Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed of play

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: Speed of play

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I'd allow the professional to use range finders. All the faffing around to get the yardage is nonsense, they get the correct distance with all the pacing etc so why not just allow a quick blip with a Bushnell and get on with the shot?
    The yardage takes them no time to work out. It's the rest of the faffing around that takes the time.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Tour Winner

England Golf and my County use a similar PoP policy but have recently introduced a 'Random Timing' element.
    A player may be given a 'bad time' penalty for taking more than 60 seconds to make any stroke at any time.
    I have advised a couple of players that they were getting close to the 60 second limit. Neither needed telling twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doh View Post
    Are you glad you got that off your chest.
    Not realy, I will be glad when the officials start to get tough on time wasters and players who seek to gain unfair advantages.

That's a step in the right direction, nice to hear.

It's a good point but the onus is still on the player. I do believe in penalising the whole group. Just like amateur golf it up to everyone in the group to encourage or even demand that slow players speed up.

Quote Originally Posted by R G Roden View Post
    Every event on every tour is marred by players taking up to three minutes to choose a club, line and re-align putts, work out yardages and factor conditions.
    http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/wh...e-naming-names

The Five Slowest Players
    1. Nick O'Hearn
    Average Time Per Shot: 55 seconds

2. J.B. Holmes
    Average Time Per Shot: 52 seconds

3. John Senden
    Average Time Per Shot: 51 seconds

4. Kevin Na
    Average Time Per Shot: 50 seconds

5. Charlie Wi
    Average Time Per Shot: 50 seconds\n
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

The first thing pro's would do in this instance is to claim "distraction" when and where it suits them.

These times stated are not even close to the worst offenders I have seen recently. Michelle Wie took nearly 3 minutes on a 3 foot putt and Fred Couples took 2 minutes just to decide on a club after the previous player had played from the fairway, and he had been in position at his ball for over a minute and a half before that. The list go's on and on.

Tour Winner

It's a good point but the onus is still on the player. I do believe in penalising the whole group. Just like amateur golf it up to everyone in the group to encourage or even demand that slow players speed up.
    You may believe in it, but how do you justify penalising a player who has encouraged and even demanded that a slow player speed up only for it to have made no difference? How do you justify giving a player the responsibility of a referee - without the authority of one?

Tour Winner

The first thing pro's would do in this instance is to claim "distraction" when and where it suits them.
    Remember TV calls the tune. The pro tours are not interested as long as the have punters prepared to continue watching. There is no incentive to finish sooner, the longer it takes the more adverts.

High level amateur golf is different. The officials put pressure on players if they are not upto speed.
    As they are all volunteers, they are concerned about when they can get home