View Poll Results: Do you want to wear a jacket and tie?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh yes!

16 14.04%
  • Oh no.

75 65.79%
  • meh

23 20.18%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacket and Tie

Re: Jacket and Tie

In the last 12 months I have played at RSG, St Georges Hill, the Berkshires, West Hill, Worplesdon, Hankley and Walton Heath, all required a change into jacket and tie for the dining room. No big deal IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    clothes don't guarantee decency, but they are capable of hiding idiots.
    What an excellent turn of phrase. I like that
    In the bag

Variations on the below

Callaway X2 Hot 8.5 Degree -Aldila ATX Tour Green X-Flex
    Callaway X2 Hot 18 Degree hybrid - Aldila ATX Tour Green Stiff
    Titlist T-MB 3 Iron - Stiff C Taper
    4-PW Srixon 545/745 Combo 4-PW - Stiff KBS Tour
    Callaway 50,56 and 60 Mackdaddy MD3 Wedges
    Putter And the winner is.... - RAA Classic centre shaft wand - Best thing since sliced bread

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Roops View Post
    Doesn't worry me at all. If I know beforehand a suit and tie goes into the car, if I am not sure, a suit and tie goes into the car, it's really not a problem. Would I want to do it every time, after I played golf, probably not, but if the club was great and it was a requirement, I see it as a small price to pay.
    Spot on.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

this tread cracks me up, not sure what some of you would do playing some of matches i play in, which require you to wear black tie for the dinner after

and we don't take or Jackets off to eat either...lol
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I think this is very true. I'm pleased I live in the north as I hate wearing a tie . I have yet to play a club that insists on J & T and yes I have played at some nice clubs.
    W

The only club we have in the north east that still has these "antiquated" rules
    Is "The" Northumberland golf club
    Though I believe they have 3 options now ( recently changed )
    Jacket & tie
    Jacket & shirt
    Shirt & tie

Have yet to play there
    But am doing so in August, whilst my club has a county game on, so have course courtesy
    Funnily enough, we're entitled to play their course, but that doesn't entitle us to use the clubhouse facilities afterwards....!!!

On another note
    The most expensive course to play or join in the north east is Close House, where you could wear jeans and trainers, or even shorts and flip flops to eat afterwards.......
    Last edited by moogie; 14-Jul-2017 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    this tread cracks me up, not sure what some of you would do playing some of matches i play in, which require you to wear black tie for the dinner after

and we don't take or Jackets off to eat either...lol
    Never played anywhere requiring black tie afterwards, but totally agree with your sentiments.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by moogie View Post

On another note
    The most expensive course to play or join in the north east is Close House, where you could wear jeans and trainers, or even shorts and flip flops to eat afterwards.......

Probably because it is a proprietary course and all the owner is interested in is his profit. Anything goes as long as punters are spending money

Quote Originally Posted by moogie View Post
    W

The only club we have in the north east that still has these "antiquated" rules
    Is "The" Northumberland golf club
    Though I believe they have 3 options now ( recently changed )
    Jacket & tie
    Jacket & shirt
    Shirt & tie

Have yet to play there
    But am doing so in August, whilst my club has a county game on, so have course courtesy
    Funnily enough, we're entitled to play their course, but that doesn't entitle us to use the clubhouse facilities afterwards....!!!

On another note
    Moogie, that was the only club I had in my head for that requirement so I am pleased you confirmed that. I haven't played there either but my BiL has on corporate days. Supposed to be nice. Not exceptional but nice. Hope you enjoy it, I'll ask you about it at the meet in September.

I was playing at Close House last Sunday, won a 4 ball at a trade show by dropping a business card in a jar . I was having a coffee in the clubhouse beforehand and a big bloke walked in with his wife and kid, they must have been staying in the accommodation. The bloke was wearing a muscleman vest, shorts and flip flops as you suggested. The man behind the bar did not blink and was as courteous as he would have been to anyone, everyone is a sir or madam there. There was another bloke sat there in his golf cap, indoors, in the bar!!!!!!!! I did have a little chuckle to myself. Anyone who has been to Close House will confirm it is anything but low grade, they show how to be relaxed and classy at the same time, although the bacon butties are a rip off .
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Assistant Pro

I don't 'want' to wear a jacket and tie but have no issue at all if that is what the club rules dictate. And in most cases it is only to eat in the dining room so members are perfectly OK to have a pint and sandwiches/chips in the bar in golf clothes if they want to.

As for these types of clubs dying out and being forced to change well that is utter nonsense. I know the manager at St Georges Hill, they have a waiting list as long as your arm. These types of club can still pick and choose who they let in.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Probably because it is a proprietary course and all the owner is interested in is his profit. Anything goes as long as punters are spending money
    Yup, and they keep coming back for more so he must be doing something right. I think he has the balance right, not that I can afford to play there often.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter