Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Speed of play

Assistant Pro

Re: Speed of play

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Moral arguments are just personal opinions???? Wow. To hold a moral objection to a course of action is hardly "whining about it". Slow play can be, and is managed without unfairness.

I wondered if the "it works so it it's all right" argument would emerge. That's what Donald Trump says about waterboarding.
    Your opinion is that it's immoral; my opinion is that it's not. I'm not going to argue personal opinions.
    Last edited by rulie; 16-Jul-2017 at 20:37.

Tour Winner

My argument is that it isn't even necessary.

Further, pressure is being put on players who are trying to play their own game without having to worry about someone they are competing against.
    In order to speed up play, should players be obliged to help search for a FC's ball.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    Your opinion is that it's immoral; my opinion is that it's not. I'm not going to argue personal opinions.
    Morality: Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.
    Justice: The moral principle determining just conduct.
    Opinion: A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Fair enough if you don't want to enter an argument, but please don't trivialise morality and justice as mere matters of personal opinion.
    Last edited by Colin L; 17-Jul-2017 at 05:09.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

In a two ball yesterday. Found ourselves behind a slow two-ball behind a slow three-ball (who had dropped a hole and half). But as the two-ball was so slow the three-ball never felt inclined to let them through.

We caught the two ball on the 9th and I put 8 bogeys from 10-17 down to hanging about waiting. Actually - TBH - it was just me. I was using the fact that we were waiting for all of the back nine as an excuse when it was just my rubbish chipping.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Morality: Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.
    Justice: The moral principle determining just conduct.
    Opinion: A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Fair enough if you don't want to enter an argument, but please don't trivialise morality and justice as mere matters of personal opinion.
    Opinion: what one thinks about a particular topic or question
    The Rules of golf permit the Committee to institute a pace of play policy, including a group place of play policy (as evidenced by one of the ruling bodies adopting it for their competitions), yet you think it's immoral. I consider that your opinion on a topic which is in concert with the Rules of golf; mine differs.
    Last edited by rulie; 18-Jul-2017 at 01:27.

Tour Winner

Obviously, I am saying that the ruling body concerned is wrong by adopting a policy that is unjust. (I'm not actually convinced that Rules do permit this type of pace of play policy, but that's not the point.)

And by saying that, I'm not merely expressing a personal opinion. I'm making a judgment founded on the basic principle that it is unjust to punish an innocent person for actions committed by another person. That principle is not my invention, not a mere supposition on my part and it gives my conclusion an objectivity well beyond a personal opinion. It's not just what I "think about a topic". If that conclusion is thought to be wrong, it should be challenged either because it is in fact just to punish an innocent party or because although it is unjust, it is not applicable to a slow play policy.

Tour Winner

@ rulefan

Your email isn't working - sent you a PM.

Tour Winner

See PM response

15 all?
    Forever trying.