Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed of play

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Speed of play

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I'd allow the professional to use range finders. All the faffing around to get the yardage is nonsense, they get the correct distance with all the pacing etc so why not just allow a quick blip with a Bushnell and get on with the shot?
    They will be soon. Part of the forthcoming rule changes. Unless the tours ban them

Put me down as 'underwhelmed', at the conduct of some pro's and most officials.

The players already have the job of referee. They can self penalise and make rulings without consultation. I know penalising all 3 in a group sounds harsh, but the quicker players will sort out the slow ones very quickly when there is money and potential titles at stake.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by R G Roden View Post
    The players already have the job of referee. They can self penalise and make rulings without consultation. I know penalising all 3 in a group sounds harsh, but the quicker players will sort out the slow ones very quickly when there is money and potential titles at stake.
    Making rulings about one's own play is not being a referee; a player cannot make a ruling about another player. I was looking for justification for putting players in the position of regulating the play of other players and being penalised if they didn't succeed. I'm not concerned that it might seem harsh, or convinced that it could work as easily as you suggest. That's irrelevant. The point is that it is unjust. Are you really saying that at an extreme, a player could be docked a stroke and thus lose first place in a tournament because he was unable to persuade another player to play faster?

It's a good point but the onus is still on the player. I do believe in penalising the whole group. Just like amateur golf it up to everyone in the group to encourage or even demand that slow players speed up.
    What gives you the right to demand that slow players speed up?
    If you want to play fast fine, but you have to accept that some players want to/have to play slower
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    What gives you the right to demand that slow players speed up?
    If you want to play fast fine, but you have to accept that some players want to/have to play slower
    The OP was aimed at pro tour golf.
    If slow (not defined) players hold up others and this affects their game (and ultimately their income), it seems not unreasonable that action should be taken. If other pros are not concerned, where is the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    The OP was aimed at pro tour golf.
    I know, but

Just like amateur golf it up to everyone in the group to encourage or even demand that slow players speed up.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Many club plays won't/don't make formal complaints when they know that a player has cheated, their not going to start making formal complaints about FC being slow.

Trying to get into who was the actual slow player in a group of three is a nightmare with everyone pointing the finger at someone else.

At amateur level I haven't even seen a rules official pick up a slow player.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Trying to get into who was the actual slow player in a group of three is a nightmare with everyone pointing the finger at someone else.

At amateur level I haven't even seen a rules official pick up a slow player.
    We try to be discrete about it. Players are usually approached quietly on leaving the green or leaving the tee. But PoP monitoring is a major activity of referees in amateur play. There are very few penalties because the first warning is usually sufficient. We can identify a culprit very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    We try to be discrete about it. Players are usually approached quietly on leaving the green or leaving the tee. But PoP monitoring is a major activity of referees in amateur play. There are very few penalties because the first warning is usually sufficient. We can identify a culprit very quickly.
    Do you identify a culprit or the group? Obviously at club level having someone on every group is not practical so policing becomes more difficult.