• Fast

54 65.06%
  • Slow but true

13 15.66%
  • Don't care, I'll adjust

13 15.66%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Fast or slow greens

Do you prefer fast or slow greens and why?

We have all heard the expression 'they were slow but true', but is that suffice and ideal?

Do you know what stimp reading really suits you and your putter and putting style?

For me I love fast greens, the reading of them is more exact which is a challenge I love to tackle, getting the speed right of them doubles that challenge.

Yes they need to be true, but I find the faster greens to be naturally true anyway, slow greens can be a lottery, but more-so, I think slower greens yield better scores as players attack the hole far more with no fear of going 10ft past.

What's your take on the speed of greens and if you knew the ideal stimp for your putting game and could see a board at the start of the round, taking into account there will be slight variables during the day, would you change or consider changing and having 2 putters to suit slow or faster greens?

Would knowing the stimp help or assist you in anyway before starting your round?
    Last edited by Fish; 14-Jul-2017 at 06:30.
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 17.5

19 months without an Infraction!!!

Re: Fast or slow greens

I much prefer fast greens, but not too fast, a stimp of 12 is a bit too much and can get farcical on steep sloping greens. Players that can putt well lose their advantage on slow greens.
    knowing the stimp could help, but would only help for the first couple of greens after that any decent putter should be able to adapt naturally.

Head Pro

Fast greens all day. I'm a better putter on fast greens as I feel I can stroke the put. On slower greens where you need to 'hit it' I can loose my tempo and structure as such

Not too bothered about speed, more fussed about smoothness, consistency & firmness to make angles off the tee more relevant. So long as theyre at 8 or higher and they cut the pins in playable locations I'm happy

I'll adjust , it's the skill of the game. What's next, measuring the bounce on fairways or the depth of sand in the bunkers?

What I have noticed is that fast greens generally slow pace of play. This time of year ours run around 11.5/12.00, but this year they have slowed them slightly to 10.00/10.50
    H/C 12.7
    www.farleighfox.co.uk

WITB 2016
    Alot of Callaway, two clubs away from being a brand ambassador .

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsocks View Post
    This time of year ours run around 11.5/12.00, but this year they have slowed them slightly to 10.00/10.50
    How do you know this?

Prefer a decent pace but slow greens are easier to put on. Much less break required.
    Mizuno mp850 Fujikura vista tour pro x big blue bad boy from GM & Mizuno powers that be! or Titleist 910 (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24 hybrid
    Titleist 915 27 hybrid
    Titleist 714ap2 6-gap
    Vokey sm4 56 wedge or winter sm6 14bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60 wedge or old trusty MD 60* 8bounce
    Bullseye putter
    handicap updated to 8.2

Medium ? I struggle to read slope. Not whether the putt is going to break left to right, or right to left, but when its a subtle uphill or downhill slope. Sounds stupid, but on fast greens it magnifies my problem. I therefore don't like them too slow, but not too fast either.
    H/cap 7.5, Lymm Golf Club

No option for medium?
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12

I prefer them quick. It allows me to just concentrate on stroking the ball onto it's line. Whereas slower greens make me feel I need to hit the ball towards the hole, thus my stroke isn't as smooth.
    Obviously there can be problems with fast greens, especially when you end up on the high side of the hole, as control becomes more difficult.
    H'cap: 5
    In the bag:
    Driver: Titleist 915 D2 - 9.5* - Diamana Blue 60 X
    5 Wood - Titleist 913 - 16* - RIP Phenom stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 - 19* - Diamana Blue 70 S
    Irons: Titleist TMB - 4 iron - DG AMT S300
    Titleist AP2 - 5 & 6 - DG AMT S300
    Titleist CB - 7 to PW - DG AMT S300
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 - 50*, 54*, 58* (M or S grind - I forget which)
    Putter: Odyssey Works Tank Versa #1 Wide
    member at: http://www.kedlestonparkgolfclub.co.uk/