10 million divvies who "like" a player, than support a club - fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    Quite mad. I remember as a kid Trevor Francis going for 1 million... my dad laughed his head off at that. Goodness knows what he'd make of it now AND season tickets at some Premier Clubs costing more than your annual golf subs! No thanks
    In todays market Trevor Francis is probably still worth a mill.

  9. #9
    Ryder Cup Winner pbrown7582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north yorks
    Posts
    12,641

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    I don't get this shirt sale malarkey.

    If Man U normally sell 50 million shirts, with various names on the back.

    If they sign Pogba and still sell 50 million shirts, but just more with his name on, no change.

    However, if they then sell 60 million shirts due to him bringing in another 10 million divvies who "like" a player, than support a club - fair enough.



    In todays market Trevor Francis is probably still worth a mill.

    Hey don't you go being all level headed and spoil the justification of inflated transfer fees............

    dab.......

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner Pin-seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13,171

    Re: Football Transfer Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    I don't get this shirt sale malarkey.

    If Man U normally sell 50 million shirts, with various names on the back.

    If they sign Pogba and still sell 50 million shirts, but just more with his name on, no change.

    However, if they then sell 60 million shirts due to him bringing in another 10 million divvies who "like" a player, than support a club - fair enough.



    In todays market Trevor Francis is probably still worth a mill.
    But without having a Pogba or Neymar in the team their shirt sales could drop to say 40 million.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

WATCH: Jesper Parnevik Makes Incredible Par

Check out this par from Jesper Parnevik at the weekend

April 23, 2018

Titleist AVX Golf Balls Introduced

Titleist AVX Golf Balls Introduced - Titleist has revealed a brand new premium golf ball called AVX that offers a lower flight and a softer feel than the popular Pro V1 and Pro V1x

April 23, 2018

WATCH: Sergio Garcia Throws Driver Into Bushes

The Spaniard lost his cool during the second round of the Valero Texas Open

April 23, 2018

WATCH: Jimenez Hits Shocking Putt, Olazabal Laughs

You've got to laugh...

April 23, 2018

Take This Equipment Survey To Win A Custom Fit Set Of Irons

Take this equipment survey and you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a custom fit set of irons from a premium brand

April 23, 2018