Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Us pga black out

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    For me Sky having a monopoly on golf wasn't good for the game - it forced people that do want to watch the game to pay for it and it seems to me that many decided against paying for it irrelevant of any fancying graphics etc they added. So if PgA and the Masters are looking at that and are looking for ways to opening up the viewing to more people that for me should be applauded. If it's all online then I expect the viewing figures to be higher than right now but not at much as when it used to be on BBC. Hopefully one of the terrestrial channels will go for more golf and if there are adverts then that might be the price to pay for having golf on free to air mediums.
    As much as I agree with the sentiment, do you honestly think the PGA of America or The Masters people actually care if it's shown on a terrestial channel in the UK if it's available on all the other platforms as rumoured.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    As much as I agree with the sentiment, do you honestly think the PGA of America or The Masters people actually care if it's shown on a terrestial channel in the UK if it's available on all the other platforms as rumoured.
    this.....

The UK market is just money to them so they will do what they think is right for their business model

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    For me Sky having a monopoly on golf wasn't good for the game - it forced people that do want to watch the game to pay for it and it seems to me that many decided against paying for it irrelevant of any fancying graphics etc they added. So if PgA and the Masters are looking at that and are looking for ways to opening up the viewing to more people that for me should be applauded. If it's all online then I expect the viewing figures to be higher than right now but not at much as when it used to be on BBC. Hopefully one of the terrestrial channels will go for more golf and if there are adverts then that might be the price to pay for having golf on free to air mediums.
    Why this BBC fixation. Their day is gone. It's a bygone generation. I really don't see how having it online is going to get these "massed" numbers. Most middle aged golfers will watch the channel because it's there but they aren't going to source it on a pad or PC or sit there watching it. That i'm afraid is an honest assessment and I really fail to see what the PGA hope to gain by this.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Why this BBC fixation. Their day is gone. It's a bygone generation. I really don't see how having it online is going to get these "massed" numbers. Most middle aged golfers will watch the channel because it's there but they aren't going to source it on a pad or PC or sit there watching it. That i'm afraid is an honest assessment and I really fail to see what the PGA hope to gain by this.
    Maybe it's not about the middle aged golfers, maybe it's about the next generation and putting onto the platforms they use, FBook/Twitter/Youtube etc, expanding the game rather than chasing those they've already got.

Maybe it's not about the middle aged golfers, maybe it's about the next generation and putting onto the platforms they use, FBook/Twitter/Youtube etc, expanding the game rather than chasing those they've already got.
    Agreed but really how many new and YOUNG golfers are they really going to generate? I don't accept that there are those out there that don't have Sky (courtesy of parents) already so how many others do you realistically think will benefit?

Agreed but really how many new and YOUNG golfers are they really going to generate? I don't accept that there are those out there that don't have Sky (courtesy of parents) already so how many others do you realistically think will benefit?
    Seriously! What about the rest of the world, the far east for example and the billions of kids stuck in front of computers.

Seriously! What about the rest of the world, the far east for example and the billions of kids stuck in front of computers.
    No idea but the thread is about Sky losing the PGA in the UK.

No idea but the thread is about Sky losing the PGA in the UK.
    No, it's about WHY Sky have not had their contract renewed by the PGA of America.

No, it's about WHY Sky have not had their contract renewed by the PGA of America.
    I fear we're off on a tangent so I'll make this my last response. It's about Sky losing the contract in preference of social media providers for want of a better generic description. My argument is that a) the majority of viewers are going to be older than teenagers who want to hit a channel on the remote and watch and not look online, b) most teenagers watch golf on Sky because dad pays the fee and they probably wouldn't bother searching and watching it themselves c) if you are new to golf would you even know it was shown and where to look for it if it's not on a TV and d) its the PGA!!

I fear we're off on a tangent so I'll make this my last response. It's about Sky losing the contract in preference of social media providers for want of a better generic description. My argument is that a) the majority of viewers are going to be older than teenagers who want to hit a channel on the remote and watch and not look online, b) most teenagers watch golf on Sky because dad pays the fee and they probably wouldn't bother searching and watching it themselves c) if you are new to golf would you even know it was shown and where to look for it if it's not on a TV and d) its the PGA!!
    Not bothered if you respond, 95% of all UK households have a TV, only 30% have Sky, so backing up Phils point, terrestial TV opens up a wider audience.

Not sure if you use social media, it is full of adverts promoting all sorts of events and products, young people use social media, look at the hideous profits FBook make, if you wish to get a new product exposure these days it has more success being launched through social media.

It really helps if you read whole threads before jumping in to point score against other posters.