Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 165
  1. #31
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    279

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Heard a good podcast about this recently. The PGA are looking to effectively control the broadcast of their product themselves and the model of selling the exclusive rights to the highest TV company is probably numbered. Companies like Facebook and Twitter are entering the market which will shake things up a bit.

    The model up to yet has very much been to target a relatively small but mostly affluent bunch golf fans who will pay to watch your product via Sky TV. But that is probably not sustainable in the long term if the game is not engaging with the future viewers of tomorrow. Seems it may be moving more to try and get their product viewed/streamed by a wider (and younger) section of the population. And the social media companies will play a large part in this.
    Of the youngsters still won't watch it what with so much choice out there via social media and streaming etc and those that did watch it on Sky etc won't so they could have even less viewers in the short / medium term.

  2. #32
    Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    27,305

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by Reemul View Post
    Of the youngsters still won't watch it what with so much choice out there via social media and streaming etc and those that did watch it on Sky etc won't so they could have even less viewers in the short / medium term.
    If it's on You Tube etc where the viewing will no doubt be free why would the figures be less ?

  3. #33
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    7,790

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    If it's on You Tube etc where the viewing will no doubt be free why would the figures be less ?
    Rubbish broadband connection for many meaning the golf would be unwatchable. It would be there but buffering and iffy pictures mean it would not be worth trying. Fine for those who have great speeds.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  4. #34
    Ryder Cup Winner fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes, Bucks
    Posts
    12,740

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    If it's on You Tube etc where the viewing will no doubt be free why would the figures be less ?
    Plenty of older folk who watch on sky wont watch on youtube etc. My father fits 100% into this category and he wont be alone. If this group outnumbers the new viewers (at least initially) then the figure will be less
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

    Handicap: 7

  5. #35
    Money List Winner pauldj42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seaham
    Posts
    6,777

    Re: Us pga black out

    It would be free on Youtube with adverts, the main thing people moan about with Sky is adverts

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    54,724

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Rubbish broadband connection for many meaning the golf would be unwatchable. It would be there but buffering and iffy pictures mean it would not be worth trying. Fine for those who have great speeds.
    Add in to that a lack of awareness for many of where it is, and most will assume it's simply not being screened, especially in older demographics. Ad in obtrusive (possibly) advertising from the youtube/FB platform and it isn't making for an ideal viewing spectacle.

    The BBC won't touch it no matter how some still bang on about them. That ship has long sailed. I doubt if C4/5 would pick it up, especially as a one off as again it doesn't seem to fit their plans and seems doubtful they'd pool resource/cost into something with limited viewing appeal. Again as a viewer were that to happen I think the limitless ad breaks would make it poor viewing

  7. #37
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,110

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    Plenty of older folk who watch on sky wont watch on youtube etc. My father fits 100% into this category and he wont be alone. If this group outnumbers the new viewers (at least initially) then the figure will be less
    I expect the PGA have decided that it is prepared to take a short term hit to try and get growth in the long term. Also from a global perspective that I am sure the PGA are looking at this from, it might be the case that old folks who won't use social media in the Uk are a market they may be do not care a huge amount about, again in the long term. They may be targeting those demographics that advertisers like as that is how social media companies make their money, not through subscription services.
    Last edited by Hacker Khan; 14-Jul-2017 at 14:46.

  8. #38
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,110

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Add in to that a lack of awareness for many of where it is, and most will assume it's simply not being screened, especially in older demographics. Ad in obtrusive (possibly) advertising from the youtube/FB platform and it isn't making for an ideal viewing spectacle.

    The BBC won't touch it no matter how some still bang on about them. That ship has long sailed. I doubt if C4/5 would pick it up, especially as a one off as again it doesn't seem to fit their plans and seems doubtful they'd pool resource/cost into something with limited viewing appeal. Again as a viewer were that to happen I think the limitless ad breaks would make it poor viewing
    I somehow doubt that the PGA see Channel 5 as the future to be honest....

  9. #39
    Ryder Cup Winner fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes, Bucks
    Posts
    12,740

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    I expect the PGA have decided that it is prepared to take a short term hit to try and get growth in the long term. Also from a global perspective that I am sure the PGA are looking at this from, it might be the case that old folks who won't use social media in the Uk are a market they may be do not care a huge amount about, again in the long term.
    gotta love the lets screw over our existing customers to chase those who dont actually really want to be customers strategy
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

    Handicap: 7

  10. #40
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,110

    Re: Us pga black out

    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    gotta love the lets screw over our existing customers to chase those who dont actually really want to be customers strategy
    I expect there will be some kind of transition period where highlights are still available on 'normal' TV for us old fogies. It seems to be all about different platforms now, not just relying on one exclusive one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News