Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Iron distances...

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    Yes I do get quite a lot of height in my shots which is something I've struggled with a bit and no they're not greatly effected by a crosswind but 'headwinds' almost bring me to tears as I loose so much distance when hitting into a headwind, to the point where I physically try to avoid playing on windy days...
    then what likely goin down is current swing motion is presenting a bunch too much 'loft' on the club face coming into/at impact - could be bunch of stuff as to why that is happening from hanging back with the body on the trailside some with hip angle that's a bunch too 'square' to ball/target line - so lead hip not really turning left out of the ways & not enough weight pressure on the lead leg

but for sure all kinds of stuff could play into it from how the hands sit on the handle & body angles at set-up

so the focus rather on being over distance ball flies - the biggest improvements through the game in the full swing would likely be through being able to bring down both LA & spin rate so improve the trajectory of flight (then you'd get a tad more distance as a by-product)
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by the_coach View Post
    then what likely goin down is current swing motion is presenting a bunch too much 'loft' on the club face coming into/at impact - could be bunch of stuff as to why that is happening from hanging back with the body on the trailside some with hip angle that's a bunch too 'square' to ball/target line - so lead hip not really turning left out of the ways & not enough weight pressure on the lead leg

but for sure all kinds of stuff could play into it from how the hands sit on the handle & body angles at set-up

so the focus rather on being over distance ball flies - the biggest improvements through the game in the full swing would likely be through being able to bring down both LA & spin rate so improve the trajectory of flight (then you'd get a tad more distance as a by-product)
    My stance is quite narrow (due to a lack of flexibility) as I struggle to follow through on the swing if I stand to wide, I struggle to turn out of the way so tend to stop short of completing a full swing when utilising a wider stance, I find that a 'feet together' stance (about 4/5" apart) eliminates the problem, would this be contributing to the problem ?...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 6-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    My stance is quite narrow (due to a lack of flexibility) as I struggle to follow through on the swing if I stand to wide, I struggle to turn out of the way so tend to stop short of completing a full swing when utilising a wider stance, I find that a 'feet together' stance (about 4/5" apart) eliminates the problem, would this be contributing to the problem ?...
    real hard to say - not a bunch helpful I know - but it could have or may have nothing much to do with - usually if stance tending to narrow then that can often times help hip turn has to be real wide to really limit turn but depends on folks range of movement for sure - but also playing into it is what else is goin on in how the club goes back to the top - how the transition sequence starts - all that kinda stuff

but given the brief description of maybes the swing being sawn-off some one part of it could be leaving too much weight pressure through the trailside/trail leg in the downswing to impact - as that would then limit the ability to turn & clear the lead hip fully which again would limit the ability to rotate the upper body - all of which can mean the hands/handle have some of a 'flip-type' release through the impact area which would result in too much 'loft' on the face-angle at strike

if possible a trip to the Pro would help sort out any stuff at set-up like grip-hold wise & stance posture that could be playing into the swing motion issues & also work with the swing motion to improve the impact conditions

if for any reason that not possible -
    then one 'given' to have a penetrating kinda flight so able to lower the dynamic loft (with irons) is being able to get onto the lead side with the weight pressure & being able to turn & clear the lead hip out of the way

good mental image is remember that set-up position of the club & body is not the same as the position of the club & body into & through impact

so getting yourself in to a reasonable set-up position then without making a swing just put more weight pressure on the lead leg & turn the lead hip left some (out of the ways) should find that will also open up the chest & shoulders a tad with lead shoulder higher trial shoulder lower & all that will have move the hands forwards some so you got a tad forwards leaning shaft with hands/handle also a tad left of where they were at address - & looking at the face angle of the 7i you should see that the loft (from address position) has lowered by a real bunch

if you just work from set-up to posed impact position a good bunch of times should begin to feel where you trying to work to at impact in a swing

then say once done that a bunch of times just swing back halfways & swing smooth through that 'impact position' you been working with on the way to a finish with the weight on the lead heel & the trail foot working up onto to toes (perpendicular to the ground)
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

I score in the 80s on a decent day and its carry is 135-140. With run out it can go longer but that's the safe carry distance.

If I had to make a 140 yard carry I might even chose a 6. 140 to the pin and it would be an 8

I think I hit the ball well with decent control but my irons are far from new...

Mine aren't exact to the yard, but based on what I would play from these distances on a course in normal conditions:

Less than 80 yards = SW
    80-120 yards = PW (80y would be a half or three quarter swing, but I don't own a gap wedge so needs must)
    125-135 = 9i
    140-150 = 8i
    150-160 = 7i
    160-170 = 6i
    170-180 = 5i
    185+ = 4 hybrid

Around that anyway.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersoft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

work out which club you need to hit in order to achieve a certain distance and go with that. Forget the number on the bottom of the club and what others are playing. If you are consistent with your shots, you'll play to your handicap and enjoy your golf.

The best way to realise whether you’re hitting a club the correct distance for you is to have your swing speed measured.

I swing a 7i 86mph, have stiff shafts and hit it around 150-156 carry, 160 with rollout.

From my swing speed, I should be hitting it further, but I present too much loft at impact, as I swing slightly out to in and present an open club face, and then on top I’m an early releaser, so lose distance.

Clubs also affect it, if and you use clubs with to additional lofts, a 7i is about 34 degrees, where as modern lofts as 7i is 30-31 degrees. If you present both clubs at impact with the same hand position, the modern club goes further due to less dynamic loft.

So there are a lot of variables, just hit what you need to.

If I have 150 to the middle of the green I know a solid 7 iron is for me. Like the OP I see PP's hitting it with a 9 from that sort of distance, I never let it bother me, it's how many not how far that goes on the scorecard.
    2015 H/cap 15.8 > 11.3 2016 H/cap 11.3 > 11.5 2017 H/cap 11.5 > ?

Callaway FTiZ
    Benross HTX 3 wood + 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP1 714 4-PW
    Tour Edge50*
    Benross ZipIt 56* + 60*
    Odyssey Works Versa V-Line

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

www.balbirniegolf.com

Some clubs have different angles. A mate of mine would hit his 9 as far as I hit my 8. We swapped clubs on a par 3 once and he hit my 8 shorter than mine and I hit his 9 further than my 8 and his 9.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to hit an extra club than your pals though as proximity to hole is more important.
    I discuss forum threads, therefore I am

As a general rule of thumb I work on a 130 yard carry with my 7-iron.