Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Iron distances...

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    a modern 7i is the same loft as his mizuno 5i
    and probably has a lighter faster shaft too.
    So in reality he may not be gaining any improved distance loft for loft only on he number on the bottom. That's what I meant by the question. In my mind improved distance is from like foe like loft numbers

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdouble View Post
    So in reality he may not be gaining any improved distance loft for loft only on he number on the bottom. That's what I meant by the question. In my mind improved distance is from like foe like loft numbers
    Pretty much.
    COYS

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    So what would be a good distance ball, at the moment I'm using Srixon 'soft feel' and 'ad333' for the most although I do tend to just grab the first ball that comes to hand...
    Those are the balls I use, slight preference for Soft Feel. Good quality balls and a decent compromise between distance and feel.

Tour Rookie

There are all sorts of things that need considering here, quality of strike, dynamic loft and also what carry you are getting and how much roll out when comparing your self to others.

All that said, when comparing you should take care not to be overly critical of your game. If you are hitting 2 clubs more but are straight and accurate that's got to be better than your mates who are 2 clubs lower than you and spraying it all over the place - right?

If you really want to catch them up work of strike and the loft delivered at impact - you might not get the same distance if you add loft with your swing. You'll then get more height, probably more spin and therefore less carry and less roll out - but you'll be able to hold greens better to - so it's not necessarily a bad thing at all.
    Woods: Callaway X-Hot
    Hybrids: Srixon ZH45 3h & 4h
    Irons: Srixon Z545 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 50 and 56, Wilson Staff 60
    Putter: Odyssey Sabretooth
    Ball: Srixon AD333
    Handicap for 2017: 18.6 > 17.6 (GPR) > 18.2 (6 x +0.1)

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    There are all sorts of things that need considering here, quality of strike, dynamic loft and also what carry you are getting and how much roll out when comparing your self to others.

All that said, when comparing you should take care not to be overly critical of your game. If you are hitting 2 clubs more but are straight and accurate that's got to be better than your mates who are 2 clubs lower than you and spraying it all over the place - right?

If you really want to catch them up work of strike and the loft delivered at impact - you might not get the same distance if you add loft with your swing. You'll then get more height, probably more spin and therefore less carry and less roll out - but you'll be able to hold greens better to - so it's not necessarily a bad thing at all.
    Crickey, you been stalking me mate, you've just described my iron shots to a 'T' if you'll excuse the pun, you sound like a man talking from experience...

I get loads'a height, hit'm straight as an arrow, they're not drastically effected by the wind (apart from head on) and I'm reasonably good at stopping the ball on the greens as my ball doesn't roll out very much...

So can I take it from that that the height and the backspin (which I didn't realise I was achieving) is the reason why my ball all but pitches to a dead stop whereas most of my mates who when pitching on the greens usually end up 'out the back and in the crap' as I say...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Challenge Tour Pro

Thanks 'gents' for all your input, my clubs are of the older persuasion 'T-zoid pro II' but as I've already said I hit them really well and as I don't have a great deal of surplus cash they're likely to be in the bag for a good while, that and they were my 'grandads' so they have some sentimental attachment to boot...

My main concern was that I was hitting substantially shorter than the average player but it seems as though I'm not in the minority which puts my mind a bit more at ease...

Eventually I may find the money (and the heart) to replace them with something a little more modern, but for now I'm happy to leave things as they are...

Once again, thanks for all your input...
    You would probably find these clubs have about 4 degrees less loft than a new club, hence the difference between you and your mates.

The thing to watch out for with clubs that old is that there is not the normal distance gap between clubs as these are forged clubs which can change loft and the age of the shafts may mean a slight difference in flex between the shafts on each club.

I swing at 85mph and expect to carry my 7 iron about 155 yards

Something to compare yourself too
    Last edited by Dasit; 15-Jul-2017 at 21:32.
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

Tour Rookie

Different makers have different lofts, shaft length etc. So a 7 iron aint the same across the brands.

Tour Rookie

Crickey, you been stalking me mate, you've just described my iron shots to a 'T' if you'll excuse the pun, you sound like a man talking from experience...

I get loads'a height, hit'm straight as an arrow, they're not drastically effected by the wind (apart from head on) and I'm reasonably good at stopping the ball on the greens as my ball doesn't roll out very much...

So can I take it from that that the height and the backspin (which I didn't realise I was achieving) is the reason why my ball all but pitches to a dead stop whereas most of my mates who when pitching on the greens usually end up 'out the back and in the crap' as I say...
    Sounds like we have very similar games then, I've never struggled with launch and height but do struggle with distance and the ball balloons up when playing directly into the wind. As such I think I'm adding loft with my swing and creating spin - both of which sacrifice distance.

I've been working with a pro to reverse both of these things and have added 20 yards if you believe the launch monitors to my 6i - gone from full distance of around 140 to 160. Seeing about a 145yard carry (with variable roll out) on the course in the main though as launch simulators are perfect conditions.
    Woods: Callaway X-Hot
    Hybrids: Srixon ZH45 3h & 4h
    Irons: Srixon Z545 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 50 and 56, Wilson Staff 60
    Putter: Odyssey Sabretooth
    Ball: Srixon AD333
    Handicap for 2017: 18.6 > 17.6 (GPR) > 18.2 (6 x +0.1)

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Sounds like we have very similar games then, I've never struggled with launch and height but do struggle with distance and the ball balloons up when playing directly into the wind. As such I think I'm adding loft with my swing and creating spin - both of which sacrifice distance.

I've been working with a pro to reverse both of these things and have added 20 yards if you believe the launch monitors to my 6i - gone from full distance of around 140 to 160. Seeing about a 145yard carry (with variable roll out) on the course in the main though as launch simulators are perfect conditions.
    Yes we do seem to have a similar issue with our swings but judging by the rest of the comments at least it seems we're not in the minority 'thank god for small mercies' I think my issues can be ironed out (if you'll excuse the pun) with a change of irons as I think trying to change my swing will be a major task due to certain flexibility issues and I'm more than comfortable with how my swing is...

I've done the groin strain, tweeked back, tennis elbow thing on my journey to get to where I am now and it's not something I'm prepared to have another 'crack of the whip' at so as it stands I'll stick with what I've got for now and maybe try some 'demo' irons here and there to see if anything stands out as a possible replacement for my current irons...

I do actually own a set of 'Speedblades' which I aquired rather cheap but they're 'reg shaft' and '2*-flat' which is not the ideal for me as I tend to put them consistently right of target with quite a high percentage of slices and shanks into the bargain 'but' I do hit'em a country mile "when" I actually manage to hit'em square...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...