Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Lewis Hamilton really doesn't get it

Ha ha. I think his face muscles are frozen like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I think you are missing the point. Hamilton was complaining that he doesn't feel loved by the British crowds. I was stating that some lack of love may be due to the fact that he is a tax exile in Switzerland. He didn't move there because he likes Milka chocolate, he just wants to pay lower taxes.
    The British public love to kick a star. Every up and coming sportsperson and celeb is loved till they reach the pinnacle of their chosen profession, and then they're are kicked and criticised. It's media driven, and the public are brainwashed.

As for who lives where; crikey, if someone told me where I had to live... well, the second word would off. Some people like the countryside and some prefer cities, it's their choice.

Rich people live in places they don't like purely for tax reasons... yeah, of course they do.

Should pay tax in a country they don't live in...why? Seriously, why?
    Give it big humpties

Hobbit, you are also missing the point. I don't expect anyone to pay taxes in a country where they don't live. He can live where he likes. However, I am saying don't expect EVERYONE in Britain to love you if you up sticks and leave solely to avoid paying your contribution to the country you were born in and profess to love. If you love it and want love from it then live here and pay your way. The doctors, nurses, care home assistants, paramedics, fire officers, police, bin men all need to be paid for. The country needs maintaining, protecting. That has to be paid for. Please don't tell me a young man in his 20's, I think that is about right, has always dreamed of living in Switzerland. He moved for money when he already has mountains of the stuff.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar

If money was no object I'm not sure I'd choose to live in the uk and tax avoidance wouldn't be my motivation for moving. Quality of life, standard of living, climate etc would be factors.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.1

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Assistant Pro

I think the job he has means he spends 10 months of the year travelling all over the world so why base yourself anywhere with high taxes as he doesn't really live there often or for long anyways.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    The British public love to kick a star. Every up and coming sportsperson and celeb is loved till they reach the pinnacle of their chosen profession, and then they're are kicked and criticised. It's media driven, and the public are brainwashed.

As for who lives where; crikey, if someone told me where I had to live... well, the second word would off. Some people like the countryside and some prefer cities, it's their choice.

Rich people live in places they don't like purely for tax reasons... yeah, of course they do.

Should pay tax in a country they don't live in...why? Seriously, why?
    the British don't like to kick a star. only the knobs

nigel mansel
    gary liniker
    damon hill
    Jessica enis
    jenson button

those are just a few off the top of my head that dont get a kicking. Hamilton is just an unlikeable bloke to most

Perhaps if he came back and paid UK taxes it would be a good start. Then he could also smile a little more and seem grateful that he gets paid vast amounts for driving a car around. He looks like a spoilt child who has just been told off half the time. Old Jenson moved to Monaco to avoid his taxes but at least he looked as though he was having a good time and appreciated the special position he was in. LH is all too precious.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerjoke View Post
    Agree pay your taxes.
    He is about as British as I am German total pleb
    Hobbit, you are also missing the point. I don't expect anyone to pay taxes in a country where they don't live. He can live where he likes. However, I am saying don't expect EVERYONE in Britain to love you if you up sticks and leave solely to avoid paying your contribution to the country you were born in and profess to love. If you love it and want love from it then live here and pay your way. The doctors, nurses, care home assistants, paramedics, fire officers, police, bin men all need to be paid for. The country needs maintaining, protecting. That has to be paid for. Please don't tell me a young man in his 20's, I think that is about right, has always dreamed of living in Switzerland. He moved for money when he already has mountains of the stuff.
    I think you have missed the point. Would you pay tax if you didnt have to? The answer is no. LH can afford not to pay tax because he is one of the best in the world at what he does, which means he can live where he wants. The British public, IMO, dont have an issue with him not paying tax, they love JB and he has done the same. People dont like him because he is a bit arrogant and they are jealous of his lifestyle. And those people, again IMO, are very very sad.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Callaway XR 10.5° - Projext X 6.0
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Blue
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50,54 & 58 all V-MG
    • Putter - Odyssey Tank Versa No.7
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP - 12.0
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by SaintHacker View Post
    Monaco, Switzerland, BVI wherever, you're just splitting hairs. If you were earning millions upon millions and could live anywhere you wanted that would mean you kept hold of lots of those millions you would, anyone who says they wouldn't is a liar.
    Not true for all and not lies, one of our clients clients is one of if not the the highest tax contributor in the UK (£30m + per year tax bill), guy pays all his tax in UK and takes nothing offshore, a lot of people including me have tremendous respect for him doing that, he's a wealth creator which a capitalist society needs, is incredibly wealthy himself but doesn't attempt to use questionable loopholes or relocation of money to dodge tax. He wants to be respected by society is his reason. Also is a philanthropist supporting numerous causes. Greed doesn't have to always be the goal. If only there were more like him.
    Cobra Biocell 1w
    Progen Chromo 3w, 3r and 4r
    Callaway Razr X Forged 4-pw
    Cleveland 588 gw
    Wilson Staff FG Tour lw
    S-Blade Curvewing putter

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Not true for all and not lies, one of our clients clients is one of if not the the highest tax contributor in the UK (£30m + per year tax bill), guy pays all his tax in UK and takes nothing offshore, a lot of people including me have tremendous respect for him doing that, he's a wealth creator which a capitalist society needs, is incredibly wealthy himself but doesn't attempt to use questionable loopholes or relocation of money to dodge tax. He wants to be respected by society is his reason. Also is a philanthropist supporting numerous causes. Greed doesn't have to always be the goal. If only there were more like him.
    LH also does a lot of extra curricular which isnt documented. Thats your clients choice to make and fair play to him, but if someone makes a choice to do something else why are they being chastised for it? Its his money so its his choice what he does with it, he earns it fairly and has moved to a location that he wants to (How do we know its not where he wants to live) because he can afford to.

As i said before, people get at him for getting at him sake or because they are jealous. How can you cast aspersions on someone that you dont know, he could be a really nice guy? maybe doesn't come across as it but maybe that's how he portrays himself in the media? I see a lot of mention of Ian Poulter on here, ive read his book and i think he has earned the right to do what he does and act the way he does.
    Last edited by Jates12; 14-Jul-2017 at 11:32.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Callaway XR 10.5° - Projext X 6.0
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Blue
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50,54 & 58 all V-MG
    • Putter - Odyssey Tank Versa No.7
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP - 12.0
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

I don't think I'm missing the point at all. I do think it is very small minded, bitter and jealously to dislike someone because they've moved out of the UK. Good luck to him. He's already paid more than enough tax to pay his way. Maybe if the UK was more attractive tax-wise it would get a reasonable percentage of something rather than a large percentage of nothing.

As for moving to avoid tax; I don't blame any high earner that does that. Someone on his sort of numbers - let's call it £20m per year would pay over £9m in tax and NI. There's paying your way and there's being well and truly ROBBED by the state. Cap it at £2m and although still high its more palatable.

Maybe he didn't think about moving out of the UK till it became apparent the state was robbing him blind. Good choice Lewis!

I'll be leaving next year for 2 reasons; climate and my pension will go 40% further...
    Give it big humpties