Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: big game ahead - finding the balance

Simply do not take on silly shots. that should keep silly blanks at bay so if playing well then your target should be achievable.
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Get hold of a copy of " golf is not a game of perfect" by Bob Rotella.
    Lots of sound advice on how to mentally deal with golf. Helped me to make my best rounds when it matters.

Assistant Pro

IMO Your golf game should be simple and be the same regardless of the level of competition

Stableford your goal is too score as many points as you can. I start each hole the same with looking at what gives me the best chance of scoring the most points. This generally is a 80% rule (if I cant execute the shot 80% of the time then don't take it on). Doesn't mean playing safe always just sensible.

Don't try to overcomplicate it and enjoy the experience

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Agree with this, relax and enjoy and add the score up at the end.
    Or let your partner tot it up & tell you how you were doing near the end. Recently shot a PB round my home course and seriously did not have a clue how well it was going until Slasher told me.

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    Or let your partner tot it up & tell you how you were doing near the end. Recently shot a PB round my home course and seriously did not have a clue how well it was going until Slasher told me.
    If I was playing against you I would have told you every hole.

I always know how I am going. If it is a stableford and I am over par I might take on a higher risk shot. If I am below handicap with a couple to play, I might play it safer.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Try to keep the ball in play as much as possible, just play steady golf; which i freely admit is easier said than done. Also, I find that having a visual image of what i want to do, really helps me commit to the shot.

I find that if i make a point of taking an interest in how my playing partners are doing, acknowledging their good shots and so on, stops me thinking too much on what im doing. It also makes for a better atmosphere, and for me that makes the game a bit easier.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

My start in a stableford or medal format is often poor but I am pretty darned good at matchplay. So for stableford or medal formats I currently am trying out playing bogey golf i.e.I play matchplay against the course, for about the first 6 or 7 holes. This means that say my first four holes are poor and I drop 4 shots holes. Now that would normally make me feel a bit down - but in bogey I might only be two down after four. Now I know in matchplay that I can easily get back from two down after four so that helps me stay positive. Thinking bogey score also helps me stop thinking shots dropped against par.

Either I am playing better or it is working for me. I don't know. But as a means of keeping me positive it seems to work.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Go out, play. Try and keep it in play, don't play hero shots and minimise the errors. Don't go out and TRY and score a particular number of points as a minimum

Yep - it's a game with play for fun , there should be next to no pressure because it's not our living.

Tee up ball hit it , walk , hit it again then walk. No point over thinking it

You make it sound so simple. It usually is and we (I) do what I can to make it more complicated that necessary