Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Iron distances...

Hello boys and girls, haven't been on for a while as I've been busy with work and a college course and of course 'playing golf' as much as possible before it starts raining again...

Just a quickie really I've been working on my drives off the 'T' as this is where I've been falling flat on my face most of the time but a new 3-wood (callaway XR) has cured the issue...

what I'd like to know 'if you don't mind' is what sort of distances you lot are hitting your 7i, I'm carrying mine about 140/45 which seems a little on the short side in my opinion, especially when my mates are hitting 8's and 9's those sort of distances...

Its not causing me any real issues but I do find myself coming up short on quite a few occasions...

I don't fat, thin, slice, hook, top or shank my irons (barring the very odd occasion) and I hit them on target and for the most 'straight' save the odd slight fade/draw...

Does this seem a reasonable distance to you or would you be querying those sort of distances ?...

Any views on the subject would be most appreciated...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 13-Jul-2017 at 21:42.
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Tour Rookie

Re: Iron distances...

I wouldn't worry what others hit, hit the right club for you. If as it sounds for 150 you need to hit a 6 iron, just hit that. Doesn't matter if your mates hit 8 or 9. As long as you're hitting it cleanly and consistently that's all you really want.
    Callaway RAZR Black Driver & 4 Wood
    3Hybrid Callaway RAZR
    Soon to be the new Cleveland 588 irons courtesy of GM Magazine :-) thanks guys!
    Odyssey 2 Ball F7 Putter (the bees knees) ;-)

I would say 140 or say is pretty average. I wouldn't worry what others hit and just concentrate on hitting smoothly and consistently and work on dispersion

depends on the club. my xr pros were a hell of a lot longer than my current ap2s.

Depends entirely on your size/age/general athletic ability. Play the club that you hit the yardage required, don't try and force an 8 10 yards extra just because your mate just hit 8.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    Hello boys and girls, haven't been on for a while as I've been busy with work and a college course and of course 'playing golf' as much as possible before it starts raining again...

Just a quickie really I've been working on my drives off the 'T' as this is where I've been falling flat on my face most of the time but a new 3-wood (callaway XR) has cured the issue...

what I'd like to know 'if you don't mind' is what sort of distances you lot are hitting your 7i, I'm carrying mine about 140/45 which seems a little on the short side in my opinion, especially when my mates are hitting 8's and 9's those sort of distances...

Its not causing me any real issues but I do find myself coming up short on quite a few occasions...

I don't fat, thin, slice, hook, top or shank my irons (barring the very odd occasion) and I hit them on target and for the most 'straight' save the odd slight fade/draw...

Does this seem a reasonable distance to you or would you be querying those sort of distances ?...

Any views on the subject would be most appreciated...

can't really use other folks club distance as a measure for your own

so would need to know stuff like the the swing speed with the 7i - the AoA - the dynamic loft at impact - the spin rate & where the strike location is off the face to really judge if potentially you could get more distance from a better club head delivery at impact

if say you are often times short of the 140 -ish mark with real high straight- ish flight & if the 7i generally tends to fly pretty high
    then you probably are leaving some distance along with a flight that won't be affected so much by wind through the current impact conditions

if either of these things sound like they could be happening then the likelihood is the dynamic loft at strike is too high so nearer the static loft build of the 7i
    & a trip to the Pro probably a good idea
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Q-School Graduate

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with how I'm hitting them and to be honest I'm producing better/more consistent shots than my mates are and my scores are good, mostly pars and bogeys (with the odd double and the odd birdie chucked in for good measure) so I'm not complaint as such, I just wondered if it was me falling below the standard or them exceeding the average, I'm quite stocky if you know what I mean (silverback ring any bells) but I've got quite a delicate swing for a gorilla or so I've been told anyway...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by the_coach View Post
    can't really use other folks club distance as a measure for your own

so would need to know stuff like the the swing speed with the 7i - the AoA - the dynamic loft at impact - the spin rate & where the strike location is off the face to really judge if potentially you could get more distance from a better club head delivery at impact

if say you are often times short of the 140 -ish mark with real high straight- ish flight & if the 7i generally tends to fly pretty high
    then you probably are leaving some distance along with a flight that won't be affected so much by wind through the current impact conditions

if either of these things sound like they could be happening then the likelihood is the dynamic loft at strike is too high so nearer the static loft build of the 7i
    & a trip to the Pro probably a good idea
    Yes I do get quite a lot of height in my shots which is something I've struggled with a bit and no they're not greatly effected by a crosswind but 'headwinds' almost bring me to tears as I loose so much distance when hitting into a headwind, to the point where I physically try to avoid playing on windy days...

7 iron distance with my ap2s is 155 average. 160 ripped. But can easily catch a weak flight and make a 140 carry. Consistency of strike is key when it comes to carry distances I find. Can easily hit a 6 iron 160 or 180 makes for hard work. But that's why we're amateurs I suppose!
    Driver - Taylormade M2 10.5 3 Wood - Taylormade R9 15*3 Hybrid - Callaway RAZR Tour 21* Irons - Titleist AP2 714 4-PW - Wedges - Titleist SM5 50* 54* Mizuno MP-R12 60/06 Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1 Ball - Prov1

Quote Originally Posted by Hosel Fade View Post
    Depends entirely on your size/age/general athletic ability. Play the club that you hit the yardage required, don't try and force an 8 10 yards extra just because your mate just hit 8.
    This.

No point in forcing a shot if it increases the likelihood of messing up, play the club that best matches your own swing and ability to hit the required yardage. I could potentially get 5-10 yards more out of my 7i (which is around 135-140 average), but the trade-off is I'm far less certain of the result. I'd rather take an extra club, swing a bit easier and be more sure of the outcome, than lashing it because my mate has hit 8 or 9 iron from the same distance and potentially leave myself in trouble.
    Pumpherston Golf Club

In The Bag

(Driver) Taylormade Aeroburner 12deg
    (3-wood) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 15deg
    (5-wood) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 18deg
    (Hybrid) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21deg
    (Irons) PING Karsten 5-SW Green Dot, PING Tour 58deg
    (Putter) PING Sigma G Tyne
    (Balls) Taylormade RBZ Stage2